Expansion Good Friday Football is here!

Remove this Banner Ad

The holiday itself is originally meant for a day of reflection. I know the majority of people in today's society and beliefs don't give a toss. However Good Friday wasn't meant to be exploited for a money grabbing football spectacle.

As far as I see it either:

Scrap the good friday holiday and play football.
OR
Keep the for holiday what it's meant for and give footy a miss for a day.

However I will say, if the money made by a good friday game does go directly to the RCH appeal, then this is a decent comprimise.

The afl should be in no way dictated to by any religious event as it should be a secular organisation. You can still have the public holiday and play footy, if 2 day a year christians want to reflect then by all means do so

Someone pointed out on the vflfooty.com forums that there is a number of games the same day in Bendigo! (by the local league - including one at the QEO).

Since Port Melbourne and Bendigo play each other twice, maybe the VFL should flip the fixture and may Port host the game.

THEN they should make it that all gate takings go to the RCH appeal, which should get the game some publicity on Channel 7 and in the paper, and hopefully that would help draw a bumper crowd (and raise some $$$ for the RCH).

A day game involving Adelaide v WCE, Syd v WCE, or Syd v Adelaide, and a night game involving 2 Vic teams (can't be Carlton as they play on Easter Thursday against Brisbane every year, can't be Hawthorn as they play Geelong on Easter Monday every year).

If done properly, could turn Easter Friday into a blockbuster footy day akin to the NFL's Thanksgiving. At the moment we give a free-pass to other codes that have no qualms playing on Good Friday.

I am not religous and don't really see why those that are should be able to prevent footy on Good Friday but why the heck can't we have a day off footy during the season? For all the talk of the leg up to other codes, none of them have made any impact on the AFL or any inroads into the AFL'S dominance as a national code.

The only argument against it would be the good crowds the lower leagues get- let the lower tier football clubs have their day to attract supporters.

Same reason why I don't want a foundation day game in WA.

I like this, make it one of the few days in the year when the second league comps can make a big deal

if the AFL want to get in on it though, a Melbourne game should be between North and the Blues (due to proximity to the RCH), with a massive chunk of the profits from the game donated to the hospital.

a lot of people won't like the game being on Good Friday, but knowing its for charity will help

why the heck can't we have a day off footy during the season?

You mean apart from all the Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and nearly every Thursday and Monday?

and EVERY DAY from October to February!!!

One more will make all the difference will it?

Give us real reasons not silly made-up ones.

I am not religous and don't really see why those that are should be able to prevent footy on Good Friday but why the heck can't we have a day off footy during the season? For all the talk of the leg up to other codes, none of them have made any impact on the AFL or any inroads into the AFL'S dominance as a national code.
We do have days off from Footy, they are called Monday - Thursday.

Collingwood v Essendon would be perfect. Huge double-header along with ANZAC Day.

Cool. Will that be the 3rd return leg and more importantly what pointless trophy can we play it for.

The only argument against it would be the good crowds the lower leagues get- let the lower tier football clubs have their day to attract supporters.

Same reason why I don't want a foundation day game in WA.

Last years twilight WAFL game on Good Friday between Subiaco and East Perth had a bumper crowd and it really was a good evening out. I would love to see it kept at this level of football so that we can all get back to watching some grass roots footy and have them benefit from it financially.

Last time I heard it was a decision made by the AFL administration not the churches although they have had an opinion that it should only be played of an evening, so vent at Andy not those who believe. Just for the record, the most important day of the Easter celebration and in fact of the entire Christian calendar is actually Easter Sunday not Good Friday so as I said it's the AFL not the church.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good Friday is the most boring day of the year. If you don't want footy on Good Friday then simply don't watch it! Why do most people who want footy on Good Friday have to suffer because a few religious zealots have a sulk?

I think donating a portion of the money made through gate takings should be given to charity, and the money possibly to be donated from a let's say Hawks vs. Geelong game would be huge.

rfctiger74;23034694........ said:
if the AFL want to get in on it though, a Melbourne game should be between North and the Blues (due to proximity to the RCH), with a massive chunk of the profits from the game donated to the hospital........

