Society/Culture ABC to launch 24hr news channel - Murdoch declares warfare!

Remove this Banner Ad

As meds has pointed out, there's liberty and there's anarchy.

The ABC is valuable. It disseminates educational content the commercial channels wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

It trains people in the industry - none of the commercials do much training. This includes technical staff, writers, actors and so on.

It creates some great programming and brings in great shows that other stations would never be brave enough to bring to the Australian public.

It is now on a mission to explore new methods of content delivery the other outlets (radio, print and TV) have been shying away from. Once the ABC perfects them you bet the commercials will be all over them like a rash.

Do some people in the ABC get full of themselves? Sure. But it is probably the most studied, dissected and criticised media outlet in the country.

And that is a good thing.

^^ Gerard Henderson gets a fair run too, considering how much he slags off Aunty and all

Do I hear a dexter fan or is this just one of your sayings?

LOL, I think I picked it up from The Wire actually, haven't done Dexter yet, people keep saying how good it is but I'm sceptical (not often you'll hear me saying that :p).

Hopefully we'll get the local State based ABC news from around the country. Sky now have a menu where you can tune to your local state based news but it's pretty ordinary.

Having lived and worked in most states/territories I love seeing what's going on. I wonder if they'll do those half hour weather forecasts for W.A. lol

Understatement of the year...they've got a nerd who looks like the nerdy dude from the first season of the office...awful

****in' ay! :thumbsu: Somalia is another example of "libertarianism" in action :p

:rolleyes:

Clearly someone doesn't understand the libertarian position of not being allowed to infringe on any others rights or initiate force against another, something that isn't respected in Somalia.

So taxes for things that you like and what protect you, but nothing for anything you don't like and which protect others? I wish I lived in the minarchist fantasy world! :p

But, no, I was more commenting on the idological thrust of the debate that you two have taken the thread on.

So taxes for things that you like and what protect you, but nothing for anything you don't like and which protect others? I wish I lived in the minarchist fantasy world! :p

But, no, I was more commenting on the idological thrust of the debate that you two have taken the thread on.

Lolz. No. Taxes which prevent physical force that threatens EVERYONES freedom of action and liberty actually. But as I've explained quite a few times now, I have no intention nor am I arguing for a Minarchist world to be implemented tomorrow. There are many things that can be done that lean toward free markets however i.e. being against forcing people to pay for a tv station they don't watch ;) Nothing fantasy about that.

But your comments didn't make any sense.
somalia=/=libertarian or free markets or minarchism.

What rights? You don't have any other than those granted to you by the state.

I'm not gonna touch this one.

However all I was saying is that Somalia isn't a representation of the libertarian views of self-ownership and the non-aggression principle as BP was implying. However I'm not gonna get in an argument with you about the validity of the non-aggression principle, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not gonna touch this one.

Come on, placebo. Touch it.

Let's imagine a state whose only power is that of protecting rights, rather than enacting what some might call social responsibilities. Effectively, all such a state could do is have an executive police function.

I hardly think a government that is tasked solely with policing, that can only exercise its monopoly on violence, is the best form of government.

Come on, placebo. Touch it.

Let's imagine a state whose only power is that of protecting rights, rather than enacting what some might call social responsibilities. Effectively, all such a state could do is have an executive police function.

I hardly think a government that is tasked solely with policing, that can only exercise its monopoly on violence, is the best form of government.

Police, courts and army yes and also a clear constitution limiting the governments powers. Again, that is an ideal, not what I'm asking to be implemented at the drop of a hat nor what I'm even arguing for at all in this country at the moment as it's not practical at this moment in history.
And I tend not to care what you think is the best form of government. :)

Why would it solely be policing?

Protecting property rights entails far more than that. Anti fraud measures for example, anti monopoly powers, copyright laws etc.

A very successful form of government

See Hong Kong. Rose from a fishing village to one of the richest cities in Asia on that model.

Police, courts and army yes and also a clear constitution limiting the governments powers.

Limiting a govts powers is a great idea - but how often does it happen? The UK recently abolished double jeopardy, which is an excellent principle, but due to popular opinion it has vanished into thin air.

Again, that is an ideal, not what I'm asking to be implemented at the drop of a hat nor what I'm even arguing for at all in this country at the moment as it's not practical at this moment in history.

An ideologue being practical! Jebus.

And I tend not to care what you think is the best form of government. :)

Unlike a lot here, I don't idealise a 'best form of government'. I certainly don't think one limited to police functions is going to be a very liberal government for too long, though.

Why would it solely be policing?

Protecting property rights entails far more than that. Anti fraud measures for example, anti monopoly powers, copyright laws etc.

Effectively all that is vested in the government is policing, rather than the provision of services.

A very successful form of government

See Hong Kong. Rose from a fishing village to one of the richest cities in Asia on that model.

The government owns all the land, does it not? You can own your land here.

Gravy, what is it you think a country limited to police, courts and national defense will actually lead to (in reference to saying it wouldn't stay a very liberal government for very long)? It's as if you are implying I want a police state or something.

The government owns all the land, does it not? You can own your land here.

I believe so. You can purchase on leasehold basis. A property lawyer told me recently that freehold was a misnomer as it merely denoted a 999 year lease from the Crown. No idea if this applies in Australia as well.

Why do we need the ABC and SBS?

Gravy, what is it you think a country limited to police, courts and national defense will actually lead to (in reference to saying it wouldn't stay a very liberal government for very long)? It's as if you are implying I want a police state or something.

No, I'm not implying you want a police state. I'm saying that this ideal of a state that is limited to protecting rights (which means its only function is upholding the law) will inevitably lead to a police state.

Because if we don't have public broadcasters nurturing otherwise unprofitable talent (often to the point that it is hugely profitable, see Good News Week or Kath and Kim, or any other ABC creation poached by the commercial networks, for example) then all broadcasting is reduced to the lowest common denominator; ie. sports, "reality" TV and lifestyle programmes. Somewhere along the way we as a society realised that it was of benefit to society to invest in public broadcasting.

No, I'm not implying you want a police state. I'm saying that this ideal of a state that is limited to protecting rights (which means its only function is upholding the law) will inevitably lead to a police state.

I really don't see how a government based on the very principles of non-aggression and negative liberty would lead to a police state.

I believe so. You can purchase on leasehold basis. A property lawyer told me recently that freehold was a misnomer as it merely denoted a 999 year lease from the Crown. No idea if this applies in Australia as well.

I don't mind the leasehold idea, especially if it's done in the Henry George ideals - but I wouldn't consider it liberal.

I don't think we need them. Frankly, I think SBS has outlived its usefulness.

The ABC still provides excellent service and is a cultural resource. If it did not exist, then neither would have The Micallef P(r)ogram(me), which is probably the greatest show ever put on Australian TV. That's why I am happy to defend it.

Also, having watched 'ABC' broadcasts in South East Asia, I think it does an excellent job representing Australia's interests. Maybe it is a propaganda tool, but no worse than something like Radio Free Europe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back