Society/Culture ABC to launch 24hr news channel - Murdoch declares warfare!

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the ABC. I love the podcasts, I love iView. They are world leaders in digital content. When you get used to listening to by design and counterpoint, it's hard to go back to commercial radio.

Just wanted to get that out there.

ZOMG, I mean I love rn but Alan Saunders is a total knob and Counterpoint is a hotbed of vile denialism, they tout Plimer like nothing else.

I am not crying. I see no reason why I as a conservative voter should be asked to fund a left wing media network. Privatise them and let people like you pay a subscription fee to watch whilst my money can be used on something important like hospitals or education.

The solution for me is simple, I do not watch the ABC at all. I just resent having to pay for it when there are mulitple other sources of news out there.

Frankly I find that extremely difficult to believe but be that as it may I can only imagine what a dull misinformed loser you must be.
By the way how much is it costing you per year to fund this 'left wing media network'??

Because the private sector will not do it. The private sector does run media outlets, it has the expertise and can make a buck from it. It is not rocket science.

You like the ABC, good on you, about 85% of the Australian population does not based on its ratings. Let the 15% who watch, pay. The rest of us can tune into the other media offerings that are available. What's more important the ABC or hospital waiting lists?

Reckon you've pulled that figure out of your arse.

Sky News (predictably) cracks the sad's

Sky falls on ABC's news channel

By Tim Leslie

The chief executive of Sky News has launched an attack on the ABC after the public broadcaster announced plans to set up a 24-hour news channel.

Seems that competition is just too much for the Murdoch mouth piece to bare!

"What we have now is a new channel at substantial cost to taxpayers that will duplicate services already available," he said.
And the Sky News chief also dismissed claims by ABC head Mark Scott that the channel would give Australians access to the best continuous news service in the country.
"The fact is that Sky News already broadcasts nationally not just one, but 14, 24-hour news and information channels," he said.

But Mumbrella, as always, nail it

The editor of media website Mumbrella, Tim Burrowes, says the channel will be good for the quality of Australian journalism.
"Competition is always a good thing; anywhere that you see journalists in competition for news then it can be a very, very good thing," he said.
"One of the jobs of the ABC is to keep the commercial players honest and you need a strong ABC to do that.
"And naturally if there's a strong 24-hour news channel with up-market news values, which is presumably what it will have, then that's going to be a pretty good indicator for that whole segment.
"If you look at the resources the ABC has anyway, it seems like a very sensible use of those resources," Mr Burrowes continued.

Seems that competition is just too much for the Murdoch mouth piece to bare!

It is hardly commercial opposition.

The editor of media website Mumbrella, Tim Burrowes, says the channel will be good for the quality of Australian journalism.

Well presumably he wants a govt funded national newspaper then

How about a govt owned supermarket chain, bit of a cartel there as well

A petrol station outlet, that is an area Kev is concerned about.

The list is endless: govt should compete everywhere with the private sector

The logic is compelling.

No meds, you are wrong.

The ABC provides an important public service, one of education.

It is more like a public library than a government funded supermarket chain.

Certain regional specific broadcasting (and news content on the web) which may be unprofitable for networks, educational programming and current affairs programs like 4 Corners and Landline, which do not have a genuine parallel in the commercial networks.

The ABC is also answerable to the public. This makes it more accountable than certain commercial stations which often compromise themselves for advertising revenue.

I regularly find the news programs on commercial networks appallingly biased or of low standard.

Simple reason because many have stronger political allegiances, due to the desire to curry favour with certain parties. Whether for advertising revenue from parties, political capital or idealogical stance of stakeholders.

As for the decreasing quality of news, fear, scandal and junk current affairs attract viewers. Most commercial networks and paytv news programs pedal a form of infotainment as opposed to genuine news. At least the BBC and ABC, do not have pressure to compromise content and quality for ratings.

Lastly not all people are computer savvy, there is still a contingent of the older generations who rely on the TV for news and current affair.

It is an educational public service I am happy to contribute tax towards, even for the programming I do not watch.

Paying for a tv station is not in anyway a social obligation nor should it be
Incorrect.

The ABC acting as a public broadcaster provides relatively unbiased news and educational programming.

