VFL Sandringham v Casey 2pm Saturday @ TBBO

Remove this Banner Ad

For anyone who actually cares about the football match.

VFL RESULTS - SENIORS
Sandringham 7.3 9.3 13.6 16.6(102)
Casey Scorpions 1.4 10.8 15.12 19.19(133)
Goals: Shenton 3 Dennis-Lane 3 Kreymborg 2 McCartin 2 Cook Minchington Longer White Curren Saunders
Disp: Lee 25 McKenzie 24 Wright 23 Curren 22 Cook 21

Poor as hell 2nd quarter let us down hard.

For anyone who actually cares about the football match.

VFL RESULTS - SENIORS
Sandringham 7.3 9.3 13.6 16.6(102)
Casey Scorpions 1.4 10.8 15.12 19.19(133)
Goals: Shenton 3 Dennis-Lane 3 Kreymborg 2 McCartin 2 Cook Minchington Longer White Curren Saunders
Disp: Lee 25 McKenzie 24 Wright 23 Curren 22 Cook 21

Poor as hell 2nd quarter let us down hard.
Oh look Lee 25 disposals. Roo needs to be dropped to bring Lee in or Richo needs to be sacked

Did Goddard play today if so how did he go?

What anyone suggests a diffrrent opinion to the coach they are on the grog. How is that weed treating you choof
What bullocks
Lee needs to learn how to defend at AFL level.

Both Paddy and Goddard are Richo "favourites". How many games have they go this year?
Name the favourites he plays over Lee. And if you say Geary I will know you are just trolling.

How do you learn AFL when you play 1 game and get dropped?

How many chances has Lonie had this year and done nothing?

Gilbert & Geary couldnt hit a target for weeks?

I understand AR wants tackle pressure, thats how you win back possession. BUT how does that take precendence over players who when they have possession kick it straight back to the opposition.

Roberton for his size is not a strong overhead mark and he hasnt played for 4 weeks. Who does he match up on Darling? That leaves Dempster to manage Kennedy. Surely Lee would be a better match up on Kennedy and have Dempster take Darling.

Time will tell but Ill be backing Kennedy at home to kick at least 6.

I'd be interested to see Lee's tackle stat from today.

I understand AR wants tackle pressure, thats how you win back possession. BUT how does that take precendence over players who when they have possession kick it straight back to the opposition.

I agree with this one point, I think we have to let our good technicians have a bit more leeway when it comes to defensive pressure.

Having said that, he IS in the side as a defender, plus it's clearly one of the Non-Negotiables in the Sexton-Richardson coaching philosophy, for better or worse. Hopefully Tom can adapt, I'd hate to lose him.

What anyone suggests a diffrrent opinion to the coach they are on the grog. How is that weed treating you choof

Roberton for his size is not a strong overhead mark and he hasnt played for 4 weeks. Who does he match up on Darling? That leaves Dempster to manage Kennedy. Surely Lee would be a better match up on Kennedy and have Dempster take Darling.

Simply Lee is a defender who wont tackle and he got two games not one.
Couldnt afford to have a passenger down back. Nothing to do with favourites.
And Roberton is miles ahead of Lee.

Rob

roberton for his size is a great overhead mark, robertons best is much better than lees ever could be, i agree 4 weeks out then straight back in is a bit risky. But much better footballer than lee, even if lee is unlucky, must be doing something wrong that we are not aware of, still lee is not in our best back 6, roberton is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simply Lee is a defender who wont tackle and he got two games not one.
Couldnt afford to have a passenger down back. Nothing to do with favourites.
And Roberton is miles ahead of Lee.
Lee sure as hell didn't look like a "passenger" to me in his two games for us a few weeks ago. In fact I walked away from the hugely disappointing (overall) GWS game thinking Lee's game was one of the very few positives I could find from it. On closer inspection he wasn't as defensively minded as he could have been or needed to be, but other than that he was very good and it sounds like Hudson was very happy with how he defended last week, so if he's now got that defence/attack balance right he could be a real asset to us back there in a role that we're supposedly feeling like we need to fill.

Sure it would be great if he was a tackling machine, but in today's footy it's also extremely important to have those who can take regular intercept marks and kick the ball with his precision and length out of the backline, so perhaps we could sacrifice a few tackles for a bunch of intercept marks and laser passes.

As for your last comment, having seen both Lee and Roberton's form for us so far this year, I would have said there was very little in it at all on this year's form, as I thought Robbo was pretty "meh" in his 2 and 3/4 games prior to his injury- where he was playing more of the 3rd-tall role that Lee would be playing than the flank role he did so well in last year.

If it was Robbo on the flank v Lee in the 3rd-tall role then at this stage it would be Robbo clearly, but with Joey and Sav now playing the role Dylan played for so much of last year, if we're picking him to play taller, then I think it becomes a much closer call.

Last edited:
Lee sure as hell didn't look like a "passenger" to me in his two games for us a few weeks ago. In fact I walked away from the hugely disappointing (overall) GWS game thinking Lee's game was one of the very few positives I could find from it. On closer inspection he wasn't as defensively minded as he could have been or needed to be, but other than that he was very good and it sounds like Hudson was very happy with how he defended last week, so if he's now got that defence/attack balance right he could be a real asset to us back there in a role that we're supposedly feeling like we need to fill.

