List Mgmt. Welcome Liam Duggan Pick 11 2014 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably. Different sort of player. Quick and outside, means they have a higher chance of playing. Next question?
Lol I highly doubt that.
Cockatoo played one game this season let alone any senior experience.

And laverde has a long way to go, he is no more likely to play games then say duggan IMO.

I could see him more so with his outside speed but I'm not convinced he will get games early on all things considered. Will be an interesting player to follow.
He'll have to play a few games in the VFL but I reckon he'll be a super sub

Lol I highly doubt that.
Cockatoo played one game this season let alone any senior experience.

And laverde has a long way to go, he is no more likely to play games then say duggan IMO.

You can doubt all you want, it's a pretty basic concept. Outside players like Weller, Laverde or Cockatoo with legspeed will have an easier transition into AFL. I'm sure you said back in 2011 that Gaff won't feature at all too right?

Last edited:
You can doubt all you want, it's a pretty basic concept. Outside players like Weller, Duggan or Cockatoo with legspeed will have an easier transition into AFL. I'm sure you said back in 2011 that Gaff won't feature at all too right?

Like I said cockatoo has other reasons why he won't play , can't you read pal?

Wrt laverde the guy wasn't playing midfield in tac and there have been questions marks over his position. I know you have a crush on him but I don't think had we taken him we would be dropping Rosa for him.

Gaff leg speed is similar to duggan, given injuries and some good form in wafl I could imagine him getting some game time next year. And if not it doesn't matter, immediate impact shouldnt de the key driver for drafting IMO. That is short sighted.

Like I said cockatoo has other reasons why he won't play , can't you read pal?

Wrt laverde the guy wasn't playing midfield in tac and there have been questions marks over his position. I know you have a crush on him but I don't think had we taken him we would be dropping Rosa for him.

Gaff leg speed is similar to duggan, given injuries and some good form in wafl I could imagine him getting some game time next year. And if not it doesn't matter, immediate impact shouldnt de the key driver for drafting IMO. That is short sighted.

Like you said.... you highlighted the fact Cockatoo has played one game, which everyone is well aware of on this board. And what are these other extensive reasons you mentioned? Hasn't played senior footy? You mean like all the vic draftees?

The question marks over Laverdes position, means nobody knows what his best role is. He could be playing off a flank for the bombers next year. But he'll be playing.

Duggan won't get a game until one of our immovable midfielders is rested, injured or dropped. With his size and lack of exposure to senior football, this won't be until mid season at the earliest.

If I had to bet on which 2014 draftee will play round one Laverde would be right up there. He's likely only going to be competing with about 24 players for a spot after all

If I had to bet on which 2014 draftee will play round one Laverde would be right up there. He's likely only going to be competing with about 24 players for a spot after all
Haha true. Boekhorst is a lock as well, the Blues will be desperate to justify his early selection and he's ready to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like you said.... you highlighted the fact Cockatoo has played one game, which everyone is well aware of on this board. And what are these other extensive reasons you mentioned? Hasn't played senior footy? You mean like all the vic draftees?

The question marks over Laverdes position, means nobody knows what his best role is. He could be playing off a flank for the bombers next year. But he'll be playing.

Duggan won't get a game until one of our immovable midfielders is rested, injured or dropped. With his size and lack of exposure to senior football, this won't be until mid season at the earliest.

Lol love how you make claims with no basis. Your foresight is a beautiful thing, do me a favour and pm me next weeks lotto numbers.

Laverde may play at the bombers if their squad is out on bans but tell me again how he was going to crack a game at west coasts immovable team. Please justify to me who we would be dropping and why someone like duggan couldn't also come in for said dropped player...

Laverde can play as outside mid.. Laverde can play as a flanker... Hmm I'm pretty sure duggan could too... But yeah sure laverde being tall and highly rated by dark sharks obviously means he would have be playing for wce from the get go.

Again in reality, whether these players will be playing and making an impact from the start isn't the objective of drafting (more so an added bonus). Your persistence to find negatives in our drafting is commendable none the less.

So you're going to be happy we "loaded up on midfielders" who sit in the WAFL? That's realistically going to be this entire draft crop.

A midfield which will eventually consist of Sheed, Waterman and Duggan?
Do you even take into account that you are assuming you know the talents of Sheed, Waterman and Duggan as 25+yo?? I reckon it sounds freakin awesome on under 19yo facts!!
And you obviously do not rate any of Gaff, Yeo, Karpany, McGinness, Colledge or more Nostradamus with any of Nelson, Cavka or Lamb to ever be of AFL midfield quality.....?
Pick the top ten AFL midfielders and I`ll give you a number of questions about their ability as 19yos...
BTW- how many of those top ten are of absolute express pace??
An explosive wingman it easier to find than a gun mid.... or 3. IMHO.

Lol love how you make claims with no basis. Your foresight is a beautiful thing, do me a favour and pm me next weeks lotto numbers.

Laverde may play at the bombers if their squad is out on bans but tell me again how he was going to crack a game at west coasts immovable team. Please justify to me who we would be dropping and why someone like duggan couldn't also come in for said dropped player...

Laverde can play as outside mid.. Laverde can play as a flanker... Hmm I'm pretty sure duggan could too... But yeah sure laverde being tall and highly rated by dark sharks obviously means he would have be playing for wce from the get go.

You mean like this clown? You sneer at another opinion when you yourself bring nothing but your own thoughts.

And cockatoo or laverde would have been straight in the afl team right...

