List Mgmt. Welcome Liam Duggan Pick 11 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Priddis is far from a B grader. It sounds like you're limiting our recent draftees far too much. Sheed had an interrupted pre-season where he lost valuable size which was one of his strengths when captaining WA, so he was less effective in the front half where he usually plays pretty well when not racking it up in the midfield. Waterman is an elite inside player with a massive kick, fantastic strength and good acceleration that was rated a first round pick before he put the cue in the rack, so to speak. In a few years you'll see what they can be, don't expect them to be Ablett as soon as they hit the ground.

I never mentioned Priddis, apart from saying Sheed will eventually be his replacement. And Matt is certainly NOT and A grader (refer to his thread for details because we don't need a derail)

Waterman is yet to play a game of senior footy, but his selection isn't in question, given the fact we got him for free. I have no problem with Alec, and i imagine he'll spend a couple years developing.

Now Sheed on the other hand is a different story. We payed a top price for him, and i can't imagine he'll play more then 10 games again this year. Especially with a fit midfield. He won't be a regular starter until Priddis has retired.

I never mentioned Priddis, apart from saying Sheed will eventually be his replacement. And Matt is certainly NOT and A grader (refer to his thread for details because we don't need a derail).

So Priddis is a B grader, wow the first 'B Grade' Brownlow Medal winner in history.

And Sheed who is quicker and a better kick is the replacement for Priddis when he retires.

And "top price" for Sheed would have been using pick 6 but we downgraded to pick 11 to land us another 2nd round pick.

Isn't that good list management?

So how good was say Josh Kennedy at the Swans or say Redden at the Lions in his first year? Another couple of bigger inside mids.

Sheed is just a clearance grunt? I've never thought that was the case. I can see him winding up playing more outside than Duggan and others (Alec, Nelson) if needs demand it.

I suspect he'll spend more time in the WAFL. He's going to one of about 4 players fighting (Hutchings, Wellingham and McGinnity) for that last midfield rotation.

So Priddis is a B grader, wow the first 'B Grade' Brownlow Medal winner in history.

And Sheed who is quicker and a better kick is the replacement for Priddis when he retires.

And "top price" for Sheed would have been using pick 6 but we downgraded to pick 11 to land us another 2nd round pick.

So how good was say Josh Kennedy at the Swans or say Redden at the Lions in his first year? Another couple of bigger inside mids.

Oh what and that is news to you is it? Shuey is the only midfielder we have even remotely close to being an A grader. Look, i don't want to argue about Priddis in this thread because i can do that until the cows come home in his other thread.

Some of the reasons i don't like, and have never liked the selection of Sheed:

- His obvious lack of pace and acceleration. Has endurance but has only one gear and operates at a constant speed all game.
- Like the rest of our midfielders apart from Yeo, he is poor overhead.
- His lack of damaging disposal or hurt factor.
- His complete and utter lack of right foot. In fairness that's a pretty commmon thing with a left footer.

Pretty much the definition of everyone's favourite flavour, vanilla. The typical safe bet midfield option by WC, and really... just a rich mans Hutchings.

Everything I've read about Duggan suggests he's be an absolute gun and the only thing that is vanilla is how well rounded he is in all areas.

I don't understand why so much hate over his selection?

Same reason a lot of people wanted Cockatoo or Laverde (and Pickett of course) - dying for a player that oozes X factor and line breaking ability

I suspect Duggan will become a lot of people's favourite player because he just oozes class and will make the right decision 9/10.

Can they get one from East Perth?
Boom boom!
seriously though, I just hope that some of them are playing well enough to get a game for the Eagles. Ideally for one to step up and play 15-20 games and for the others combined to play 20-25 between them this season. I'm including the 4 new guys, Trophy, Adamson, And Karps, so 35-45 games between the 7 of Em.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not in my opinion Obeanie. I'm glad we got Yeo but we would of gotten him anyway with our second pick. I would of preferred we used pick 6 to get the highest rated player available at the time, not downgrade in order to get two players that weren't as of high a value. We need quality in our midfield, not quantity as we have midfielders, not necessarily the quality we need though. I'm sure others disagree.

Not in my opinion Obeanie. I'm glad we got Yeo but we would of gotten him anyway with our second pick. I would of preferred we used pick 6 to get the highest rated player available at the time, not downgrade in order to get two players that weren't as of high a value. We need quality in our midfield, not quantity as we have midfielders, not necessarily the quality we need though. I'm sure others disagree.

I agree. I think having that one quality player over two solid contributors is more important. Having said that though, I think the club regarded sheed as that quality player and were always going to take him, whether it was with pick 6 or 11. With that in mind, we basically got karps for free, and hopefully his and sheed's combined output will be better than say that of james aish over their careers.

I agree. I think having that one quality player over two solid contributors is more important. Having said that though, I think the club regarded sheed as that quality player and were always going to take him, whether it was with pick 6 or 11. With that in mind, we basically got karps for free, and hopefully his and sheed's combined output will be better than say that of james aish over their careers.

Yep, I understand what you're saying, and I do think Karps has some skills we can use, but I am not sure what Sheeds ceiling will be. Only time will tell.

This first part is beyond the point now. No evidence, just wishful thinking.

I'd be one of them. We lack quantity of midfielders, our depth midfielders have been sub par for years. As a result we've lacked any real internal competition for spots on ball and the class of our ball division has suffered, especially when one or two midfielders go down due to injury or suspension.

We've also played top heavy tall sides because "the best available team" hasn't got enough quality midfielders to draw upon. Such tall and top heavy sides have a negative effect on our running power. Loading up on midfielders is something we had to do, not all of them will necessarily work out but it's long overdue.

This first part is beyond the point now. No evidence, just wishful thinking.

I'd be one of them. We lack quantity of midfielders, our depth midfielders have been sub par for years. As a result we've lacked any real internal competition for spots on ball and the class of our ball division has suffered, especially when one or two midfielders go down due to injury or suspension.

We've also played top heavy tall sides because "the best available team" hasn't got enough quality midfielders to draw upon. Such tall and top heavy sides have a negative effect on our running power. Loading up on midfielders is something we had to do, not all of them will necessarily work out but it's long overdue.

So you're going to be happy we "loaded up on midfielders" who sit in the WAFL? That's realistically going to be this entire draft crop.

A midfield which will eventually consist of Sheed, Waterman and Duggan?

as much as we are a bit jaded at the 'good kid, leadership material' vanilla discourse, we definitely lack leadership in the middle, and I am genuinely excited by Duggan's leadership capacity.

If Duggan can maintain his poise and good decision making under extreme pressure, we will be so much better off as a side.

I really think our biggest deficiency as a side is our midfield's capacity to handle pressure and not turn the footy over. Moreso than pace or size. Fingers crossed Duggan takes it all in his stride and becomes our rock in the middle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back