Preview AFL Round 22 - Geelong v Western Bulldogs, Simonds Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 26 August

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Macca have any tricks up his sleave against us? He knows most of our players better than just about anyone. I'm not going to suggest that he will change the end result in any way as I don't think that any amount of knowledge that you could impart on the Dogs will make a meaningful difference a a they are a basket case, but could he potentially mitigate the damage by restricting certain players in some way?

Still need the cattle on the park to make any inside info useful.

Rest everyone!! I'm assuming you guys are aware you are a decent chance to miss the 8 altogether if you lost this week! Bulldogs arnt Gws

I guess you haven't seen them in recent weeks then. They are an absolute shambles. Geelong is $1.02 to win. You really think there is any chance that Geelong loses its last two games in Geelong to miss the finals? That's what you're banking on...?

Out: Taylor, Enright, Mackie, Stokes, Walker, Simpkin
In: Guthrie, Wojcinski, Smedts, Christensen, Stephenson, Horlin-Smith

B: J. Hunt, Lonergan, Guthrie
HB: Wojcinski, Scarlett, Bartel
C: Christensen, Selwood, Murdoch
HF: Johnson, Podsiadly, Duncan
F: Chapman, Hawkins, Smedts
R: West, Kelly, T.Hunt
I/C: Stephenson, Corey, Horlin-Smith, Motlop

If you seriously think there is any way that side loses to the Bulldogs (minus Minson) at Kardinia Park, you're absolutely kidding yourself.

No way, the first 2, they've had their time out via stupidity.
Dog/ Selwood more likely

Couldn't agree more, re: Bartel and Scarlett. There's definitely a case for Selwood, as he hasn't missed a game in over three months, apart from the bye, but I'd really like to see him get back to his best against a really good tagger in Picken. I don't think Johnson needs a rest, as in the past two months he's had the bye, missed the Gold Coast game and then missed all but ten seconds of the Adelaide game. Obviously a concussion isn't the same as missing a game, but he still didn't get the usual wear and tear from a game of football that he would if he'd played the four quarters. He should be right. Who knows though? It's a fair assumption that a few senior players will be rested.

Smedts is still listed as a week away on the club website.

Can take that with a grain of salt. Varcoe was listed as indefinite in the Herald-Sun last week, and he played in the VFL on Saturday.

I guess you haven't seen them in recent weeks then. They are an absolute shambles. Geelong is $1.02 to win. You really think there is any chance that Geelong loses its last two games in Geelong to miss the finals? That's what you're banking on...?

Out: Taylor, Enright, Mackie, Stokes, Walker, Simpkin
In: Guthrie, Wojcinski, Smedts, Christensen, Stephenson, Horlin-Smith

B: J. Hunt, Lonergan, Guthrie
HB: Wojcinski, Scarlett, Bartel
C: Christensen, Selwood, Murdoch
HF: Johnson, Podsiadly, Duncan
F: Chapman, Hawkins, Smedts
I/C: Stephenson, Corey, Horlin-Smith, Motlop

If you seriously think there is any way that side loses to the Bulldogs (minus Minson) at Kardinia Park, you're absolutely kidding yourself.

Sorry beg to disagree. We're nearing the pointy end now and we need to win both games to give us a hope of missing a trip interstate. No one gets rested now.

(I would love to find a spot for either Horlin-Smith or Guthrie but just can't see where)

In: Christensen, Stephenson
Out: Simpkin, Walker

B: J. Hunt, Lonergan, Scarlett
HB: Enright, Taylor, Mackie
C: Christensen, Selwood, Duncan
HF: Johnson, Podsiadly, Bartel
F: Chapman, Hawkins, Motlop
I/C: Stephenson, Corey, Murdoch, Stokes

Can take that with a grain of salt. Varcoe was listed as indefinite in the Herald-Sun last week, and he played in the VFL on Saturday.
and Ottens was only ever a week away!

Sorry beg to disagree. We're nearing the pointy end now and we need to win both games to give us a hope of missing a trip interstate. No one gets rested now.

