Preview AFL Round 22 - Geelong v Western Bulldogs, Simonds Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 26 August

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think SJ could do with a rest. Don't forget he was subbed out injured v Essendon, knocked out the following week v Adelaide and played the next week v Hawthorn - when the injury AND the concussion would often keep a player from playing the next week.

I think Mackie is our only player to have played every game so I'd imagine he would miss this week. Maybe Taylor too. We can certainly rest three or four players and still be confident of a good win, I think. Definitely nobody who's missed a game in the past few weeks though ie Podsiadly, Corey, Chapman, West...

IN: Smedts (if fit), Christensen (if fit), Stephenson (if fit), Wojcinski
OUT: Johnson, Mackie, Taylor, Walker (omit)

We haven't played two rucks at all very much this year though. We need the last two weeks to bed down that combo in case we play WC in the first final (in which case we have to take two proper rucks in). So Walker goes out for mine. Would also be best for him to have a run in the 2's before the finals start there as he hasn't played there in a while.

Walker will be so much improved by next season it isn't funny. He's found out in the best way possible what is needed to be a senior footballer. Right now he's not there, not by a long shot. But I'm very confident he's going to be fitter and stronger in every way next season. But yes, at the moment Stephenson if he's fit has to come in for him. We'll need two fit ruckman so someone else has to help West out.

I disagree. I think that we need to - arrogant as it is - bank on beating the Dogs with enough in the tank to rest a few key players, and there are a few who are seemingly screaming out for a break - Bartel (without a doubt), Selwood and potentially Chapman. It wouldn't surprise me if Scarlett was carrying something, too.

Scarlett has managed to get himself suspended twice, played two very average games in the last two weeks and been thereabouts all season. He's also played a whopping 3 games in a row. If people seriously think he needs a rest it really is time to hang up the boots.

He's had his self-imposed rests already this season. He could actually help the team by playing well in the last few rounds.

Walker will be so much improved by next season it isn't funny. He's found out in the best way possible what is needed to be a senior footballer. Right now he's not there, not by a long shot. But I'm very confident he's going to be fitter and stronger in every way next season. But yes, at the moment Stephenson if he's fit has to come in for him. We'll need two fit ruckman so someone else has to help West out.
I'm not sure about next season, but perhaps two to three years after that. I think that at this point the best thing that could happen for Walker - given an uninterrupted pre-season - would be to spend half a year in the VFL putting AFL standards into practice and hopefully making some real progress. He's not AFL standard yet and has been promoted before his time, but that's no knock on him and even if he doesn't play seniors next year, it doesn't mean he's gone backwards.

I'm not sure about next season, but perhaps two to three years after that. I think that at this point the best thing that could happen for Walker - given an uninterrupted pre-season - would be to spend half a year in the VFL putting AFL standards into practice and hopefully making some real progress. He's not AFL standard yet and has been promoted before his time, but that's no knock on him and even if he doesn't play seniors next year, it doesn't mean he's gone backwards.

Don't worry he'll be playing seniors next year all right, but where that's the question in my mind.

Round 22 - Geelong vs Western Bulldogs – Simonds Stadium, 1.10pm Sunday 26th August, 2012

In what on paper looks like a gross mismatch, the Bulldogs venture south down the Princes Highway to take on Geelong at Simonds Stadium this Sunday. While the Bulldogs’ season has petered out somewhat with a long injury list being a major reason behind their current nine game losing streak, Geelong on the other hand have had a resurrection of sorts, winning 4 of their last 5 games and losing the other game by less than a goal to the Eagles in Perth after some experts were questioning whether the side would make the top 8 at season’s end. A win here will see Geelong virtually guarantee a spot in finals action for the 6th consecutive season.

