Preview AFL Round 22 - Geelong v Western Bulldogs, Simonds Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 26 August

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus, could you imagine if this one happened ! ( 21.8 )
You could have players selected for the VFL GF on the Thursday night and then have to pull them out on Saturday !

21.2 Players who have played with the AFL Senior team of any AFL Club after the 1st day of July in the relevant season shall be ineligible to play in the VFL Senior or VFL Reserve Grade Finals unless they have played a total of at least seven (7) Senior or Reserve VFL matches in the same season.

21.8 Notwithstanding the provisions of Rule 21, when an AFL Club is eliminated from the AFL Final Series on the same weekend as the VFL Grand Final, AFL listed players must qualify for selection under Regulation 21.2.

Don't think so.

As far as I'm aware the rule is that guys who have played seniors also have to have played 7 vfl games to qualify for finals (this is to stop clubs flooding the vfl finals with afl players if the afl side misses finals). Unfortunately I think Wojo doesn't make the cut there. Murdoch missed 8 weeks with a finger injury so he may be borderline, or he may have already played 7 or 8.

VFL website has Jordan down for 7 games already, but that includes being named in the team for the game at Bendigo and breaking his finger in the warm-up.

I think Stephenson playing that role and West drifting forward when it's his turn is a good combination. Lake is going to have his hands full with Hawkins so West could really give them problems (as well as Pods obviously).
this
West is damaging sneaking forward for 2-3 goals ;)

21.5 Notwithstanding the provisions of Rule 21 when a Club has both of its Senior Grade (AFL or VFL) teams engaged on the same day, (or consecutive days) the selection of players in the VFL Senior Grade team shall be unrestricted, provided a player has participated in at least one (AFL or VFL) Senior Grade or Reserve Grade match in that relevant season.

(fist pump)

I actually don't agree with this. Given that his major issue will be fitness, and he only played 70% of the VFL game last weekend, playing him for a quarter and a bit may not be the best idea.

Agreed, give Varcoe a full game and see how he goes as if he is in for finals contention he will have to play a full game the following week against the Swans as you'd imagine we will play our best 22 in prep for the elimination final.
If TV pulls up ok, I think he needs to play this week and give Motlop a rest before the finals.

If Orren is fit we need to play the two pronged ruck attack of him & west too - both on current form will be pretty lethal and I wouldnt be as worried seeing them up against Cox/Natinui combo should we meet them again as I think with both in the same side they stand a much better chance.

Scarlett,Bartel and Stevie J general soreness.!!
Agreed Scarlett, I wonder if Selwood may be given a rest before the other 2 though.

I dont think we can risk resting our whole seniors side though, im not discounting the dogs to have a good dip.

Agreed, give Varcoe a full game and see how he goes as if he is in for finals contention he will have to play a full game the following week against the Swans as you'd imagine we will play our best 22 in prep for the elimination final.
If TV pulls up ok, I think he needs to play this week and give Motlop a rest before the finals.

If Orren is fit we need to play the two pronged ruck attack of him & west too - both on current form will be pretty lethal and I wouldnt be as worried seeing them up against Cox/Natinui combo should we meet them again as I think with both in the same side they stand a much better chance.

Agreed Scarlett, I wonder if Selwood may be given a rest before the other 2 though.

I dont think we can risk resting our whole seniors side though, im not discounting the dogs to have a good dip.
Scarlett and Bartel have looked sore for a few weeks, SJ has had a very heavy workload and seems to be carring a groin. This is the week to rest players as the following week we will play our best avaiable agaianst Sydney leading up to finals

Scarlett and Bartel have looked sore for a few weeks, SJ has had a very heavy workload and seems to be carring a groin. This is the week to rest players as the following week we will play our best avaiable agaianst Sydney leading up to finals

True we need to rest players, I just worry that we may rest too many and are treating the dogs like they are GWS or GC when they still have a lot of talent in their side.

I know West can take a mark or two down forward - but we do not need him there. We have Pods and Hawkins in the forward line and both those guys are really good contested marks and are not often out marked.

I would really like to see West taking marks around the ground - especially on kick outs. Harry on one boundary line flank and West on the other.

What we need is good crumbers in the forward line (not West) and Motlop on song would be great but he is not there yet.

We will only take two rucks against WC - the rest will see a solitary West playing. Risk yes but we need the extra mid in those games.

I believe that our fortunes are tied to only a few players re this finals campaign.

We need Corey, Bartel and Scarlett to play to their usual high standard. We need Bundy and West to play well. Then it is down to selecting the last two players (of the best 22) that will be best for the opposition we are playing - Smedts, Wojo, Guthrie, Murdoch, Varcoe and Orren.

I am more confident now that Scott will also come up with a few tactical moves on the day that will also contribute to a win.

If we get no further injuries (please, please don't), rest a couple against the Doggies and then beat the Swannies at home - we will be in good shape.

As we have played a number of youngsters this year we have depth (except in ruckmen) - so we look pretty good to me.

If a key player needs a rest - Scarlett, Bartel and SJ - REST THEM next week.

We will beat the Doggies even without these 3 players. It gives another go to younsters who may yet be called up in the finals if we get an injury.

Bundy and Smedts will be back and both are good ins. So SJ and Bartel covered reasonably well.

