Autopsy Collingwood defeats Geelong by 24 points at the MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Menzel as much as anyone, but honestly he hasnt been up to AFL Standard this year....
what-did-you-just-say.gif

This game really show how easily it is to win or a lose a game based on a great start and not taking chances. They were brilliant in the first and we were well below even average. By the time we got back in the game, we never took the little chances, while they buried us whenever they took the game on. Kudos to Collingwood, and at least we got done by a team having a real crack and playing good football on the day. Hopefully we learn a lot from this and for all invovled in the club and supporters alike, it is a great reality check and we can get rid of the lid nonsense and premierships, and just concentrate on weekly football and improving from them.
Yep, couldn't agree more. Good teams take chances. Just forced myself to watch the 1st quarter. We could have had 3 on the board before they kick a goal, and the run on not so daunting if that is the case. The rest wasn't as bad as I thought either. They were terrific, sharp and committed, good tackling, got a couple of lucky breaks, threw the ball a bit ( haha), clever at keeping the ball off us-not sure if we won a single centre clearance- and there you have it-break even and we have the ball at least. In the middle, comon boys. Took them awhile to actually score a goal, so it was more like a 12 min run. We were just a little off, couple of mistakes, little unlucky a couple of times. All it takes in an even comp. Work harder.
ps so far Bews, Ruggles and GHS all ok!
and yep, it looked different at the ground. Worse.
We were sitting in front of a whole row of young indigenous boys from Maningrida in the territory-barracking for the Pies, enjoying that quarter. Afl doing some good work.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat - haven't watched a replay since being at the game. But yes, I saw it very differently by the sounds of it. Particularly the "risk" and "quickly" bits.

I will go back and look at the goals at some point. Particularly the first quarter. I suspect it will be instructive.
As someone who did this very thing yesterday it made for interesting, but still painful, viewing.

I probably have a slightly different take on the quarter than I did from the stands on the weekend.

I recorded the game 'cause I was looking after the kids for the day, with the idea that I could enjoy a quiet evening watching the highlights of a 10 goal smashing... Yeah.

Watched anyway, but skipped the first quarter, which gives me a bit of a different perspective on the game I think (no built up frustration and I already knew we'd lost). So my quick thoughts:
  • Special mention of Cory Gregson, who was tackling hard and making his presence felt. Not sure of his impact on the game as a whole, but I felt like this is why he spent some time in the middle at points, a reward for intensity.
  • The last quarter was all momentum, and players were happy to ride it until it ran out, which is a bit shit to be honest. I get frustrated that I knew that after Collingwood kicked that goal to go back out to a 15pt lead, they'd push harder around the contest, and it feels like our players didn't know that. Great teams respond quickly to regain momentum, we're not there yet.
  • I felt like Mitch Duncan worked hard for the three quarters that I watched and he seemed to play with the urgency the game needed after the first quarter.
  • Two years ago it annoyed me that Bartel and Enright were the only ones busting a gut in these sorts of games, but I loved seeing them look composed and busting a gut early in the second quarter.
  • Don't understand some of the Henderson hate I saw in some areas. He's actually quite composed and skillful. He doesn't do everything right, but he won some important contests and is getting himself into good areas, which is underrated.
I actually enjoyed watching us work our way back in to the game; in a frustrating loss, there were some good signs, and even though some players went missing (again), I feel like they've matured enough that they'll respond quickly.

I watched the replay on Saturday night and it's was obvious that the cats were on top for most of the game. This is stating the obvious but Collingwood kicked a goal on almost every set shot and then the cats missed what seemed like 80% of their set shots...this really cost them the game. If the cats were going at 50-60% conversion then they would have won...even though the cats didn't deserve to win.

I watched the replay on Saturday night and it's was obvious that the cats were on top for most of the game. This is stating the obvious but Collingwood kicked a goal on almost every set shot and then the cats missed what seemed like 80% of their set shots...this really cost them the game. If the cats were going at 50-60% conversion then they would have won...even though the cats didn't deserve to win.

I read on Twitter last night - perhaps it was SJ who posted it? - that if we had converted with the same % accuracy that Collingwood did we would have won. Our poor goalkicking was somewhat swept under the carpet after the Crows game because it was still a convincing win, but if Saturday's loss was good for one thing, it will hopefully be the attention to this issue that is deserved.

