Draft Review 2010 - Revisit the 2010 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
what picks do you think clubs got wrong in 2010 draft pre season draft, rookie draft, could be a player a club over looked, could be positions they over looked anything, What are the mistakes you think will bite clubs in the butt.

Conca before Heppell reminds me of tambling before Buddy...
I disagree. Sorta.

Conca before Prestia, Caddy or Atley - ie generic sorta mid-sized versatile type over "pure midfielder" could be the next 'Myers over Palmer'.
{It could also just as well be the next 'Dangerfield over Ebert too}.
In fact anyone over Prestia could come back & hurt. I like guys who can come in & make one spot theirs in their 1st or 2nd years. With Conca it's a bit hard to predict exactly where that'll be early on - even Heppell & Polec are a bit in the same boat. Could see Prestia roving all year.

If I'd one criticism of Essendon, it'd be that neglected small forwards again & went for one too many mid-sized defenders. I guess they may've done something different if they knew they'd get Hibberd PSD.

Personally I think Prestia will be one of the best out of this draft, though I can see why the players before him were selected.

Brodie Smith has been mentioned as a player that could go either way. At least that is what I kept reading from draft watchers

It will be interesting to see how Pitt goes V perhaps Darling. Hard to tell immediately as Pitt will take a while and Darling should play straight away. Hard to fault our drafting of recent years so I'm backing the club in.
After watching a bit of training this year I think a few clubs might regret not taking Viv Michie. Kid is a little beauty. Reads the ball like a book, super in traffic and excellent skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm questioning our choice of Tom Hill late in the draft. Of course it's nothing major as our earlier picks were tied up in F/S choices, which caused our late picks to be almost speculative (Skinner, who is an extremely popular player for pick 88, and Hill). But now we have a bit of a log jam with young talls on our list.

Would have rathered we took someone like Ben Caseley, who would have been a similar tall player but more suited to playing defense, where we will have a need in time. Or barring that, we took Luke Dahlhaus in the rookie draft. Given Dahl's form on the training track and his playing style he could easily have been drafted to our senior list to offer some more pace.

I thought we did reasonably well this year all things considered. Everyone has impressed so far.

Only worry was the Hill trade to hawthorn. Not sure what we were doing there + letting Faulks slip to Fremantle.

My take on it

I cant really pick a fault with West Coast's drafting in 2010 except maybe the father son selection of Brennan but with a late pick its not a massive biggie if he doesnt come off. Darling & Lycett basically fell into our lap with there pics

MISTAKES
Brisbane - Went to early with Karnezis i think. Ryan Lester the jury could be out on but he adds much needed tall depth to there backline
Fremantle - Really think they should've used there first pick on Darling. See what happens with Pitt
Hawthorn - Missed out on Pat McCarthy or Jed Lamb when they went for Smith. Could be a mistake
Melbourne - Went too early on Cook when Darling was available. Thought Darling was a monty to go to Melbourne
Port - Got a gun junior in Ben Jacobs but passing up on Scott Lycett could be a mistake

NOT MISTAKES
Carlton - Got a steal with McCarthy and potentially Luke Mitchell
Geelong - Did the right thing drafting Smedts over McCarthy and Issac Smith
North - Got a steal in Shaun Atley and Harper if he can get his consistency right. Massive X factor with him
Richmond - Tom Derycx. Slipped through the draft but his a mature age, big body ready to make an impact early if his fitness levels are good enough
St. Kilda - Getting Jamie Cripps will be gold for them. Most definately under the roof of the Dome where his run and carry will be loved
Sydney - Luke Parker. Honestly he should've gone better than Sydney's 2nd pick. Suits Sydney football really well and could be primed as a future replacement for Jude Bolton in the middle.
Western Bulldogs - Wallis & Liberatore. Enough said :D

The biggest mistake for me was Essendon taking Steinberg with their 2nd pick when Hallahan and Parker were both available and exactly the type of player they need. Essendon were already stocked with yound talls and probably could have taken Times New Roman Steinberg later in the draft.
That being said, Heppell was a great pick for them though and could be the Selwood / Palmer mid first round pick who takes the league by storm.

I actually think you're running a huge risk making a "Player X is a mistake" statement before even a match has been played. A lot of these "mistakes" are mere "variation from what I expected based on reading 12 different phantom drafts".

That said, I was as surprised Port didn't take a ruck as I was surprised Ess didn't take a crumber.

Thread should be renamed "Which club do you think made a mistake based off Phantom drafts you read on BF". I doubt many if any of you have seen these kids play.

Only clubs you could make a call on would be the ones that picked up recycled players. For example, I think Miller was a waste of a Rookie spot, insurance or not. Unless you all have time machines this thread is as dumb as the "Which club did the best out of the 2010 draft".

MISTAKES
Brisbane - Went to early with Karnezis i think. Ryan Lester the jury could be out on but he adds much needed tall depth to there backline
Fremantle - Really think they should've used there first pick on Darling. See what happens with Pitt
Melbourne - Went too early on Cook when Darling was available. Thought Darling was a monty to go to Melbourne
Port - Got a gun junior in Ben Jacobs but passing up on Scott Lycett could be a mistake

It's a wonder that Darling and Lycett didn't go 1 and 2. But seriously, in a couple years you should understand why nobody else wanted Darling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back