Through the mediums of radio, television and the internet it provides a service that would be difficult or is not provided at all by commercial stations.

Much like public libraries we are better for it.

Hopefully we'll get the local State based ABC news from around the country. Sky now have a menu where you can tune to your local state based news but it's pretty ordinary.

Having lived and worked in most states/territories I love seeing what's going on. I wonder if they'll do those half hour weather forecasts for W.A. lol

Incorrect.

The ABC acting as a public broadcaster provides relatively unbiased news and educational programming.

Through the mediums of radio, television and the internet it provides a service that would be difficult or is not provided at all by commercial stations.

Much like public libraries we are better for it.

Nice opinion you have there pal. Really doesn't change the fact that people who do not benefit from ABC news should not be forced to pay for it.

Nice opinion you have there pal. Really doesn't change the fact that people who do not benefit from ABC news should not be forced to pay for it.

I don't drive a car, should I be forced to pay for roads? I don't go to school, should I have to pay for schools? I don't give a shit if a bunch of Arabs want to blow up some buildings, should I be forced to pay for soldiers to go to countries (that have very little to do with the people responsible) and kill other Arabs? I enjoy using drugs from time to time, should I have to pay for the drug squads employed to stop drug use? I haven't set foot in a library for years, should I have to pay for them too?

I don't drive a car, should I be forced to pay for roads? I don't go to school, should I have to pay for schools? I don't give a shit if a bunch of Arabs want to blow up some buildings, should I be forced to pay for soldiers to go to countries (that have very little to do with the people responsible) and kill other Arabs? I enjoy using drugs from time to time, should I have to pay for the drug squads employed to stop drug use? I haven't set foot in a library for years, should I have to pay for them too?

Pretty much no for most of them. Look up Minarchism. That's my position on most things. That doesn't mean however that everything can be privatised or paid through voluntary at the drop of a hat bit. Roads for example can't be completely privatised tomorrow, it wouldn't work. Same thing with a lot of things. However a tax payer funded tv station is not something that has been funded by taxpayers for a hundred years like Roads have(something that'd take a gradual process before privatising).

And for future reference, don't bring up the drug example as I'm completely against prohibition and do think it's totally ****ed that you have to pay for drug squads.

Because the private sector will not do it. The private sector does run media outlets, it has the expertise and can make a buck from it. It is not rocket science.

The private sector has and will continue to provide private armies, from blackwater to private mercenaries in Africa to the fact that in the 1600-1800s, it did exist for some venture companies to carry their own protection. I find it hard to believe that the private sector, if allowed, would not jump at military companies. It is only disallowed because states don't like competition.

People say there's no choice, only one army, yet there are other national armies, no-one's forcing us to fight, we choose to, yet tax payers have to pay. As much as we could not have a government funded ABC, we could also have a privatsed army, and not fight foreign battles at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ABC provides an important public service, one of education.

Very, very debatable.

The ABC is also answerable to the public.

It does not act like it.

I regularly find the news programs on commercial networks appallingly biased or of low standard.

ABC is every bit (if not far more) biased. It is the Fairfax of TV.

Whether for advertising revenue from parties, political capital or idealogical stance of stakeholders.

No ideology from ABC employees then?

As for the decreasing quality of news, fear, scandal and junk current affairs attract viewers.

Imagine that a service provider giving the public what they want.

At least the BBC and ABC, do not have pressure to compromise content and quality for ratings.

ie they can produce rubbish that noone wants to watch and it doesnt matter.

Wasnt Kath and Kim on the ABC?

It is an educational public service I am happy to contribute tax towards, even for the programming I do not watch.

You must forgive me for having not grasped the educational value of the above program.

No they should.

I don't watch it much, should I then only pay for a small amount under the current scheme?

I don't go to the library anymore, why do I have to pay taxes for that.

Same with schools.

If you can't afford to be educated, you don't deserve it.;)

Education, public works and health are truly worthy of our tax dollars. Whilst the criteria for measuring these things are not absolute, the most developed nations/those with the highest standards of living, are ones which strike a good balance and have invested in public education.

Within the context of Australia as it is now, I think I have a very solid case. All you have is an ideological position which you confuse with absolute one.