I read on Twitter last night - perhaps it was SJ who posted it? - that if we had converted with the same % accuracy that Collingwood did we would have won. Our poor goalkicking was somewhat swept under the carpet after the Crows game because it was still a convincing win, but if Saturday's loss was good for one thing, it will hopefully be the attention to this issue that is deserved.
Yes that's right. Given the location and pressure faced under our shots at goal Champion Data had our expected score about 10 points higher than Collingwood's. Except we converted poorly and they converted well.

Round 1 I thought we were deadly accurate, kicking 18.8, and that's including Dangerfield's 3-4 missed sitters. Since then, and this is only my gut feel watching the games, we've missed not only a few dead-set sitters per game, but your regulation 35-40 metre goals are proving troublesome as well. And it's only been getting worse as the year has gone on. I watched the VFL yesterday and under blowy conditions we managed 16.8, and that was with at least a few punched/rushed behinds in the first quarter that I distinctively remember.

It doesn't excuse playing poorly, but if you kick well in front of goal, you can squeeze out a few extra wins even when well down on form. This game was the perfect example of that. You could argue even the GWS game we could have stolen had we kicked a bit straighter. So far we've been doing things the hard way due to our poor goal kicking. Even against Adelaide we put ourselves in a dangerous position despite having double the amount of scoring shots.

It doesn't excuse playing poorly, but if you kick well in front of goal, you can squeeze out a few extra wins even when well down on form. This game was the perfect example of that. You could argue even the GWS game we could have stolen had we kicked a bit straighter. So far we've been doing things the hard way due to our poor goal kicking. Even against Adelaide we put ourselves in a dangerous position despite having double the amount of scoring shots.

The GWS game proves your point even more than Saturday. We absolutely dominated the first 20-25 minutes of that game and should have been 3-4 goals up at quarter time. Instead, we trailed by two points despite having three more scoring shots, and it allowed GWS to breathe a sigh of relief and get their running game going. And then, in the last quarter, we had two or three chances to level the scores or hit the front and we blew it every time (Kersten and Gregson the main culprits from memory). Immensely frustrating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to state the obvious here, but......

Enright.
Saturday I see him get the ball and think, good, he won't waste it.
And then I'm completely astounded at the composure he shows.

I mean its night and day when compared to the rest of the backmen.
In fact I'd say Guthrie is the only one in his ballpark when down back with regards to composure.
And even then, it would need to be a big ball park.

Now I know he's played 300 games, but the gulf between him and players like Taylor, Lonergan, Mackie, Henderson, Bews, ruggles etc. is extreme.

Boy are we going to miss him.

I heard Malthouse say a few weeks ago that when he was coach of Collingwood that against Geelong they used to play as many players as possible through the midfield and absolutely flog their midfielders into the ground .

Not sure if this is whats still going on but it does seem that they are able to play at a very high intensity against us.
I heard that too but Malthouse said that in reference to the 2007 Prelim so I hardly see how it's relevant now.

Enright.

In fact I'd say Guthrie is the only one in his ballpark when down back with regards to composure.

Now I know he's played 300 games, but the gulf between him and players like Taylor, Lonergan, Mackie, Henderson, Bews, ruggles etc. is extreme.

Of course, but Boris is a once in a generation player.

That would be like Hawthorn fans saying they'll miss Mitchell, or Freo fans saying they'll miss Pavlich.

And remember, the player best suited to taking over from Enright is currently on the sidelines. Thurlow will be like a new recruit in 2017.

Enright.

Agree but I feel Mackie is also very composed with it. Not always a big fan of his but with no Thurlow he's been very good this year given his age. Is going to be devastating losing both but hopefully Ruggles and Bews, etc can learn as much from them as possible before hand.

Agree but I feel Mackie is also very composed with it. Not always a big fan of his but with no Thurlow he's been very good this year given his age. Is going to be devastating losing both but hopefully Ruggles and Bews, etc can learn as much from them as possible before hand.
Oh look, I don't worry about Mackie or Taylor for that matter.
But Enright just seems to hold fire, and then hit an attacking option. At a time when all the other defenders are taking safe options.

