News Barlow to be delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

He was the main reason we won 3 games in a row last year, without him it could have been zero.

Unless his shoulder is so bad he will miss 12 games, I'd be signing him as depth to cover off losing one of our other inside mid's again. Can't believe no other team wanted him, even for some low pick.

I actually think there are clubs that want him but they know that we were most likely going to delist him anyways (like Dylan Roberton). He will be picked up now as a delisted free agent no problems.

Pearce. Suban etc can GTFO right now - WTF is Bondy thinking? Lloyd nails the best trade period ever, then Bondy kicks us in the collective soft bits with this one...

Pretty simple, and you already know this, but the others are contracted. I would think that their time is up at the end of their contracts, so we'll see the back of Subes (and probably Ballas) in 12 months, D Pearce in 24.

As much as it's a kick to the nuts, if we're going to embark on a 'play the kids' rebuild, then we need to maximise the number of spots available for young developing players so that we can filter out the ones that don't come on over coming drafts. It's not about current impact or productivity of Barlow - but whether he'll be at peak performance in 3-4 years as our current crop hit their straps. It sucks that we couldn't get a trade for him, but he's out of contract - so there's little leverage.

He will be missed.

Last edited:
This is an unadulterated screw up of the highest order. Averaged 24.5 disposals over 3 marks and 6 tackles a game this year and he gets punted.

Poor way to treat a servant of the club of his magnitude.

He will be sadly missed. Someone needs their baws kicked for this!

My two fondest memories of him is him resigning on when other clubs were after him because "Freo gave me a shot!" And Mick Malthouse allegedly giving the Collingwood recruiters a bollocking because they didn't have Mickey B in their top100 recruits when we took him!

Bye Mick. You were hard done by.

Its the right decision no doubt, but it still sucks. He was a quality player and an even better person. One of my favourites for sure!

I actually think there are clubs that want him but they know that we were most likely going to delist him anyways (like Dylan Roberton). He will be picked up now as a delisted free agent no problems.
But if they knew that, why not take him for pick 88? I'm sure Freo would have done the trade at the end of the trade period.

Maybe Mitchell & Lewis took the only old gun spots available this year.

But if they knew that, why not take him for pick 88? I'm sure Freo would have done the trade at the end of the trade period.

Freo would have done that trade. But why bother when they could get him as a DFA

I am fuming at this. He literally fought tooth and nail for An AFL career. Even then it was Freo of all teams to give him a chance of a life time. He should of been given 1 more year just on the Port game alone. and another year would of made him a free agent too.

Watch when another team picks him up and tears the comp again.

Barlow, You were the heart and soul of our club and I enjoyed every game you played, especially when you tore up Geelong every time you played.

I wish you nothing but good thing to happen post Freo career.

This is actually one of the more upsetting ones. Good player and clubman who wears his heart on his sleeve.

Why? Explain please why it was the right decision "no doubt"
Miss barlow , right decision no doubt , because barlow can offer more to other team since he is delisted might get 2 years contract from other team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would be the point. With his delisting today we now use pick 71 in the draft. This pick after list submissions and the academy bidding will drop to somewhere in the 60's.

Obviously the clubs were not willing to part with a pick below 70 and knowing that he was already being delisted. It was a shame we couldn't have upgraded our pick 71 to something a bit lower and made for a simple move. But at the end of the day other clubs have to come to the party.

A pick after 71 isn't much good to us.

All the very best to Micky B, always loved his work for freo.

What would be the point. With his delisting today we now use pick 71 in the draft. This pick after list submissions and the academy bidding will drop to somewhere in the 60's.

Obviously the clubs were not willing to part with a pick below 70 and knowing that he was already being delisted. It was a shame we couldn't have upgraded our pick 71 to something a bit lower and made for a simple move. But at the end of the day other clubs have to come to the party.

A pick after 71 isn't much good to us.

All the very best to Micky B, always loved his work for freo.
I think pick 71 will be another rough diamonds.

Going to bite us on the arse, Pick 71 or Barlow ...FFS.

s**t decision.

I definitely see you as one of the more sane and balanced poster on the boards so interested in your opinion.

If pick 71 never plays a game for us it will roughly be the amount of games Barlow would have played for us if he had stayed. Unless we had another unmitigated disaster of a year injury-wise who would he forced out of the side?

We are more than covered from a half forward point of view now and in the middle Blakely, Neale, Fyfe, Mundy etc or even guys like Weller are ahead of him. Not the foot skills to play off half back either. Where would he have played?

I definitely see you as one of the more sane and balanced poster on the boards so interested in your opinion.

If pick 71 never plays a game for us it will roughly be the amount of games Barlow would have played for us if he had stayed. Unless we had another unmitigated disaster of a year injury-wise who would he forced out of the side?

We are more than covered from a half forward point of view now and in the middle Blakely, Neale, Fyfe, Mundy etc or even guys like Weller are ahead of him. Not the foot skills to play off half back either. Where would he have played?

You only need two injuries and suddenly your depth is exposed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back