If Geelong lose tonight...

Remove this Banner Ad

For Freo currently

0-1 Sydney
2-1 Geelong
1-0 Hawthorn

Get past Sydney and the premiership is ours!

Wasn't there also a semi-final win to Geelong in 63?
Holy Hawk droppings Batman I think you're right!

Revised edition:

1963 S/F - Gee def Haw - 101-82
1963 GF - Gee def Haw - 109-60
1989 GF - Haw def Gee - 144-138
1991 S/F - Haw def Gee - 95-93
2000 E/F - Haw def Gee - 92-83
2008 GF - Haw def Gee - 115-89
2011 Q/F - Gee def Haw - 98-67

So in finals battles Hawthorn lead us 4 to 3 in wins..... oooooo what a domination :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

The curse is a load of shit and so is the whole "Hawthorn beats Geelong when it counts" crap.
Every game counts! Could it not just be that they are both great clubs, that have fantastic matches and hopefully that will continue tonight.
Whoever wins will not have a mental edge on the other, that is a media thing, I think the players are a little more professional than that. Either way next year they will come out to battle once again and I for one, hope the battles are as great in the future as what they have been in recent memory.

If hawthorn lose tonight - Clarkson will have coached his last match at the Hawks
Ldt72.gif

Oh please it's going to be the usual thing

Geelong fans and the general media have been talking up Hawthorn as the likely winner being the top of the ladder team AND having the week off. Compared to Geelong not playing at the peak of their powers and going through the finals series the hard way after losing to Fremantle.

But we all know that should Hawthorn lose everyone will be crowing on and on and on about the Kennett curse - and Geelong fans in particular (including those that say Geelong are too injured and out of form to win) will swing back to the "Geelong were never going to lose the match" camp.

I myself don't want Hawthorn to lose as i couldn't stand the thought of not the Kennett curse being shoved down our throats again (although channel 7 did a good job of that during the first commercial break after the final siren of Geelong v Port Adelaide last week) - BUT i don't want us to become another Port Adelaide, being the top ranked team only to fail.

Geelong are poised to do to us what we have done to Sydney this year and what they did to Collingwood in 2011.

Hawks have had a week off, that alone will probably influence it

The week off hurt us last year, while players get to rest their bodies. It can hurt momentum and player rhythm + cohesiveness.

The week off hurt us last year, while players get to rest their bodies. It can hurt momentum and player rhythm + cohesiveness.

Correct. Even though the week off is obviously good for the players' bodies, I agree with your last sentence. During this period of Geelong being up, I don't think they've ever been anywhere near as good at night compared to the day time and have generally looked scratchy in PF after having the week off.

Does there look like being any rain tonight? Would greatly help Geelong, it would certainly hamper Hawthorn's precision kicking and I reckon Geelong bang in harder.

Hawks favourites, no excuses if they were to lose.

Except for the fact we've been in the position a number of times before so it's far a certainty.

Agree with Cam Mooney on this one - if Hawthorn can't beat Geelong tonight they never will.
Shouldn't underestimate how big a loss Enright is tonight.
Just does everything right in the D50, and there'd be a number of matchups that Chris Scott just knew that if Enright went to, the worst he would do is break even.

Can't wait for tonight - will be a belter.

Enright's loss is huge, if we can beat the top team without him we'll be goin' alright.

Also to make them feel better about their underperformance in general since 2008. They were heralded as a new super team, and unlike previous times that has been claimed, have not followed it up at all.
What absolute crap. We were labelled "Bradbury premiers" for the better part of 3 years, now we're "underachievers". It ain't that easy to win a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What absolute crap. We were labelled "Bradbury premiers" for the better part of 3 years, now we're "underachievers". It ain't that easy to win a flag.
No you weren't. You were labelled the new super team based on the young age of the side that won.

4 straight and 50 years of beating Geelong when it matters.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4

4 straight and 50 years of beating Geelong when it matters.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4
Matters not if, sorry, when you lose next week. Can spend the whole preseason saying "sure we lost to Fremantle/Sydney, but at least we beat Geelong" and im sure that will dull the pain of another GF loss :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back