It has nothing to do with Laverde being rated by me, if you could tone down the moron for 2 seconds, that would be sweet. Duggan does not possess any of Laverdes height, speed and X factor which we would, and still do desperately need in our midfield. Going into the draft, the analysis on WCE was that we lack outside speed and carry. He'd score extra for bringing that point of difference. There is also the fact he's got 6kg's on Duggan in a much bigger body.

As a ball carrier Duggan looks to have Gaff's measure slightly. In terms of explosive speed neither are remarkable, but it's a silly discussion. Gaff is exceptionally one sided and it's that fact, rather than his lack of size that holds him back. He'll always be an elite runner and always a threat if left unchecked.

Duggan looks to have the decision making and disposal to play on ball, pace isn't that important inside stoppages and on the outside you can get on well enough without it. It's the transition between the two where it matters the most.

Do you even take into account that you are assuming you know the talents of Sheed, Waterman and Duggan as 25+yo?? I reckon it sounds freakin awesome on under 19yo facts!!
And you obviously do not rate any of Gaff, Yeo, Karpany, McGinness, Colledge or more Nostradamus with any of Nelson, Cavka or Lamb to ever be of AFL midfield quality.....?
Pick the top ten AFL midfielders and I`ll give you a number of questions about their ability as 19yos...
BTW- how many of those top ten are of absolute express pace??
An explosive wingman it easier to find than a gun mid.... or 3. IMHO.

I'm trying to understand what you're asking here.

Will Sheed, Waterman and Duggan improve as players by the time they are 25? Of course they will. Will they improve their Speed, Height, or X factor? No. Just like Selwood, Masten, Priddis and Hutchings haven't improved those areas over the last 5 years. Some things can be trained, some cannot.

Dangerfield? Griffin?

You mean like when clown? You sneer at another opinion when you yourself bring nothing but your own thoughts.

You clearly misunderstood my initial point. I found it odd that you assume none of our draftees would be able to crack into our team and yet others who we overlooked would have. For whatever its worth I don't necessarily agree that duggan and co won't play. Injuries happen, Opportunities open up. And I just don't believe players like laverde are any more likely.

I have no problem with other opinions, I'm just gonna voice my own when someone is making diffinitive conclusions based on his own assumptions.

It has nothing to do with Laverde being rated by me, if you could tone down the moron for 2 seconds, that would be sweet. Duggan does not possess any of Laverdes height, speed and X factor which we would, and still do desperately need in our midfield. Going into the draft, the analysis on WCE was that we lack outside speed and carry. He'd score extra for bringing that point of difference. There is also the fact he's got 6kg's on Duggan in a much bigger body.

Not sure why the need to call me moronic. Maybe you think it will make you 'win' this argument.

As for laverde, he did not even play midifield in tac at under 18 level. Bontempelli in comparison played full time mid and dominated after the under 18 champs last year. Laverde did not.

Duggan posseses poise and good foot skills something which our midfield also needs for quicker ball movement. Johno marsh had speed, height and x factor last year, wonder why he wasnt playing every game for collingwood, they sure could have used it...

The reality is tho that more then likely neither duggan or laverde would be pushing to cement a spot in our team next year and making a significant impact. But hey, I'm still waiting for you to let me know who laverde would be replacing.

Will Sheed, Waterman and Duggan improve as players by the time they are 25? Of course they will. Will they improve their Speed, Height, or X factor? No. Just like Selwood, Masten, Priddis and Hutchings haven't improved those areas over the last 5 years. Some things can be trained, some cannot.

Dangerfield? Griffin?

Mitchell, Boak, Sloane, Hanneberry, Rockliff, Chapman

All players that are neither particularly tall or quick but by age 25 were/are accomplished players

Dangerfield? Griffin?

You seem to be concentrating on physical differences, no doubt these matter but differences in skill, awareness, smarts and composure are more important.

In that regard i'm not necessarily sure i see the comparison between the first group and the second. Especially considering they're being coached and drilled differently from day 1.

You clearly misunderstood my initial point. I found it odd that you assume none of our draftees would be able to crack into our team and yet others who we overlooked would have. For whatever its worth I don't necessarily agree that duggan and co won't play. Injuries happen, Opportunities open up. And I just don't believe players like laverde are any more likely.

I have no problem with other opinions, I'm just gonna voice my own when someone is making diffinitive conclusions based on his own assumptions.

Not sure why the need to call me moronic. Maybe you think it will make you 'win' this argument.

As for laverde, he did not even play midifield in tac at under 18 level. Bontempelli in comparison played full time mid and dominated after the under 18 champs last year. Laverde did not.

Duggan posseses poise and good foot skills something which our midfield also needs for quicker ball movement. Johno marsh had speed, height and x factor last year, wonder why he wasnt playing every game for collingwood, they sure could have used it...

The reality is tho that more then likely neither duggan or laverde would be pushing to cement a spot in our team next year and making a significant impact. But hey, I'm still waiting for you to let me know who laverde would be replacing.

I'm not banking on winning any arguments on this board, trust me. Peoples opinions are peoples opinions, and they rarely change.

Because collingwood weren't lacking in those areas to the same desperate point we are? Or maybe Johnno Marsh didn't impress in the VFL? Either way, highlighting another team that was just as unsuccessful as we were last year doesn't really prove a point.

I didn't bother letting you know the exact player Laverde would replace because without looking at our best 22 i haven't got anyone off the top of my head. Maybe Rosa is pushed to the back flank for stints freeing up a wing, maybe masten plays more time in the guts to accommodate Laverde on a flank, maybe hill and/or hutchings are completely out of the team altogether freeing up a pocket and/or a bench position, who knows?

It's the coaches job to figure out how to accommodate Laverdes talents into the side, i'm sure it would be possible. More so then with Duggan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back