Michaelia Cash - is she wasted in Senate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Eh, it's all just theatre. Use an unknown backbencher to deliver a tirade that will make brilliant vision/soundbite for the evening news. Doesn't matter how crazy she sounds or looks - I mean, who votes for Senators anyway? But the topic of Wong's disloyalty is seeded into the news cycle.

Eh, it's all just theatre. Use an unknown backbencher to deliver a tirade that will make brilliant vision/soundbite for the evening news. Doesn't matter how crazy she sounds or looks - I mean, who votes for Senators anyway? But the topic of Wong's disloyalty is seeded into the news cycle.

It's just that a performance like that is far more likely to alienate people (even if only a handful see it) then it is to win them over, so why even bother? Can't see how behaving like that would make anyone other then a rusted on voter more likely to vote Lib or not vote ALP.

Because it's not about the performance. It's about inserting the topic of the performance into the news cycle.

People see a five second snippet of that on the news and think 'wow what a crazy bitch', and don't even remember Cash's name. But it generates a ton of headlines saying 'Wong Accused of Betraying Sisterhood'. Next time Wong (or any female ALP politician) is interviewed, they are asked about it and they have to spend the crucial first couple of minutes of a precious 5-10 minute TV slot responding to and rebutting the allegations.

Overall result = government loses control of the news cycle and spends more time off-message. Far bigger impact than people thinking there's a nutty woman in the Senate.

Because the leadership spill wasn't already going to dominate the news cycle? And people having been asking Wong about her switch? It's already dominated her interviews without Cash's speech.

And sure people might not remember Cash, but they'd at least remember her as 'Liberal Senator'. Might not hurt her personal vote (irrelevant anyway since she's in the Senate) but when the ALP/Rudd are trying to paint themselves as being above the fray and negativity as well as the Liberal leader as being a dangerous nutter, having a Liberal Senator behaving like a nutter and making personal attacks doesn't strike me as the greatest idea since it feeds right into that narrative.

I'm not saying the idea is bad, I'm just saying Cash went well over the top to the point that imo the negatives outweigh any positives gained from it.

Wong came out and did an interview early the next morning. The media reported on it, wrote articles, morning intervies, etc. Then Cash attacked her. The media reported on that, then they followed up with articles about that, then they followed up by questioning female ALP MPs about their response to Cash's accusations.

This is what the 24 hour news cycle is - the continuous cycle of event, response, reaction, response. The goal of any political party is to keep the response/reaction cycle going for as long as possible for any event that is favourable to them.

If Wong hadn't been attacked, or the questions were raised in the Senate in a more sedate way, the story would have mostly petered out during the day. Journalists need fodder, otherwise they move onto the next story. Cash's comments provided juicy footage. It added fuel to the fire that kept the 'Wong betrayal' at the top of the news cycle for at least another 24 hours - emphasising the feminist dimension, dominating headlines today. Since it occurred on a Friday, it may even spill over into next week.

At the end of the day it keeps their opponents on the defensive and talking about stuff they don't want to be talking about. The beauty of the news cycle is that it remains mostly focused on the original subject, not the person fanning the flames. Do you remember the names of the MPs who harangued and abused Craig Thompson, or do you just remember that it happened? Cash may have been the one that went nuts, but it's still Wong who's under the media scrutiny - which is exactly how the Liberals want it.

556042-48739568-dfc3-11e2-a2a7-ba3b27a8768f.jpg

She has broken some balls in her time. Unless those are buttocks in her claws there, in which case she would have given Linda Lovelace a run for her money back in the day.

Check out idiot grin Joyce behind her. Shame Tony Windsor isn't running in New England, it'd be fantastic to get rid of that lunatic.

She's a bit Julie Bishop looking in some of her pics. Needs to work on the death stare though.

The Senate is fairly unedifying. Back in the '90s, John Faulkner called people 'dumbo' so often that the word was eventually added to Standing Orders as a form unparliamentary behaviour. I recall there was some debate over whether the word was inherently pejorative, since the Disney character was quite lovable.

This is what we pay our representatives for.

This is true - but hey it was the last night of sitting and when would she ever get such a chance to offload into Saint Penny Wong who had just stabbed the first female prime minister of Australia and then passed the knife onto Bill Shorten?

And whose sitting there' basking in her reward - in the Leader chair?

Cut her some slack, caes. :)
Penny Wong is a low altitude flier - how she keeps on the front bench in senior portfolios is one of life's mysterys

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And here is the gal herself eviscerating Penny Wong.

And yes, she is wasted in the Senate.:)

If they do another Wizard of Oz film she can play the wicked witch of the west.

What a screeching clown. Not surprised that you are a Cash lovie Jane.

If they do another Wizard of Oz film she can play the wicked witch of the west.

What a screeching clown. Not surprised that you are a Cash lovie Jane.

The WA Liberals are like the Eagles supporters at Subi - they preach to the converted all the time - never have to face a tough crowd so consequently they are over the top and they are never challenged about it. Remember the days of Fred Cheney - the wet Liberal cause died with the retirement of Judy Moylan - from now on we will get ranting looneys who are in the pocket of developers and miners.

I will give it to her though she is forensic in Estimates. To me that it more effective than over the top emoting about buckets of blood

556042-48739568-dfc3-11e2-a2a7-ba3b27a8768f.jpg

She has broken some balls in her time. Unless those are buttocks in her claws there, in which case she would have given Linda Lovelace a run for her money back in the day.

think she is auditioning for Bell Shakespeare, but atleast she is better than candidates for lalor who said their boyfriend had summer holidays in werribee when it smelled like s**t

I am in great hope that this screeching harpy is tossed out on her arse at the next election. The little girl in my avatar is my reason why. Cash will not address the gender difference in pay nor will she adequately fund the women's refuges and family fund. Why not? Is the economy more important?

All I am asking is for an equal opportunity for my daughter and all women of Australia.

And yes, I am rambling tonight, I have a lot to wish for.

PS. Can we change the thread to Michaelia Cash - government arseclown? ;)

I am in great hope that this screeching harpy is tossed out on her arse at the next election. The little girl in my avatar is my reason why. Cash will not address the gender difference in pay nor will she adequately fund the women's refuges and family fund. Why not? Is the economy more important?

All I am asking is for an equal opportunity for my daughter and all women of Australia.

i just thought it was satire

if it was satire, i liked the post. If it was not, I am indifferent

There;s no gender pay gap you brainwashed fool. It is illegal to pay someone less for doing the same work due to gender, and it has been for many years. If you see even one instance of it you should report it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back