That'd be right, the one big blockbuster we do get and we have to hand over the profits.:eek:

Good Friday is the most boring day of the year. If you don't want footy on Good Friday then simply don't watch it! Why do most people who want footy on Good Friday have to suffer because a few religious zealots have a sulk?

Zealots:eek::eek:

Give it a rest mate, hysteria is not good for your health.

It was originally meant to commemorate the death of Jesus, a man who we now know probably didn't exist (at least certainly not in the way the Bible claims).

That was inferred. But if you think Christ didn't actually exist, well, we better be consistent and go back in the history books and put question marks over all historical figures then. Yes Christ's divinity is widely debated.

So you advocate all money making enterprises be shut on Good Friday?

No, resturants, chemists etc. should still be allowed to operate like any other public holiday. But I just think over the years traditionally being a day of rest and reflection, events like footy can be given a miss on Good Friday.

If society doesn't like Good Friday for what is it, scrap it back to a normal friday.

Thank goodness I am yet to see why there should not be a match on. If Melbourne is so focused on a silly charity thing, then put 2 of of Melbourne teams playing....

I wouldn't call raising money for sick kids a silly charity.
That said, I'm all for the footy on Good Friday. A game of footy would not affect the donations, infact it would probably help it.
The Channel 7 telethon is very ordinary viewing and it's amazing the public donate the amounts they do given Channel 7's lame 'gala concert' or whatever they call it that comes on at 8.30. Most people have donated by 7.30 anyway - 7 hold back on big corporate donations towards the end of the evening to to make it worthwhile viewing.

Bendigo league to move the match at QEO will be the next step.

Why should they? It's Sandhurst's home ground and the BFL draw was out 3 weeks ago - plenty of time for the VFL and Bendigo Bombers to make other arrangements.

With the redevelopment of QEO now completed, you'll get a few thousand make the journey up for that match.

And if it were to go ahead I'm betting Gisborne vs Kyneton will outdraw it easily.

Why should they? It's Sandhurst's home ground and the BFL draw was out 3 weeks ago - plenty of time for the VFL and Bendigo Bombers to make other arrangements.

And if it were to go ahead I'm betting Gisborne vs Kyneton will outdraw it easily.

You can bet your bottom dollar that it the fixtured match won't be moved to Windy Hill.

Here's why:

1. This is the final year of the Bendigo/Essendon alignment. Already Bendigo has dropped the Bombers nickname and it has its own jumper (think Port Melbourne's but purple and gold stripes with the Bendigo FC logo).

2. It is Bendigo's first home game at the venue for a year due to the redevelopment of the oval itself and the rooms. It was seeking a showpiece match as early as August this year for it. A match on Good Friday afternoon fits that bill nicely.

3. They can make it a QEO double-header with Sandhurst that night..just push back the time to allow for the VFL boys to leave. Football in Bendigo needs such an event.

Interest in the Bendigo franchise had only ever been lukewarm at best before Essendon took over the show - now it is just viewed as some 'bastard child'.

You cannot even start to win the 'hearts and minds' of Bendigonians until the divorce is complete, and you certainly will not help yourself out by pissing on the local comp (which many take pretty seriously).

Incidentally, there are 3 BFL matches on that day, 2 in Bendigo and 1 at Gisborne.

But if you think Christ didn't actually exist, well, we better be consistent and go back in the history books and put question marks over all historical figures then.

I didn't say otherwise, did I?

The Bible isn't a history book.

Yes Christ's divinity is widely debated.

Jesus was clearly not divine. His existence itself is suspect.

No, resturants, chemists etc. should still be allowed to operate like any other public holiday. But I just think over the years traditionally being a day of rest and reflection, events like footy can be given a miss on Good Friday.

Talk about inconsistent.

If society doesn't like Good Friday for what is it, scrap it back to a normal friday.

AFL is society now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back