30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
Erin Riley's air mattress
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone else sick of this?

It takes a couple of forms.

1. Outright lying.
Tim Watson in the game against Geelong said that Gieschen admitted it was a 'buddy rule'.

Ah, no.

Jeff Gieschen - July 26, 2010. "Most players have a bit of a natural arc. There's not too many who run directly to the man standing the mark and go straight over his head."

2. Confusion with players who have just outright played on

Story: Herald Sun - by Mike Sheahan
SO Jeff Gieschen has decreed Hayden Ballantyne's kick for goal in Perth on Sunday night illegal. It is a determination that threatens to come back to haunt him.

Well it's not because they're not the same. Ballantyne ran completely off his mark, just as Franklin did in NAB 1 against Melbourne. It's an umpire error, not an error in the rulebook.

And now for some reason there is no arc allowed when kicking after a siren. . . Can anyone explain why this is? If an arc isn't play on before the siren, then why is it play on after the siren?

totally seen other players run with an arch in their run up had a tool going on about buddy while he lined up after the siren i said mate there are plenty of others that have his arch too and he knows that it is play on in that situation in the last step he went slightly sideways and the guy goes thats play on, i said last foot who cares shut up and deal with it

couple of years ago he found out no arch after siren not sure why it is like that after they did say back then cause it was debated again about his arch

What about players who line up on, or near the boundry facing away from the boundry to have a snap shot at goal ? The second they take one step it is play on and could never be done after the siren. Players like Stevie J who rely on this method to even get close on a set shot would be screwed.
At least Buddy's is a NATURAL style. I wanted to punch that ump the other day getting into his ear about it but said nothing to Stevie J when he was trying to dictate terms on the goal line. I really wanted to punch him hard as well as wipe the smirk off Johnsons face.

I'm sure i saw a kick, i think from Swan, the other day where he was trying to make the distance and he deviated from a straight line. Players do it and i'm sick of the rules being so pedantic that they are willing to penalise players for it.

You can tell when someone runs off the mark to play on or when they are just trying to get the maximum boot!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely agree. Buddy only got the attention for it, well... because he's Buddy, but also because he's one of the few players who can sink them with ease from well beyond 50 metres. People try and make it sound as if the 'natural arc' belongs to Buddy, but the post from Echols, a few goals kicked tonight and plenty of other times when players deviate from the line prove that this is not so.

Happens every week. Opposition fans and the media are delusional if they think he is the only player who does it. He has done it since he debuted and its only since he has become a powerhouse forward has anyone cared to raise the issue. If he was just a mediocre forward like Kossy or Pre-finals series 2011 Hawkins no one would give a s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back