Whilst I am essentially apolitical, there are aspects of libertarianism and anarchism which could appeal to me. Unfortunately in the purest sense neither is a perfect system, where current political and social issues play a big part in concepts that are successfully transferable from either (see deregulation of the banking industry in the US).

LMFAO!

Yeah, no one wanted to watch Kath and Kim :rolleyes:

I guess tht's why the Yanks decided to buy the right to it! While it was populr it was one of the best rating shows on TV! And, yes, it is GREAT that we have a public broadcaster willing to take risks on Australian productions like K+K that the commercial modelled stations wouldn't touch. Like so much of ABC material that eventually gets poached by commercial TV once its made a name for itself. Or JJJ is another great example, you know you are doing something right when a new commercial station (Nova anyone?) comes along and builds a business model on JJJ's successes and poaches artists (Hilltip Hoods?) for their playlists!

God you fail at everything meds! :D

HAhaha, you're SUCH a numpty Meds!

Ratings

This section requires expansion. Kath & Kim premiered on 15 May 2002 and became one of ABC's highest rated shows. When the show premiered on the Seven Network, it became the highest rating episode in Australian television history, until the record was broken by Nine Network's Underbelly: A Tale of Two Cities on February 9, 2009. The fourth season of Kath & Kim debuted with a record breaking 2.511 million viewers peaking at 2.731 million. In its second and third episodes viewers fell to 1.994 & 1.817 million respectively, however viewers then rebounded for its fourth and fifth episodes with ratings of 2.047 & 2.157 million respectively. Strong ratings continued with viewers of 2.049 and 2.066 million for the sixth and seventh episodes. The eighth episode and season finale rated 2.338 million giving the fourth season an average viewership of 2.122 million, making it the highest rating series in Australia for 2007 and the highest rating of all four series of the show.[citation needed]
Channel Seven have since started showing repeats of the show from season one onwards which had previously only aired on the ABC network. The repeats have proved quite successful, rating 1.465 and 1.530 so far, winning in a very competitive timeslot and being amongst the highest rating shows of the week.[6]

The fourth season of Kath & Kim began airing on the Seven Network on 19 August 2007 at 7:30pm, due to contract expiring with ABC. The first season four episode attracted an Australian audience of 2.521 million nationally,[3] making the highest rating ever for a first episode in the history of Australian television.[3]

No they should.

I don't watch it much, should I then only pay for a small amount under the current scheme?

I don't go to the library anymore, why do I have to pay taxes for that.

Same with schools.

If you can't afford to be educated, you don't deserve it.;)

Education, public works and health are truly worthy of our tax dollars. Whilst the criteria for measuring these things are not absolute, the most developed nations/highest standards of living are ones which strike a good balance and have invested in public education.

Within the context of Australia as it is now, I think I have a very solid case. All you have is an ideological position which you confuse with absolute one.

Whilst I am essentially apolitical, their are aspects of libertarianism and anarchism which could appeal to me. Unfortunately in the purest sense neither is a perfect system in which current political and social issues play a big part.

I addressed most of that in the previous post to BP. Comparing certain things like roads, education(things that can't be privatised a the drop of a hat but would have to be through a gradual process) are not at all the same as a tax payer funded tv station.

24 hour news channel?? Just thiunk of the bordom

At least 2 hours a day better be dedicated to sports news otherwise I can not see myself watching it. Massive waste of tax payers money

Yeah, no one wanted to watch Kath and Kim :rolleyes:

Obviously the point is lost on you

Either the ABC is educational or its not.

Even if one program (and one swallow doesnt make a summer) rates well it does not do so across the board.

Or JJJ is another great example,

Yes it is a great example. What on earth is the govt doing running a station like that?

Very, very debatable.

It does not act like it.

ABC is every bit (if not far more) biased. It is the Fairfax of TV.

No ideology from ABC employees then?

Imagine that a service provider giving the public what they want.

You must forgive me for having not grasped the educational value of the above program.
As for the highlighted you must be joking meds.

Personally I don't buy into your left/right ideological dichotomy.
I respect neither major party and have never voted for candidates from either.

I actually find the ABC quite conservative and very balanced in comparison to the major networks and the paytv news programs I have watched.

