Brisbane Offseason 2013 - Exodus Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

lol read again. i said i would think your side would be very bad , but i thought the same thing last year and you got some impressive wins. i also said that aside from black you still have all the same instigators of those impressive wins going around next year.

That's a ridiculous way to look at it. If Sloane walked out and his preferred club refused to offer more than pick ~40 in trade, no one would think that was fair.

Compared to every other trade - getting a two pick improvement for a player who nominated a side two years after he was drafted isn't the worst thing.

Getting reamed on Longer, Docherty and Polec - all first rounders - THAT'S a killer.

That's a ridiculous way to look at it. If Sloane walked out and his preferred club refused to offer more than pick ~40 in trade, no one would think that was fair.

Ridiculous? Second round pick two years ago names one side he wants to be traded to. How many times does that situation turn into the club getting a BETTER pick than what they used?

Almost never, so STFU.

We actually made a fair effort to satisfy Brisbane with Polec I thought. We went out and downgraded a first round pick for him - far cry from saying 'he nominated us, the deal is 34, take it or we'll get him for that in the national draft'.

This makes no sense.

GWS and Port made out like bandits.

Brisbane turned 29 and 45 into 22 and 34 (which in this draft maybe means the same players) and gained 48 in the deal. Shocking for them.

Brisbane turned 29 and 45 into 22 and 34 (which in this draft maybe means the same players) and gained 48 in the deal. Shocking for them.

Put simply Brisbane were never going to have eight-ten picks in the draft. There's no point keeping them all. Six is quite enough. Our final pick is now 34 and Pick #48 helped us gain Trent West (albeit it was eventually on-traded for 41). Our aim for the Polec trade was to get as far up into the draft as possible. In the end #22 was better than #23.

I want to end our trade period on this note.

2511496.jpg

This makes no sense.

GWS and Port made out like bandits.

Excellent. I get to copy and paste my exact previous comment since you're still spreading this BS.

We ACTUALLY got pick 22 for him, plus a five pick downgrade on a second round pick and an irrelevant three pick third round swap.

Your bias is pretty blatant, though god knows why. Why are you insisting on basing it off the seven and thirteen pick differences instead of the five and three? Because it looks worse.

Compared to every other trade - getting a two pick improvement for a player who nominated a side two years after he was drafted isn't the worst thing.

Getting reamed on Longer, Docherty and Polec - all first rounders - THAT'S a killer.

Of course it is. When you consider he is already a best 22 player.

Ridiculous? Second round pick two years ago names one side he wants to be traded to. How many times does that situation turn into the club getting a BETTER pick than what they used?

Almost never, so STFU.

STFU?

Wow, charming.

You said something stupid, you were called on it, and now you're getting upset. If you don't like being told that your posts are ridiculous, why make ridiculous posts? Seems like an obvious solution to this one.

Excellent. I get to copy and paste my exact previous comment since you're still spreading this BS.

We ACTUALLY got pick 22 for him, plus a five pick downgrade on a second round pick and an irrelevant three pick third round swap.

Your bias is pretty blatant, though god knows why. Why are you insisting on basing it off the seven and thirteen pick differences instead of the five and three? Because it looks worse.

I don't think I'm biased - I guess both ways of viewing it are valid. Certainly you can't call what I am saying BS, since I am literally just listing the picks you received. The worst you could say is I'm being glass half empty.

If anything, I am a Brisbane supporter, and I certainly feel you deserved better for Polec. And I am sick of those posts (on BF and in the media) about how Port gave away their first round pick - when they got Polec for less than he was worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

STFU?

Wow, charming.

You said something stupid, you were called on it, and now you're getting upset. If you don't like being told that your posts are ridiculous, why make ridiculous posts? Seems like an obvious solution to this one.

So, you're offended by STFU, and not by the fact that I pointed out your post was pure foolishness?

That seems overly sensitive.

Of course it is. When you consider he is already a best 22 player.

He's a talented flanker type and you should get the same from that pick. Absolutely you have every right to expect more, but at least it is in the ballpark.

It was unfair how much Brisbane was ripped off for their pick 5, pick 8 and pick 12 players. They deserved much more. Docherty had shown a lot and Carlton were asses.

He's a talented flanker type and you should get the same from that pick. Absolutely you have every right to expect more, but at least it is in the ballpark.

It was unfair how much Brisbane was ripped off for their pick 5, pick 8 and pick 12 players. They deserved much more. Docherty had shown a lot and Carlton were asses.
It's not really in the ballpark. If a player of his calibre was available in the draft and we had pick 10, I'd use it on him.

Given he is out of contract it would be in the ballpark. With that said, if he was in this years draft I'd be more than happy to take him at around pick 15. Certainly our biggest loss. But I agree the Yeo trade was not as bad as the Docherty and Longer ones.

Oh Lions, really gotta step up your game on retaining young players.

Scary to think that on top of the likes of Rich, Leunberger, Rockliff, Zorko, Hanley, Redden and Mayes, Lions could have a team boasting:

M Clark
Rischitelli
Yeo
Longer
Docherty
Karnezis
Polec

Im going to throw in Henderson and K Lucas (pick 12) as they should never have traded them for Fev.

that would be quite a good young team.