Sure it would be great if he was a tackling machine, but in today's footy it's also extremely important to have those who can take regular intercept marks and kick the ball with his precision and length out of the backline, so perhaps we could sacrifice a few tackles for a bunch of intercept marks and laser passes.

As for your last comment, having seen both Lee and Roberton's form for us so far this year, I would have said there was very little in it at all on this year's form, as I thought Robbo was pretty "meh" in his 2 and 3/4 games prior to his injury- where he was playing more of the 3rd-tall role that Lee would be playing than the flank role he did so well in last year.
I don't rate Roberton. Lee ahead of him for me

I don't rate Roberton. Lee ahead of him for me
Not for me. Roberton offers a lot more IMO, his run and carry has been terrific for us. Lee has a good boot on him and is a good intercept mark but not a lot of pace. We are trying to base a game on rebound so I'm not surprised Roberton is ahead of him.

I'm not trying to bag Lee out, I just think Roberton is a much better option.

Not for me. Roberton offers a lot more IMO, his run and carry has been terrific for us. Lee has a good boot on him and is a good intercept mark but not a lot of pace. We are trying to base a game on rebound so I'm not surprised Roberton is ahead of him.

So your saying Roberton has pace? And dashes off the half back Bob murphy like?

For mine Robbo has the experience as well. Lee is doing well learning a new trade and has moments where he looks good but clearly there are some none negotiables to get you in the team.

So your saying Roberton has pace? And dashes off the half back Bob murphy like?
Last year, after Sav was moved out of there after the first few games, Dylan was pretty much our "no.1 rebounding HBFer" and he played some really good footy in that role, but with Sav returning permanently to that role from the start of this year and Joey joining him on the other flank, it pushed Robbo back to more of the "3rd tall" role that Lee is best suited to.

So Lee and Robbo are pretty much competing for that one spot, hence Lee taking his place for the first two of the games he missed. Robbo plays the role with more run and carry and tackling, while Lee brings more contested/intercept marking to the table, is possibly a bit stronger 1-on-1 and IMO is a more penetrating and longer kick (but Robbo's kicking is also very effective).

We know what Robbo brings to the table and I don't see much between them for that 3rd-tall role, so this is why I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't take this golden opportunity to see how Lee goes if he's now found a better balance between defence and offence. I don't think it would have killed us or Robbo if he'd come back through the VFL and that would have just given us another chance to see what Lee brings, so that we can make a more informed decision going forward about what our 3rd-tall stocks are like back there.

Last edited:
I'm not saying he is Bob Murphy but yeah he's got more pace than Lee.
I personally don't think he's quick & at 194cm you wouldn't really expect him to be.

I think lee is a better intercept mark then Roberton and its debatable that he has a better leg too.

I wouldn't consider nethier of them quality
attacking defenders.

Every coach in any comp has favourites and unless you are told to tank every coach id trying to win. It seems our coach doesn't rate Lee and rates Robbo. That's life. It isn't like its comparing Mark Scott to Tony Lockett. There isn't a heap in it. I would take Robbo but others wouldn't.

I personally don't think he's quick & at 194cm you wouldn't really expect him to be.

I think lee is a better intercept mark then Roberton and its debatable that he has a better leg too.

I wouldn't consider nethier of them quality
attacking defenders.
Roberton is an elite kick he was at around 90% kicking efficiency for most of last year Lee is a better overhead mark but in every other area Roberton is ahead of Lee

Roberton was great for us last year, didn't get off to a quick start this year. Would have been happy for him to come back through the reserves for a week. Long term he should be an important player for us, his kicking is seriously underrated.

Putting Lee on Cameron was throwing him to the wolves, would like to see him play in a game where he can be the third tall that is able to zone off and use his intercept marking and great kicking skills (loved how he wasn't afraid of taking the risky option).

Last year, after Sav was moved out of there after the first few games, Dylan was pretty much our "no.1 rebounding HBFer" and he played some really good footy in that role, but with Sav returning permanently to that role from the start of this year and Joey joining him on the other flank, it pushed Robbo back to more of the "3rd tall" role that Lee is best suited to.

So Lee and Robbo are pretty much competing for that one spot, hence Lee taking his place for the first two of the games he missed. Robbo plays the role with more run and carry and tackling, while Lee brings more contested/intercept marking to the table, is possibly a bit stronger 1-on-1 and IMO is a more penetrating and longer kick (but Robbo's kicking is also very effective).

We know what Robbo brings to the table and I don't see much between them for that 3rd-tall role, so this is why I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't take this golden opportunity to see how Lee goes if he's now found a better balance between defence and offence. I don't think it would have killed us or Robbo if he'd come back through the VFL and that would have just given us another chance to see what Lee brings, so that we can make a more informed decision going forward about what our 3rd-tall stocks are like back there.
Roberton is an elite kick he was at around 90% kicking efficiency for most of last year Lee is a better overhead mark but in every other area Roberton is ahead of Lee
I dont totally agree. Lee also has a very under rated kick.

Besides that what are all the other area's that Roberton blitzes lee?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back