Many people have ideologies/agendas, I do not believe this natural tendency is strongly reflected in the ABC's programming. Issues from both spectrums, politicians, policies and parties are regularly scrutinised.

As for giving the public what it wants, yes to a degree this is a valid point. But if the issue is looked at more deeply I would argue that your point stems from the fact that many people enjoy avoiding reality. They want to be entertained. Escapism is a very profitable business in many of it's forms (some of the most profitable). Given many peoples propensity to also be easily manipulated by sensationalism and fear, it is a natural choice for profit driven networks to opt more for entertainment of this form than actual news (genuine news just cannot compete).

I actually think this makes a public broadcaster more necessary, as it somewhat balances the commercial stations and forces them to provide that bit extra info as opposed to entertainment.

It does not matter whether you think the ABC "acts" like it is not answerable to the public, the fact remains it is. A public broadcaster could not weather the scrutiny in which popular news programs, like fox news do. It would be a political disaster.

You also avoid a few crucial points. Educational programming (e.g. children's, Australia specific historical documentaries), serious current affairs programming and regional specific shows (especially for country viewers). Many of which could not survive on a non public broadcaster but have considerable value. Some of these programs not only have value now, but a few will end up in those public libraries we mentioned meds and the ABC archives also have immense value.

Next you ignore the undue influence advertising has on the honesty/integrity of commercial stations.

The case you make is quite hollow and seems mainly based on partisan leanings.

Obviously the point is lost on you

Either the ABC is educational or its not.

Even if one program (and one swallow doesnt make a summer) rates well it does not do so across the board.

Yes it is a great example. What on earth is the govt doing running a station like that?
That does not even make sense.

Stating that they have programming which provides entertainment in no way contradicts my point.

Another function of the ABC is that it promotes Australian artists and comedians, this has cultural value and you will find most of our top TV comedians and in a couple of cases shows, began on the ABC.

What I will say is that there is an argument for removing this section of the ABC's content, though I think you would find heavy industry opposition (maybe not from networks but individual actors, presenters and public figures).

Personally though I think in regards to this content your argument is far more solid and I would not dispute it's removal though I believe the Australian entertainment industry would be poorer for it.

The case you make is quite hollow and seems mainly based on partisan leanings.

The vast majority accept that public broadcasters lean to the left (if not the public service as a whole). That is hardly controversial. See Rudd at Copenhagen and the BBC.

Their is no logical reason for a state owned broadcaster to exist.

If there were an issue re lack of objectivity re news etc then the vacuum would be filled (as per Fox News in the US)

Next you ignore the undue influence advertising has on the honesty/integrity of commercial stations.

No, more that others can only see bias on one side of the fence.

Regardless of all that I can live with the ABC

SBS on the other hand...

Another function of the ABC is that it promotes Australian artists and comedians, this has cultural value and you will find most of our top TV comedians and in a couple of cases shows, began on the ABC.

That is really clutching at straws

It is right up there with the argument for public funding of the ballet because Australians are so uncultured and thus won't pay for it.

What I will say is that there is an argument for removing this section of the ABC's content, though I think you would find heavy industry opposition (maybe not from networks but individual actors, presenters and public figures).

Of coure actors would be against it. It would take their snouts out of the trough.

The vast majority accept that public broadcasters lean to the left (if not the public service as a whole). That is hardly controversial. See Rudd at Copenhagen and the BBC.

Their is no logical reason for a state owned broadcaster to exist.

If there were an issue re lack of objectivity re news etc then the vacuum would be filled (as per Fox News in the US)

No, more that others can only see bias on one side of the fence.

Regardless of all that I can live with the ABC

SBS on the other hand...
Prove it.

I have provided several logical reasons, the only argument you have is in regards to taxes (personal property). And whilst on a superficial level it is often an admirable one, in some cases taxation is necessary and I believe a very compelling case exists in this regard. I also think it would be ridiculous to assume that if the ABC did not exist you would be taxed any less, nor that it would go towards a better use, givin both the current and previous governments ineptitude when it came to spending/investing the publics money.

Anyway what the ABC is supposed to provide is a balanced viewpoint or one with minimal bias. Arguing that having two left/right wing rags equates the same thing is a tad ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back