Analysis The SANFL supporter base survey..

Who do you support in the SANFL?

• Port Magpies

• Norwood

• Glenelg

• Sturt

• WWT

• South Adelaide

• North Adelaide

• Central Districts

• West Adelaide

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Parents grew up Maggies supporters, but for some reason I went rouge and cheered for WWT mainly as well as the Maggies as a kid. Probably because I got conned into doing AusKick with them.

As I got older though and started becoming more invested in the game and the Power I pretty quickly started to put 100% of my support behind the Magpies..... Not that I really follow the SANFL at all anyways.

i chose magpies. I support the Port Adelaide Football Club and the magpies are part of the Port Adelaide Football club
But....its no more an interest than keeping an eye on our AFL listed players.
I dont like the SANFL. Its an irrelevant competition and my only interest in it is seeing our AFL listed players develop.

Yes i went to the 2014 SANFL grand final but i couldnt tell you the last SANFL game before the GF that i attended

As much as I loved growing up watching the mighty Maggies in the SANFL, I have to agree.. the competition has become boring and my interest has only increased because all of our AFL listed players are finally playing for the Maggies when not in the AFL as they should have been all along.

We (Port Adelaide Football Club) are represented as Port Magpies in the SANFL and Port Power in the AFL.. Feel better?

Not really.

lol - why?

It shouldn't be Port Magpies and Port Power.

It should be Port Adelaide aka "The Power" at AFL level and Port Adelaide aka "The Magpies" at SANFL level.

Like St Kilda aka "The Saints" instead of St Saints.

I went to a meeting of supporter groups at Alberton in February 2012 and the club had done some big survey and had dug up the names of 45,000 lapsed members between 1997 and 2011. They said the result of the survey showed 93% of members surveyed, showed fans either supported the Magpies or no interest and no club in the SANFL.

Connecting with those 45,000 is a big part of why we have gone from 29,092 members in 2010 to 60,000+.

Last edited:
I went to a meeting of supporter groups at Alberton in February 2012 and the club had done some big survey and had dug up the names of 45,000 lapsed members between 1997 and 2011. They said the result of the survey showed 93% of members surveyed showed fans either supported the Magpies or no interest and no club in the SANFL.

Connecting with those 45,000 is a big part of why we have gone from 29,092 members in 2010 to 60,000+.

Bingo. Still have vivid memories of Cornes and Rowe scoffing at our Live The Creed/1870 brand direction even after we sent representatives to give a presentation especially for them on why this was.

"They'll never appeal to the wider support they need to be viable".

If this mythical pool of neutrals existed, why would they want to support a generic Port Adelaide if they weren't inclined to support a generic Crows? And if they were to be that turned off by decades of success why would they want to support Port anyway?

And if the logic holds, where is the army of neutrals aching to support Manchester United if only they'd call themselves the Blue Devils and stop referencing the Busby Babes?

Goodness me this provincial backwater.

It shouldn't be Port Magpies and Port Power.

It should be Port Adelaide aka "The Power" at AFL level and Port Adelaide aka "The Magpies" at SANFL level.

Like St Kilda aka "The Saints" instead of St Saints.

I think we are on the same page.. We are Port Adelaide (full stop), one club, represented in two different comps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I support Port Power, the new team made in 97, that stole the Magpies heritage :D

You seem confused.. Why does your avatar say 'Port Adelaide Heads for the AFL'?
Moved to the AFL or a 'new team' created in 97, which one is it?

You seem confused.. Why does your avatar say 'Port Adelaide Heads for the AFL'?
Moved to the AFL or a 'new team' created in 97, which one is it?

i'm just being flippant man, that green smiley is dripping in cheekiness for mine, that's how i put across my cheekiness. i think we should rise above such petty squabblings. there are absolutely no identity issues and nobody thinks so, so there is no need for us to be precious I say. I am comfortable making fun of it because of how ridiculous it is. to let it affect us is way too small time for the Port Adelaide I think I know..!

o_O.../me scratches head......username Alberton_Magpie.....Other teams: NYG, ManCity, WWT Eagles

I actually commend people who support other local league clubs and also support Port in the AFL, can't say I could do the same, I wonder if most people that have different local club allegiances but follow AFL Port are newer followers after '97 and don't have inbred hatred ingrained by family members through the generations through local PAFC dominance

There was a phase in 2008 when I basically just suported Nick Salter and I have never changed it since. I couldn't name one WWT player today!

Back