(I would love to find a spot for either Horlin-Smith or Guthrie but just can't see where)

In: Christensen, Stephenson
Out: Simpkin, Walker

Fair enough...guess we'll find out soon enough. That example was probably more on the extreme side of things and was being used basically to make a point that we could rest eight players without a problem and still belt the Bulldogs, with their VFL-calibre forward line. The difference between 60/80/100 points could be critical by the end of the season though, so it's a fair point you make. Even before we lost the Eagles game, this round was always shaping up as being a balancing act, between getting rest into our more weary players for them to be hitting their peak in September, and winning the game by enough to potentially give us the edge over our closest rivals on the ladder, West Coast and North Melbourne.

I'm curious to see what Walker can do against a poor side (no offense Dogs). Since debuting against Collingwood, the only team he's played that hasn't been in the top 8 was St Kilda who is by no means a bad side. He hasn't had the opportunity to play a bottom 6 team and show us what he can do.

But, at the same time, I can't see him being part of our finals campaign this year so it may make more sense to omit him this week and try to work out our finals structure.

I'm curious to see what Walker can do against a poor side (no offense Dogs). Since debuting against Collingwood, the only team he's played that hasn't been in the top 8 was St Kilda who is by no means a bad side. He hasn't had the opportunity to play a bottom 6 team and show us what he can do.

But, at the same time, I can't see him being part of our finals campaign this year so it may make more sense to omit him this week and try to work out our finals structure.
He might get a couple of marks on the wing and 10 possessions. He is a long long way from being an AFL player. His game on Friday night was embarrasing. He might make it one day. But its a good two years away atleast.

Last weekend shows what can happen if you take your foot off the pedal. I think that's what Adleaide did and paid the price. On any given day any team can beat another. We must win this game, you can hardly gamble on beating Sydney. We should be putting our best 22 uninjured players on the park IMO.

Fair enough...guess we'll find out soon enough. That example was probably more on the extreme side of things and was being used basically to make a point that we could rest eight players without a problem and still belt the Bulldogs, with their VFL-calibre forward line. The difference between 60/80/100 points could be critical by the end of the season though, so it's a fair point you make. Even before we lost the Eagles game, this round was always shaping up as being a balancing act, between getting rest into our more weary players for them to be hitting their peak in September, and winning the game by enough to potentially give us the edge over our closest rivals on the ladder, West Coast and North Melbourne.

The problem is though, the attitude of "peaking when it counts" is why they're currently 7th instead of being 3rd. Too many people think you can pick and choose which games to win and lose. It's just like 2010 all over again. We lost games we should never have lost to Fremantle and North early and it was breezily dismissed. Not surprisingly, that 2 game gap we're now stuck with is the difference between the double chance and having to play 4 consecutive weeks in the finals. If we get that far.

I want to obliterate the Dogs on Sunday. Win by 100 points if possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is though, the attitude of "peaking when it counts" is why they're currently 7th instead of being 3rd. Too many people think you can pick and choose which games to win and lose. It's just like 2010 all over again. We lost games we should never have lost to Fremantle and North early and it was breezily dismissed. Not surprisingly, that 2 game gap we're now stuck with is the difference between the double chance and having to play 4 consecutive weeks in the finals. If we get that far.

I want to obliterate the Dogs on Sunday. Win by 100 points if possible.

I do too. I guess I figure/hope that the two might not be mutually exclusive.

I disagree. I think that we need to - arrogant as it is - bank on beating the Dogs with enough in the tank to rest a few key players, and there are a few who are seemingly screaming out for a break - Bartel (without a doubt), Selwood and potentially Chapman. It wouldn't surprise me if Scarlett was carrying something, too.

I'm in the 'no resting' camp this week. I hope we smash the Dogs, but I could see us resting a few and having one of those tough to watch wins like the mid-season Port and GC games.

We haven't played two rucks at all very much this year though. We need the last two weeks to bed down that combo in case we play WC in the first final (in which case we have to take two proper rucks in). So Walker goes out for mine. Would also be best for him to have a run in the 2's before the finals start there as he hasn't played there in a while.

