Toast Put your Betts on Eddie - 250 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Will kick another bag. Port dont have any counter right now, and they'll be too busy corraling Tex and Jenkins.

Eddie always enjoys himself against the Power. I can guarantee they won't put Impey on him this time. Put him down for 4-5 goals.

I said it in a match day thread but Eddie is in the same grandstand as Modra.

Not only for his goalkicking but how he raises the level of anticipation whenever the ball is heading his way. I recall how the Football Pk crowd would wait for McGuinness to sneak around Rehn and deliver the long left footer to the forward line , that's when the crowd would murmur , knowing Modra wherever the ball was kicked would run to the spot and fly and get the ball , either as a mark or as a crumber for his own spills.

The Adelaide Oval crowd has that same sense. The ball kicked to a contest , Eddie v 2. Doesn't matter Eddie will get it we say to ourselves. If he doesn't he brings it to the ground where he will jink left jink right all the while paddling the ball to his advantage and stands up where the defenders don't think to look and kicks towards goals. This time the crowd is erupting only to find a higher louder voice when the ball sails through

EDDDDIE EDDDDDIE EDDDDIE EDDDIE

#PutYourBettsFootForward

When we first got Eddie as a free agent I was happy. I thought $500k/season was about $100k/season too much, but I was ok with it as I understood our need to make up for the draft sanctions and also the need to overpay a little to get free agents to move.

What I didn't expect was for $500k/season to end up being a bargain price! I also didn't expect him to kick the most goals he's ever kicked in a season for 3 seasons in a row (I'm assuming he'll kick more than 3 goals before the season is finished) and make AA twice in his first 3 years with us (he's a lock for this year).

The other thing I didn't expect or realise was just how unselfish a player he was. I always thought of him as one of those selfish little goalsneaks when he was at Carlton. That was fine though. You want your small forwards to be selfish a lot of the time. However, Eddie is anything but that. While he does go for the impossible goals, he's also very quick to hand the ball off to team-mates in a better position to kick the goal.

I can now count on more than one hand the number of times I have cracked up laughing after watching him kick a goal from a seemingly impossible angle or situation. I now have no expectations of a situation where he can't somehow kick a goal. He just seems to be able to create goals from nothing.

So cheers for 3 awesome seasons Eddie. I hope you have a couple more good ones left in you at the very least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting on 5AA today he said Carlton offered him 2, Crows and North 4. He loved Carlton and had they given him 4 he would have stayed. What ******s.

As for Eddie, there is no doubt he made the right decision.
Heard they'd offered him 2x250K, he asked for 3x350K and they told him to pack his bags. Absolutely mind boggling decision, but their stupidity has been our gain.

Will kick another bag. Port dont have any counter right now, and they'll be too busy corraling Tex and Jenkins.

GIMPEY

Even I would join in that one

Nah, you would back him in cos the coaches can't be wrong. Then you would tell us we don't understand his non-statistical role or how important his elite run and carry is :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back