The Worst Trade Ever

Correct. I swear I see this mentioned somewhere every 6 months. If you dig deeper on our dealings with Essendon you will see just how inept we were and how smart Essendon was.

Essendon dealt us Ridley & Kickett but because clubs who lost players to us received a 16yr old they made a condition that we were not to take any players from clubs that finished lower than Essendon - thus Essendon getting first dibs on a sure thing superstar Lloyd.

We also dealt our pick 4 to Essendon for tony delaney.

I can go on, or if you search my posts on the freo board you'll see a few good displays of amateur decision making by the club initially.
Mate, it's the biggest myth on BigFooty.

Might not be the worst, but certainly one which was a waste of time.

Pick 7 to GWS (Paul Ahern) for Kristian Jaksch, Mark Whiley and pick 19 (Blaine Boekhorst).

This still pisses me off. In fact, almost everything Malthouse and Rodgers did pissed me off. Jaksch has failed to meet expectations, Whiley was too limited and we picked a player in the draft with our first pick which we could have taken later in the second or third round. This only added more pressure onto Boekhorst.

Pick 46 to Bulldogs (Caleb Daniel) for Liam Jones.

Only further sums up how much Mick and Shane were brainless twats, overrating our list by thinking they could go for any dud available and believing they could turn them into stars.

Caleb Daniel a premiership player, Liam Jones a wooden spoon with a club he couldn't get much game time with.

Add this with removing Eddie Betts to make room for Dale Thomas. One is at the peak of his power while the other is a glorified has-been.

Last edited:
Jurys out on that one. Couldn't train last preseason due to having a hernia operation. Lets see how he goes next season.
Well if Sam Mitchell was traded for pick 88, I like to think of this trade as a win :p

In terms of damage done by a single trade, this would have to be it.

Apparently, I was not alive back then, it also screwed up the club culturally letting those 3 guys go who were all big characters of punt road.

The Tigers had achieved so much success in such a short time from 1967 -74, they won four flags and were runners up just once, the actual fear of failure was rife throughout the old brigade who accomplished so much for them. Graeme Richmond was maniacal in his approach off the field, nothing but winning a Premiership was good enough and when Pitura was having problems with South Melbourne he pounced. Pitura had tickets on himself, i think he thought life would be a whole lot easier if he played in a good team rather than one that was struggling. He was found out rapidly.
Graeme Richmond was the publican at the Crystal Ballroom in the heady days of the Melbourne punk scene (yes, i was once a punk, i was a regular down there, never had the haircut, i look more like a Ramone than a Rotten.) He was always running around like a madman. The whole episode took a fair chunk out of Richmond culture which is still there today. You have to admire his ruthlessness though and the Tigers were very good at picking up fringe players during the 70's, but this time they made a huge blew.

The Tigers had achieved so much success in such a short time from 1967 -74, they won four flags and were runners up just once, the actual fear of failure was rife throughout the old brigade who accomplished so much for them. Graeme Richmond was maniacal in his approach off the field, nothing but winning a Premiership was good enough and when Pitura was having problems with South Melbourne he pounced. Pitura had tickets on himself, i think he thought life would be a whole lot easier if he played in a good team rather than one that was struggling. He was found out rapidly.
Graeme Richmond was the publican at the Crystal Ballroom in the heady days of the Melbourne punk scene (yes, i was once a punk, i was a regular down there, never had the haircut, i look more like a Ramone than a Rotten.) He was always running around like a madman. The whole episode took a fair chunk out of Richmond culture which is still there today. You have to admire his ruthlessness though and the Tigers were very good at picking up fringe players during the 70's, but this time they made a huge blew.
Enjoyed that trip down memory lane Jack !

Andrew McLeod for Chris Groom!

Won us two premierships.

This is the guy (Wallet) who picked Tambling over Franklin, right? I would take what he says with a grain of salt.
0001689394_3x2_340x227.jpg

Pick 46 to Bulldogs (Caleb Daniel) for Liam Jones.
The problem with this is that you are somewhat assuming Carlton would've picked up Caleb Daniel. Chances are you most likely wouldn't have.

But I agree with the general gist of your post that Mick and the guys he had working with you made some terrible recruiting decisions during those few years - Dale Thomas being the clear biggest bust of the lot.

This is the guy (Wallet) who picked Tambling over Franklin, right? I would take what he says with a grain of salt.

Trades have a strange way of working themselves out a decade later

Can't argue with that, Richmond got more for trading Tambo to the Crows than we got when Buddy left.

We took Griffen over Franklin which 10 years later landed us Tom Boyd at the right time

mark Williams to Essendon for pick 9

That trade involved four clubs, three players and eight draft picks so it's difficult to break down into "Williams for pick X", but it definitely wasn't "Williams for pick 9" since pick 9 was Hawthorn's to begin with.

Not even close.
You could argue we paid overs, and St. Kilda's Hugh Goddard still has a long career in front of him, but Stanley has stood up in the ruck over the past two years where others have fallen by the wayside. He's been ok. Often threatens to grab games by the scruff of the neck, and has played maybe 2-3 real crackers in his time at the club.
Allan Christensen's career at Brisbane is going nowhere; sad, as he was one of my favourites at Geelong while he was there.

That's Rhys's ceiling though. Threatens 1 in 10 games then is unsighted for the next 3. Massive tease. Seen it for 5 years at the Saints. Kid could be great if he didn't get injured all the time and ever managed to follow up the promise. Rhys was one of my too.

That's Rhys's ceiling though. Threatens 1 in 10 games then is unsighted for the next 3. Massive tease. Seen it for 5 years at the Saints. Kid could be great if he didn't get injured all the time and ever managed to follow up the promise. Rhys was one of my too.

all that still doesn't make it among the worst trades ever, though.

The worst trade ever that I can recall..was after Lynch accepted the Brisbane offer, Fitzroy was in the market for a full forward and offered Richmond, Broderick & Gale for Hogg & Lambert... Like many other Roy supporters at the time I wasn't to keen on that deal ....

What happened next, would have to have be, if not, the worse deal would run close to...Lambert, on hearing of the deal, had a massive dummy spit and refused to be part of the trade..Telling Richmond he'd decide where he was going..ending up at Brisbane. One would have thought Fitzroy would have walked away from the deal.. but instead they compensated Richmond for their loss and gave Broderick, Gale & Dundas just for Hogg... That's got to be the worse ever....Worse for Fitzroy, was Hogg did nothing

Good memory. And you are right - that does sound like a horrendous deal for Fitzroy. Almost a club ending trade.

Also can anyone tell me what Hawthorn have traded for Hale, Gibson and Burgoyne?

Certainly not THE worst trade ever (even as a collective), but am i right to say they've traded 6 pretty good picks for:
  • an average ruckman that was considered the #2 ruckman at Nth Ballarat last year in the vfl,
  • an ok mid sized defender and
  • a silky midfielder with a recent history (at time of trade) of injury, who's coming to the end of his career.
6 potentially decent youngsters would be preferable to what they'll get out of those 3....

Hmmm

Back