If Geelong lose tonight...

Remove this Banner Ad

Also to make them feel better about their underperformance in general since 2008. They were heralded as a new super team, and unlike previous times that has been claimed, have not followed it up at all.

Yeah. Unlike Essendon of 1999 - 2001, West Coast of 2005-6 and St Kilda of 2009 - 10 , we have failed to follow up with multiple flags. If only we could live up to it like those other "super teams" did... :(

I am though interested in the reverse question, what will the implications be for Hawthorn if they happen to lose tonight, because of all times since the GF this is the one time they should win. They have been a powerhouse team for a while, yet only two GF appearances from 2008 and one victory, well its better than most clubs mind you.

It will be disappointing sure, but it could be worse. St Kilda got nothing out of their dominance from 2004-2010, Bulldogs nothing from their 3 prelims and Collingwood had many consecutive prelims for one flag as well. It will go down as a disappointing few years but a recent flag means a loss tonight won't be disastrous.

I agree with you though, this is the one time where we really should win. Geelong have been an awesome team over the last few years and we weren't the only team who couldn't beat them. Other clubs would have big losing streaks too if they played the cats twice every year like we have.

I am though interested in the reverse question, what will the implications be for Hawthorn if they happen to lose tonight.

Well, we'll curse Geelong's existance and thank **** we still have Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon. :D

Yeah. Unlike Essendon of 1999 - 2001, West Coast of 2005-6 and St Kilda of 2009 - 10 , we have failed to follow up with multiple flags. If only we could live up to it like those other "super teams" did... :(

Not many clubs miss finals the year after winning the premiership. It took you three years to make top four again, four years to make a GF again. Few other premiership winning clubs have had a record so poor.

How many other clubs have struggled to beat the Catsa in the past 4 - 5 years?

There can't be too many that have beaten them.

It's not a Kennett curse, it's a Cats will go down as one of the greatest teams of all time and very few have beaten them more than once in the past 6 years, curse. (bar Freo for some strange reason)

Collingwood go allright against us - maybe you should wear Collingwood jumpers tonight - and you might win

three hawks fans need to repost this counter-spell to break the curse:

In the name of Peter Crimmins, I rebuke the Kennett Curse that has been sent Hawthorn’s way, passed down the generational bloodline since the 2008 grand final. I take authority over all of them and command that the curse goes back to where it came from and be replaced with a blessing.
A rebuke won't get it done. They mean revoke. But don't tell them.;)

Not many clubs miss finals the year after winning the premiership. It took you three years to make top four again, four years to make a GF again. Few other premiership winning clubs have had a record so poor.

Few other premiership sides can bounce back to be playing GF's again 5 years later. Apart from Geelong, think about Essendon by 2005, Brisbane by 2006-8, Port by 2009, West Coast by 2010...
But whatever...

Back on topic - I have a feeling whoever loses tonight will be very disappointed!

Gotta laugh at all those who say Geelong have nothing to lose - like they are guaranteed to get to a grand final next and the year after.

They have had a golden age for the club but this is more than likely going to be their last opportunity to get to a grand final for a very long time. They have plenty to lose.

Who cares though? Is Collingwood's 2010 win better than our 2008 one because they followed it up with 2 decent seasons afterwards? Not for mine. Unless you go back to back or string together multiple flags subsequent performance is not particularly relevant. And we know how rare a Geelong 2007-11/Brisbane 2001-3 era is.

Considering Hawthorn lost that QF in 2011 and were over run by the Pies in the final 2 minutes of their Preliminary i reckon that 2011 Final loss counts for a helluva lot.

Hawthorn have no excuse here, it's all stacked in their favour, they have had the week off, Geelong are missing Chapman and Enright (the Hawks are at full strength), they are out of form, Hawkins can't bend over and the law of averages say the Hawks are long over due. So for that reason the Hawks will go on and do a Greg Norman and completely stuff this game right up.
Geelong are also over due for a blinder and i reckon tonight just might be the night?

I think Geelong can get up, as the Beatles once sang "I've got a feeling, a feeling deep inside
Oh yeah, oh yeah, that's right"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1963 GF - Gee def Hawthorn (109-60)
1989 GF - Haw def Gee - 144-138
1991 S/F - Haw def Gee - 95-93
2000 E/F - Haw def Gee - 92-83
2008 GF - Haw def Gee - 115-89
2011 QF - Gee def Haw - 98 67

WAR! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing!

Geelong have 3 flags and are shooting for a 4th. I don't think they give a shit about the Kennet curse and even if Hawthorn beat them tonight, it will mean stuff all to the Hawks if they can't win the flag next week.

Would take Geelong's 3 flags and 4 Grand Finals over Hawthorns 1(maybe 2 this year) flag and this tag of being better in "big games"

If we lose the sun will come up tomorrow and life will go on. Maybe some of you should review Clarko's 2012 post match GF press conference for some perspective on what it means to lose a big game.

Gotta laugh at all those who say Geelong have nothing to lose - like they are guaranteed to get to a grand final next and the year after.

They have had a golden age for the club but this is more than likely going to be their last opportunity to get to a grand final for a very long time. They have plenty to lose.

Well let's throw that statement in the bin, Geelong have had virtually no ruck division all year, Chapman has missed most of the season, half the team has been suspended at one point or another, yet despite all that they did win 18 H&A games and finished 2nd. Their VFL team is in the Grand Final and as long as they address the consistency issue things should remain about the same in 2014. IMO Geelong are still in a transitional phase, people were saying it was their last opportunity after the 2010 Preliminary final...A loss tonight to Hawthorn would be disappointing, but not the end of the world, the Hawks should win, but i have a feeling they won't.
Hawthorn has all the pressure, if they lose this game i reckon all hell breaks loose and Clarko might just pack it all in! With the prospect of losing Buddy and losing this game as well then the Hawks will have more than just a few ruffled feathers come Mad Monday!
Nothing to lose? Yeah it's a silly saying as there is always consequences when you lose and the Hawks might find that out more than most come the final siren.
When you think about the consequences you always think of a negative result. Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Fremantle got the better of the Cats 2 weeks ago so against the odds Geelong have to rebound. Geelong will do what they always do and they play exciting and at times risky footy, IMO it will be the Hawks who run the risk tonight.
There will be some very nervous Hawks players out on the park tonight, things look good for them presently, but beware the joker in the pack.

Also to make them feel better about their underperformance in general since 2008. They were heralded as a new super team, and unlike previous times that has been claimed, have not followed it up at all.

What, as opposed to Fremantle's underperformance for its existence?

Very few Hawthorn supporters actually say it. It is usually just a rebuttal to a Bay 13 style slanging match between Hawthorn and Geelong supporters. Geelong has nothing left to prove to anyone, they have won 3 premierships for crying out loud.

They have had a golden age for the club but this is more than likely going to be their last opportunity to get to a grand final for a very long time.

Woah I'm back in 2010 again...You'd think after so many years predicting our downfall people would stop and just wait till it happens. Then you can stick the boot in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back