The last time these two sides met, the Bulldogs were gallant in defeat, sticking with the more fancied Geelong side for most of the night, getting within 3 points of the Cats in the last term after a burst of 3 goals in 3 minutes, before conceding the final three goals of the night and losing by 20 points. Boyd and Murphy combined for 63 possessions and Jordan Roughead kicked 3 goals for the Dogs, while for Geelong, Johnson and Chapman combined for 63 touches themselves while Hawkins and Motlop chipped in with 3 majors a piece. Will Minson and Orren Stephenson had a terrific battle in the ruck, with Minson shading the Big O with 20 possessions and 32 hitouts, to Stephenson’s 20 possessions and 30 hitouts.

Comparisons

comparison.jpg

As you can see from the above table, Geelong and the Bulldogs have been pretty even this season when it comes to total disposals, marks, contested possessions, clearances and contested marks. Where the Bulldogs fall down however is in converting disposal into entries inside 50, and on the scoreboard. While the boys from the Whitten Oval average just on 10 possessions a game more than Geelong, they average 7 less inside 50’s and 5 goals less a game. A lot of this could be explained by a lack of a key target inside 50 for the Dogs. While Geelong average just on 6 more marks inside 50, a lot of those would be taken by the Tomahawk. When you look at the top goalkickers for the league this season, Geelong have six players inside the top 100 (Hawkins with 54 majors, Chapman and Podsiadly with 31, Motlop with 25, Johnson with 18 and Duncan with 17). On the flip side, the 182cm tall Daniel Giansiracusa is the Dishlickers’ leading goalkicker with 27, with Tory Dickson (22) and Higgins (19) the only other Bulldogs in the top 100. Unfortunately for Dogs fans, both Dickson and Higgins both stand around the 180cm mark as well. Their leading goalkicker over 190cm tall is Liam Jones, with a meagre 9 goals from 12 games.

Players to watch

Geelong

Tom Hawkins – This one is a no-brainer. Arguably the most in-form key forward in a game, the Colossus from Corio Bay has continued from where he left off in the 2011 grand final by marking everything in sight and finally kicking straight. In his last 5 full games, he’s taken 42 marks and kicked an accurate 21.11. It would seem that he’ll have Brian Lake keeping him company this Sunday, although Brendan McCartney seems keen to give young Jordan Roughead a go in the backline, so don’t be surprised if the 21yo gets first crack at Hawkins, with Lake waiting in the wings if Hawkins catches fire early.

Steve Johnson – One of the best forwards in the game has taken his game to another level since Chris Scott has moved him into the middle of the ground. In the previous encounter between the two sides, Johnson chalked up 25 kicks, 14 marks and 11 handballs in a performance that should surely earn the 3 votes come Brownlow Medal night. When he focusses on doing the basics and not trying to do the impossible, he can be a match-winner. Rob Murphy went to him last time the two sides played, and it wouldn’t surprise me if the same match-up eventuates this week if Murphy is fit.

Harry Taylor – I chose Harry as a player to watch as it will be interesting to see which end of the ground he lines up at this week. With the Doggies lacking enough key targets up forward, Chris Scott might decide to push Harry forward again, where he’s been quite successful this season, having kicked 12 goals for the season, including a 6 goal haul against the Giants.

Western Bulldogs

Ryan Griffen – In what was a dark afternoon for the Dogs last week against Sydney, Griffen was a rare ray of light, chalking up a club and career high 47 disposals, with over 20 of them contested. His ability to win both contested ball on the inside of a contest, or break the lines with his pace on the outside of a contest makes him very hard to match-up on. It is possible that someone like Taylor Hunt might get the job on him this week, but I’d like to see someone like Jordan Murdoch get the job. Both players are around the same size (Griffen’s 188cm and 86kg while Murdoch is 189cm and 82kg) and both are pretty quick runners too. Could be a good learning experience for the youngster if he’s given the role.

Brian Lake – The last time the Dogs travelled to what was then known as Skilled Stadium, it’s fair to say that Lake had a ‘mare of a game, until he was moved forward late and kicked a couple of junktime goals. However, his season last year was somewhat marred with injury, which might go some way to explain his efforts in that game. At his best, he’s up there with Scarlett as one of the best defenders in the league who cannot only nullify his opponent, but set up attacking thrusts for his side. If he’s given the job on Hawkins, it could be worth the price of admission alone, as both players are superb contested marks.