The issue that came out of the game and the issue we'll continue to have all year and why we won't win the flag is that we still have a slow defence that can easily be exposed on the break with speed. Collingwood played on and moved the ball with speed constantly on Saturday and that curtailed our ability to set up defensively the way we need to in order to win games, we're restricted with our game plan because we can only play one way and that's slow methodical footy that gives us time to set up, once we're forced to play quick end to end footy we'll always be likely to be exposed in defence.

Collingwood were coached brilliantly on Saturday as Bucks realised our weakness and set up time and again for the quick counter, quite willing to let us waste away repeat inside 50's so we'd get sucked up the field and leave immense amounts of space for their quick mids to run in to. We have a great defence when we're able to get back and slow the oppositions ball movement down but Saturday showed we really have no answer to teams that will set up to counter with speed.

Last edited:
No loss is really acceptable this year to anyone bar GWS and perhaps Swans or Eagles away. I could have much more easily stomached a fighting loss last week far as losing to sides that are worse than us goes. Adelaide are a good deal better than freaking Collingwood.

Is as much about the way we always lose though. Get smashed in contests and clearances early and badly out worked. Panic like hell all over the park. Drop 6 goals behind. Gradually claw it back be it in very ugly and unconvincing fashion before fading again after getting within striking distance. Have seen that loss so many times and really thought we were past that shit this year.

Buddy I think you just don't like losing .I don't either but no side can be up every week, that's why we have never had a team go through a season undefeated.

Like I said in another thread we need to do 2 things .
1.Win 17 games
2.Play well in the finals

Of course, but Boris is a once in a generation player.

That would be like Hawthorn fans saying they'll miss Mitchell, or Freo fans saying they'll miss Pavlich.

And remember, the player best suited to taking over from Enright is currently on the sidelines. Thurlow will be like a new recruit in 2017.
Plenty of the backline -Enright, Taylor, Hendo, Mackie, (even Ruggles and Bews, a fair bit), have been composed under pressure this year actually. Lonergan some panicky moves early in games but has improved as game has gone on. Not worried about our backs. They are solid.

The issue that came out of the game and the issue we'll continue to have all year and why we won't win the flag is that we still have a slow defence that can easily be exposed on the break with speed. Collingwood played on and moved the ball with speed constantly on Saturday and that curtailed our ability to set up defensively the way we need to in order to win games, we're restricted with our game plan because we can only play one way and that's slow methodical footy that gives us time to set up, once we're forced to play quick end to end footy we'll always be likely to be exposed in defence. Collingwood were coached brilliantly on Saturday as Bucks realised our weakness and set up time and again for the quick counter, quite willing to let us waste away repeat inside 50's so we'd get sucked up the field and leave immense amounts of space for their quick mids to run in to. We have a great defence when we're able to get back and slow the oppositions ball movement down but Saturday showed we really have no answer to teams that will set up to counter with speed.
We just got flogged in the middle, and didn't get enough use of the ball-it isn't a back line problem. Fix the middle, we win that game easily.

The issue that came out of the game and the issue we'll continue to have all year and why we won't win the flag is that we still have a slow defence that can easily be exposed on the break with speed. Collingwood played on and moved the ball with speed constantly on Saturday and that curtailed our ability to set up defensively the way we need to in order to win games, we're restricted with our game plan because we can only play one way and that's slow methodical footy that gives us time to set up, once we're forced to play quick end to end footy we'll always be likely to be exposed in defence. Collingwood were coached brilliantly on Saturday as Bucks realised our weakness and set up time and again for the quick counter, quite willing to let us waste away repeat inside 50's so we'd get sucked up the field and leave immense amounts of space for their quick mids to run in to. We have a great defence when we're able to get back and slow the oppositions ball movement down but Saturday showed we really have no answer to teams that will set up to counter with speed.

Collingwood are not the first side to try and expose our slow defence, its been going on since round 1 this year.

Keep in mind that if sides are going to play on at all costs than it gives us plenty of chances to create turnovers that we can score from.

Collingwood are not the first side to try and expose our slow defence, its been going on since round 1 this year.

Keep in mind that if sides are going to play on at all costs than it gives us plenty of chances to create turnovers that we can score from.
We have a terrific defence by any measure I would have thought, and it has held up for every game really-we have been in positions to win every game and it wasn't the defenders who cost us those games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back