Worst AFL/VFL Snipes

Remove this Banner Ad

John Wynne 1978 SANFL GF was running full pelt and got a bump near the coaches box, back in the day coaches sat at ground level, on his way in he decided to give Sturts coach Jack Oatey a whack for sitting there.

Jack Oatey was 58 at the time. Sniper Wynne was 29
I'm pretty sure he didn't whack him. He just leaned on the roof of the box and talked to him. Apparently Oatey couldn't stand him and Wynne knew it. Anyway it stirred Jack up and Norwood won the game.

Bit before my time but Mal Brown was a shocker back in the day. Serious case of white line fever as a player and or coach and the crowd used to give it to him a lot.

1992 GF as a coach for South Fremantle he went into the middle of a Q/T scuffle that had sorted itself out somewhat and than started swinging at an opposing East Fremantle player, had to be held back by players that he was coaching.
Mal Brown was a lunatic. Just liked punching blokes.

I would have thought there'd be more Goodes mentions in here considering he's the biggest sniper of all time and was deservedly boo'd out of the league for being so.

Oh wait, there's no Goodes mentions at all. Must have been some other reason for it all then.

*snicker*
Must be with the thousand of Sam Mitchell's kneeing videos.

Still have no respect for Michael Long after this.

That one is the most dangerous of them all, all that force pushing back into your neck is paralysis material, disgusting to watch needs the heaviest penalty.

Always though Lloyd hit on Sewell wasnt the worse, definately dirty but not as malicious as some. We tend to disregard it and laugh it off because it was such a clean hit, but Barry Halls hit on Staker probably the worse of the lot, unprovoked and unsuspecting. They only let it slide because hey its big bad bustly barry but its as weak as it comes really..

Why is everyone so dead set on defending snipers in the team they support? I don't get it who cares its not you making those decisions no? Hodge is a dirty sniper. Mitchell loves throwing a knee up not gonna lie... Essendon fans, Lloyd was a dirty Sniper as well. Guess what Port fans, Jonas looks dirty as hell also. Milburns hit was filthy as was Solomons. Halls probably the worst of the lot. You all look ridiculous letting your bias defend dirty acts...

Nothing tops Milburn's pathetic gutless dog act for me. He was only starting to move as Silvagni went back with the flight towards him. Decided he would launch himself and get him side on with Silvagni left with nowhere to go.

The way Silvagni is instantly knocked out and then whacks his head straight on the turf is an awful thing to watch. Could've choked on his mouthguard, broken his neck or anything that day and that dog was sfellowing like he had made himself look tough.

I would be unable to defend a teammate like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was disgusting from Stevie J. You'd have to say Thomas' retaliation was justified

Yep, you're right. That act right there was hands down ,without a shred of hyperbole, the most atrocious and disgusting act ever committed on not just a footy field but in society in general. It make Hitler's atrocities look like jaywalking.

Worsfold on Brereton. Purely pre-meditated, was apparently specifically instructed by his coach to come off the bench, take Derm out, come back to the bench.

Oh, and Byron Pickett virtually every week he played.
Not true in anyway shape or form, but my god it's probably the greatest hit of all time.

I don't think many dispute the greatest sniper was and probably still is Byron Pickett, how the bloke never copped a lifetime ban is beyond me

Really?

He was begging to be punched out in the 89 reserves GF. I've seen my share of blokes playing country football who would have had little to no hesitation in sitting Lupson on his arse. I'd be surprised if someone with that attitude didn't get his comeuppance at least one time or other.

Lupson had a reputation.

He started the brawl in the 1988 Under 19's GF between Essendon and North!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back