Daniel Giansiracusa - The veteran Bulldog has had several good games against Geelong over the years. He’s kicked 11 goals against Geelong in his last three outings, including a haul of 5 in the last game he played at Skilled/Simonds. Very intelligent and a good reader of the play, he’ll take some watching. I can see Josh Hunt having first crack at him, with Corey Enright waiting in the wings should he get off the handle early.

Verdict

Every indicator points to a Geelong victory in this game, but if we’ve learnt anything in the past week or so, no game is a dead certainty, especially when a firm favourite takes their opposition easy and takes the foot off the gas, like Adelaide and Collingwood did on Saturday night. In previous weeks, the Bulldogs have been competitive for a half before falling away in the second half. In the last month, the Dogs were trialing the Saints by 24 points at half time (lost by 76), North by 4 (lost by 54), Richmond by 30 (lost by 70) and Sydney by 14 (lost by 82). Geelong need to be on from the get-go this week, as we know the Bulldogs will, and if they’re leading at half-time, it might be the boost they need to go on with the job and break their 9 game losing streak. I can see Geelong jumping out of the blocks like we have in the last month or so, weathering the storm in the 2nd term, and running away with the game in the second half to win by about 12 goals and clinch a finals berth for the 6th consecutive season.

Somehow Minson just got off. So he will be playing.
A dogs act. Knew exactly what he was doing. If you accidentally stepped on someone's leg, surely you'd stumble a little, roll an ankle slightly. Don't rate him as a player so not overly concerned he's fronting up this week, and surely he won't have a brain fade two weeks running and hurt one of our boys. Muppet of the highest order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love your work Winty.

As for the changes, I can't see anyone getting a look in unless they are being considered for the finals. That means Bundy, Stephenson, Smedts and Guthrie with Wojo as an outside chance. Vards & Trav will get a look in possibly against the Swans but if the VFL side is playing finals then they can still get match fitness if required throughout the finals.

With Smedts still a week away (from reports), I'd say Bundy & Stephenson in for Simpkin & Walker.

If players really need a rest this week, send them down to the backline!!!

How long has it been since two afl teams playing each other had their reserves playing each other in a curtain raiser at the same ground like will happen on Sunday?
It happens from time to time.

Last year we played Casey and Melbourne on the same day. Beat Casey by 21 goals and Melbourne by 31 goals.

It happens from time to time.

Last year we played Casey and Melbourne on the same day. Beat Casey by 21 goals and Melbourne by 31 goals.

Great day all round that was!

How long has it been since two afl teams playing each other had their reserves playing each other in a curtain raiser at the same ground like will happen on Sunday?
The curtain raiser [Geelong v Willi] got moved a few weeks ago to this saturday at 1pm at Simonds Stadium

Don't worry he'll be playing seniors next year all right, but where that's the question in my mind.
I can't see him playing anywhere but the GFC, to be honest. Given our record of developing young players, and the steps that he has made this year, I can't see him leaving for other pastures.
Whilst this has been a great learning curve for him, I don't think that you can deny that he's currently well and truly out of his depth against mature-bodied players. I can't see him and Vardy playing in the same team next year and Vardy will most likely be selected ahead of him.

H.S 19 June 2012
For an educated and worldly man, Minson can be plenty stupid, as his former coach Rodney Eade would attest.​
"He's the dumbest smart bloke in the comp," Eade once said
I always thought that was a really, really poor thing for Eade to say. You may want to give your players a dressing-down internally, but don't abuse them in public. That's one of the things that I've always liked about Chris Scott - even when players like Hawkins (last year) or Guthrie have come under some pressure, he's always stood up for them publicly.

From Scott's press conference this morning:

- Stephenson another week away from playing at any level
- Christensen trained away from main group today but Scott is confident he will play this week
- Club is tempted to play Varcoe this weekend
- Vardy unlikely to play any AFL this season (no surprise there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back