The big 4 clubs and the AFL's future

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know, you'd probably need to go to each club's website and collate it manually. Of course the definition of "membership" is rubbery; it's been distorted so clubs can throw big numbers at potential sponsors.

Bums on seats is the ultimate measure of support.

I'd say revenue is the ultimate measure.

I thought it was supposed to be about how important they are to the future health of the competition. The consensus seems to be, "not very".

They absolutely are. But they all are.

My own view is that the quicker the AFL gets to a level playing field the better. Keep the draft but no draft concessions. Keep the cap but no special allowances. Random draw. Let it play out.

The big 4 will always be the big 4. Carlton and Collingwood at the bottom of the ladder still able to get 80K at the G.
When Hawthorn and Sydney Swans start to decline, they will be lucky to get 20K at the G.

60K is pretty ordinary for Carlton and Collingwood at the G. Not terrible but not good either.
Certainly at a low ebb are these traditional big followed clubs in general.
If they all in the bottom 6 this year just suck it up.
Remember going to the G when a train strike was on around 1988 and still over 80K turned up.
Population of Melbourne increased since that time but crowd numbers nothing special in our clashes.
We even get games spread out all over weekend to maximise attendances.

We been s**t for a long time now. The days of the appeal to go has dropped off as less bang for buck at the ground.
No reserves, stupid gimmicky pre-game stuff and game break nonsense slowly turns many off us over time.
The compelling feel to be there for some has gone that it once had.
Wonder how big the Melbourne population was in 1970 when over 121 thousand turned up to see our two clubs.

Anyway, some time in future the AFL will have 3 or 4 of these clubs up near top at same time and AFL will make a big deal of it.

They absolutely are. But they all are.

My own view is that the quicker the AFL gets to a level playing field the better. Keep the draft but no draft concessions. Keep the cap but no special allowances. Random draw. Let it play out.

You probably will get pretty much everything you want ... but you will never get a ... "Random draw" those days are long gone.

Big 4 will be fine. Supporter base has substance. Minnow clubs like hawks and Geelong require success otherwise they will cease to exist.

The big 4 will always be the big 4. Carlton and Collingwood at the bottom of the ladder still able to get 80K at the G.
When Hawthorn and Sydney Swans start to decline, they will be lucky to get 20K at the G.
The Big 4 have huge supporter base!

And midget membership revenue

I honestly don't think your average ignoramus Malbunite understands what an absolute bohemouth West Coast actually are. Clubs like Carlton and Richmond aren't even in the same ballpark... and they'll go to another level when the new stadium is completed.

It's not an exaggeration to say that we'd almost be able to buy some other clubs just from cash at hand

As opposed to St Kilda being the joke of the competition since the 60s?

I am not defending St Kilda really. That is a nice distraction but the fact is St Kilda have been significantly (statistically) better than Richmond since the comp went national in 1987. It is a stone cold statistical fact that Richmond are the worst club since 1987 (AFL). The only clubs with worse records since 87 are the Bears and Fitzroy - both now defunct. You cant argue the stats. I also dont hide from the fact that the Saints have had their problems and at times have been the worst run club in the comp. But since 87 Richmond are the worst and that does not look like changing any time soon. You can run but you cant hide from this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit much coming from a Saints fan apart from one year when haven't you been s**t 28 wooden spoons. Let's keep the juggernaut rolling
Doesnt really answer the question though does it. If football is 'cyclical' and every club has an up period - what cycle is Richmond on?
Havent won a final since 2001 and the worst performed side since the comp went national in 87. The other big difference is that most Saints fans own our s**t history. Tigers fans seem to be kidding themselves that things are ok.

How many Richmond fans on BigFooty attended the 1980 grand final? I am tipping not many. So the old VFL flags from the 60s and 70s now mean absolutely nothing. When the comp went national they completely failed. It is like saying Sth Melbourne won a lot of flags in the old NSL. It is no longer relevant.

Last edited:
God I am loving watching this conversation.

Big Four: WE'RE BIG! We carry the competition! We fund your loss-making minnowhood! We are the giants!
Everyone Else: Hahahahahaha
Big Four: WE ARE! The AFL needs us!
Everyone Else: This isn't 1985
Sydney, Hawthorn, Geelong: *wins flags*

Carlton are a little club when it comes to money
Carlton is the richest club in the AFL. There are about 4 billionaires on the board. If there was no salary cap,
Carlton would buy the best players, just like Real Madrid and Barcelona!

Big 4 will be fine. Supporter base has substance. Minnow clubs like hawks and Geelong require success otherwise they will cease to exist.
Hawthorn's no minnow any more, their membership numbers are staggering and courtesy of the 80s and the recent flags, they will continue to be so for a very long time.

Our support is probably a little softer due to the geographical spread of our supporter base but our tenancy arrangement at Kardinia means we're certainly in a positive position for the future.

Carlton is the richest club in the AFL. There are about 4 billionaires on the board. If there was no salary cap,

If there was no salary cap Eddie would have been begging for one when West Coast won our 10th Premiership

Hawthorn's no minnow any more, their membership numbers are staggering and courtesy of the 80s and the recent flags, they will continue to be so for a very long time.

Our support is probably a little softer due to the geographical spread of our supporter base but our tenancy arrangement at Kardinia means we're certainly in a positive position for the future.
Pies members are down 70 - 55 thousand ish off the back of a few years. To be honest I see Geelong having more stable numbers than hawks once they drop off. People like watching winners.

Pies members are down 70 - 55 thousand ish off the back of a few years. To be honest I see Geelong having more stable numbers than hawks once they drop off. People like watching winners.
Hawks supporters are less complacent than many other clubs with more fans. They got a lesson of the merger fiasco of 1996 as the Melbourne Dawks that woke them up every one of their pets and little kids they better sign up. Their management taught their fans to sign up in big numbers and the message got through.

4 billionaires and still millions in the red.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back