I disagree. I think that we need to - arrogant as it is - bank on beating the Dogs with enough in the tank to rest a few key players, and there are a few who are seemingly screaming out for a break - Bartel (without a doubt), Selwood and potentially Chapman. It wouldn't surprise me if Scarlett was carrying something, too.

We need to hit the finals in good form and in sync. Therefore don't think resting a heap of players this week is a good idea even if we would still win. Sure, if anyone is genuinely not fit don't play them, but otherwise best 22 (minus Varcoe who will be in next week) for mine.

We need to hit the finals in good form and in sync. Therefore don't think resting a heap of players this week is a good idea even if we would still win. Sure, if anyone is genuinely not fit don't play them, but otherwise best 22 (minus Varcoe who will be in next week) for mine.
I honestly think that the 'no flirting with form' axiom is overrated and only trotted out when sides lose. No one remembers that we almost lost the Prelim in 2007 to Collingwood. Form is such an intangible but fatigue is not. We might be playing interstate in the first or the second week (provided of course that we win our first); I'd be willing to wear a scrappy win over the Dogs if it meant a fresher Selwood/Bartel. I'm not suggesting that we rest half a dozen but that three or four would be a good idea.

Amos said on SEN that Bundy would be ok for Swans, and a maybe this week, groin/young player/essential, so I'm guessing he won't come in this week.
Varcoe a big chance v Swans too.
Said the club is really happy with the development of both Murdoch and Walker.

Amos said on SEN that Bundy would be ok for Swans, and a maybe this week, groin/young player/essential, so I'm guessing he won't come in this week.
Varcoe a big chance v Swans too.
Said the club is really happy with the development of both Murdoch and Walker.

Bundy needs to come in this week if he can because he's had such an interrupted year and he needs the last 2 matches to find touch-he could be huge for us in finals like last year if he can.

That said I wouldn't want any risks taken with him so if it has to be another week ok.

Always thought Swans game for Varcoe and clearly that is the plan, let's hope all goes well.

If Stephenson is fit then i'd like him in for Walker. West and Stephenson haven't rucked much in tandem, and so now is a good time for that to happen. They will both be needed to play should we play WCE in the EF.

I don't mind Bundy getting another week off if there is a niggle there. I'd like one more look at Simpkin anyway, as he will not get a game against SYD or in the finals.

I'm not for the resting idea, as that has already happened in a way. Injury and suspension has provided Scarlett, Chapman, Bartel, and Corey with 'rests'. Stokes is just coming into form, so I wouldn't be resting him now. Bartel also needs a game like this against a poorer team to perhaps find a bit more touch.

Maybe there is a valid argument that Enright or Taylor could do with a week off (though obviously not both at once).

We need a big win this week. 10 goals at the minimum. Percentage could be the difference between playing in Perth or playing on the G in the EF.

It is a hard one - as we would like to accomplish two things this week.

One we win the game and win it well re percentage boost.

Two we need to rest tired or players carrying injuries.

We also need to recognise even if we win by a big margin it may not make any difference where we end up on the ladder. It is an unkown - especially with North playing the Suns in two weeks time.

The again a big win may help us finsih 6th not 7th.

But if the cost of a big win is that we take into the finals tired and players carrying niggles that will affect their performance - then is it worth not resting them this week ?

Then you have to ask will a week off make any difference to an individual player ?

We do not want to affect our momentum either BUT we will need to win 4 finals matches in a row to win a flag. That is a grueling requirement and will take a toll on som bodies.

So with all these unponderables - I think Geelong will go the middle path.

They will rest maybe 2-3 players and play 2-3 players that are close to being in the best 22. So maybe Orren gets a run and Horlin-Smith - especially if Bundy does not play.

Whatever happens - and I know it will be hard but I think (if the umpiring is reasonable) that we can beat WC at their home. North could be just as difficult to beat in Melbourne.

I have no idea what is best right now - so obviously I will just sit back and watch what GFC do - and trust they get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back