Perhaps Varcoe will be the sub ? But more likely the week after.

Who takes Scarlett's role ? Gillies ? Guthrie ? Not sure.

If it freshens up Bartel, SJ and Scarlett - I am all for it.

VFL website has Jordan down for 7 games already, but that includes being named in the team for the game at Bendigo and breaking his finger in the warm-up.

Yeah, and the question would be does he count as having played that game or not. Technical one that.

I'm sure they'll be all over it and if he needs to play in the vfl this week to be eligible he will.

Jesus, could you imagine if this one happened ! ( 21.8 )
You could have players selected for the VFL GF on the Thursday night and then have to pull them out on Saturday !

21.2 Players who have played with the AFL Senior team of any AFL Club after the 1st day of July in the relevant season shall be ineligible to play in the VFL Senior or VFL Reserve Grade Finals unless they have played a total of at least seven (7) Senior or Reserve VFL matches in the same season.

21.8 Notwithstanding the provisions of Rule 21, when an AFL Club is eliminated from the AFL Final Series on the same weekend as the VFL Grand Final, AFL listed players must qualify for selection under Regulation 21.2.

That's pretty normal though, most weeks Knights doesn't finalise the squad until fri/sat. It's why we always name a 27 man squad on a thursday. So it would be the same, just with more importance because it's a GF.

Rule 21.5 could be very very useful for us though, well done by you for spotting it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe that our fortunes are tied to only a few players re this finals campaign.

We need Corey, Bartel and Scarlett to play to their usual high standard. We need Bundy and West to play well. Then it is down to selecting the last two players (of the best 22) that will be best for the opposition we are playing - Smedts, Wojo, Guthrie, Murdoch, Varcoe and Orren.

I am more confident now that Scott will also come up with a few tactical moves on the day that will also contribute to a win.

Agree with that. With one player missing.

Hawkins. He's now our most important player by far.

I think West will be a weapon up there and, as a flow on effect, force the opposition's main ruckman to continually cover the ground to his defensive 50, because West will monster a part-timer at ball ups and throw ins. Interesting thoughts re: VFL finals...does the maximum AFL-listed players quota apply for stand-alone clubs, or is it just for those who are aligned? Because our best VFL team of qualified players will probably only have three who aren't AFL-listed.

This week is a balancing act. Anyone who needs a rest should get a rest, we've got plenty of players who'd be worthy selections, but we should also be trying to win this game by 100 points. A smashing first quarter will set it all up and then just concentrate on not losing a quarter and we'll hopefully go close. The only definite out I would have is Walker if Stephenson or Simpson is right. Then there's a multitude of players who could be rested (Scarlett, Enright, Taylor, Mackie and Stokes would be the main candidates) and obviously several players who could take their place (Wojcinski, Varcoe, Gillies, Brown, Christensen, Horlin-Smith, Smedts etc). If we want Varcoe to be a key part of our finals campaign, we should give him a run (maybe as the sub) in this game.
I would have Selwood on the top of the list of those to get a rest. He is going to need to play out of his skin for the remainder of the year...

This might seem a dumb question, but is he important because he kicks bags each week or more so because of the planning (and changing structures) other clubs will now have to put into him (or somewhere in-between). I ask that because generally clubs don't have to plan so much for power forwards now. He's in his own category this season.

Rest everyone!! I'm assuming you guys are aware you are a decent chance to miss the 8 altogether if you lost this week! Bulldogs arnt Gws

i think selwood, SJ and mackie? deserves a rest. West? Let stephenson in, with varcoe? And maybe we shouldn't underestimate the dogs. I hate it when geelong leads a team by a whole lot, then drop off and do it all in 4th quarter. If we play all 4 quarters, intense footy, gonna smashed them and really need to.

Yeah I just assumed he would have a really good and consistent final series - so I did not add his name. Just like I did not add Enright or Selwood.

I really think Hawkins has turned the corner big time. Sure he will still have a bad game here and there - as all players (especially KP forwards) do.

Its just that Scarlett, Bartel and Corey have been a bit quiet and not playing to their usual standard. And I still rate them as key players in big games.

To be honest - all we really need is SJ (playing as a mid all game) and Hawkins to get the 2 & 3 votes in a game and we win (assuming everybody else makes their usual contribution).

These two are the keys - as if SJ has 35 possies and kicks a goal or two and Hawkins kicks 6 goals - cannot see too many teams getting close to us. Big call I know - but both are match winners IMO.

Rest everyone!! I'm assuming you guys are aware you are a decent chance to miss the 8 altogether if you lost this week! Bulldogs arnt Gws

Bulldogs are terrible at the minute, if we lose we may as well be on holidays in sept

Bulldogs are terrible at the minute, if we lose we may as well be on holidays in sept
Have not won a second half all year. Could be a big percentage if we get on top early, or we could just ease up second half and everyone gets a bit of a rest. Think macca is a bit like he boy with the barrow down at the kennel..

Just like to see Billy Smedts continue from last game up forward, he was electric!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will Macca have any tricks up his sleave against us? He knows most of our players better than just about anyone. I'm not going to suggest that he will change the end result in any way as I don't think that any amount of knowledge that you could impart on the Dogs will make a meaningful difference as they are a basket case, but could he potentially mitigate the damage by restricting certain players in some way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back