Scary to think that on top of the likes of Rich, Leunberger, Rockliff, Zorko, Hanley, Redden and Mayes, Lions could have a team boasting:

M Clark
Rischitelli
Yeo
Longer
Docherty
Karnezis
Polec

Im going to throw in Henderson and K Lucas (pick 12) as they should never have traded them for Fev.

One of the 'go home 5' is best 22. Rischitelli, Sherman and Brennan have wasted away. We wouldn't have got any of the 'go home 5' except Longer without getting the picks we received for Sherman, Brennan, Clark and Rischitelli. I'll certainly give it to you that Yeo, Clark and Henderson were big losses but neither was to homesickness. Clark had stuffed up his life in Brisbane and $3 million was enough to cure his 'homesickness'. Henderson went as part of the abysmal Fev trade but not because he was homesick. Yeo is a really big loss. But the situation isn't quite as bad as you make out.

Oh yes. And Carlton with 60% of its 2013 senior list from Victoria do it so much better than the Lions. Who has the easier job here? Carlton with 40% of its list from interstate? Or Brisbane with 90% of its list from interstate?

How would you advise the Lions attract players of the likes of Marc Murphy? Despite being offered a five year contract by the Lions as a father son pick, before he was drafted, Murphy refused to go to the Lions because he wanted to stay close to his family.

Don't over-do it. All the players who have left have significant potential, but none (apart from Yeo) have done a great deal to date. Of the players you listed:
  • M Clark (traded for 12 - Docherty)
  • Rischitelli (currently on a one year contract at the Gold Coast Suns. There was media speculation earlier this year that he was about to be axed).
  • Yeo (Picked at 30, traded for 28)
  • Longer (picked at 8, traded for 25, and effectively in the end Trent West)
  • Docherty (picked at 12, traded for 33)
  • Karnezis (picked at 22, traded for Jackson Paine)
  • Polec (picked at 5 traded for 22, 34 and 48)

Probably not. The original offer was Rischitelli and Bradshaw, but Rischitelli didn't want to go. Fevola was the reigning Coleman Medallist at the time having just kicked 89 goals in the season he was traded.

We already have quite a good young team, which is about to be augmented by four-five youngsters and maybe one-two mature players.

How would you advise the Lions attract players of the likes of Marc Murphy? Despite being offered a five year contract by the Lions as a father son pick, before he was drafted, Murphy refused to go to the Lions because he wanted to stay close to his family.[/quote]

with a statement like I am guessing you don't know the real reason why he didn't come? & also forgetting what happened whwn he played against the lions for the first time. I will refresh your memory. ... shortly

You mean this?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...sbane/story-e6frf9jf-1226354244874#mm-premium

Murphy also said that he had no problems with the Brisbane Lions, apart from the fact they weren't in Melbourne.

I can't open your link but basically john murphy his father was on the committee against the move to brisbane and that was the main reason why he wouldnt go up. My frandfather is a life member (rest in peace) but he said that he never got over the move to brisbane and.always was telling marc that he isnt going up there the BS club. Basically with the death of fitzroy = the death of thw murphy connection to the club. Like a lot of supporters at that time. I had 5 friend and a cousin who barracked for the lions... only my cousin and I barrack for the lions now. They all jumped on board the kangaroos. Funny as they almost merged/moved to the gold coast.

I still remember that game against the mcg versus richmond SHATTERING. This year exodus brought back memories of watching roos, osborne, pert, gale, barwick, kappler all walk away from the club fot more $$$

I can't open your link but basically john murphy his father was on the committee against the move to brisbane and that was the main reason why he wouldnt go up.

What committee? Do you mean the Fitzroy board? If so, John Murphy was not on the Fitzroy board in 1996. I was a shareholder of Fitzroy in 1996. Still am in fact.

Marc Murphy would have gone to Brisbane, but didn't want to move away from Melbourne. That's the bottom line.

It is true that Marc Murphy changed his support to North melbourne after Fitzroy was ejected from the AFL. His father did play 9 games for North Melbourne as well as Fitzroy. That still doesn't explain why he chose Carlton. Marc Murphy's grandfather Leo Murphy also played 132 games for Hawthorn.

What committee? Do you mean the Fitzroy board? If so, John Murphy was not on the Fitzroy board in 1996. I was a shareholder of Fitzroy in 1996. Still am in fact.

Marc Murphy would have gone to Brisbane, but didn't want to move away from Melbourne. That's the bottom line.

It is true that Marc Murphy changed his support to North melbourne after Fitzroy was ejected from the AFL. His father did play 9 games for North Melbourne as well as Fitzroy. That still doesn't explain why he chose Carlton. Marc Murphy's grandfather Leo Murphy also played 132 games for Hawthorn.

No, I never said board. it was like a sub-committee to fight against the move. He was one of main people involved.

Of course that was the bottom line because of his dad.

I wouldnt have a clue who john murphy follows. I stated my friends and family, nothing to do with him.

He also didnt have a chose but go to Carlton. They had the number one pick that year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back