Review Walyalup Beat The Reigning Premiers, Time To Book The Bus?

Remove this Banner Ad

The people with zero patience wanting to drop Jeager are looking a little silly now.

No one can replace Dave M but he's a decent player with valuable experience and leadership for a young team.
Speaking of David Mundy, the auskick tall young man in the purple number 10 top in the middle of the ground with the flowing blonde locks looked just like David Mundy playing. The way he moved, the way he kicked the ball, the way he walked.

If I found out it was one of Mundy's boys we should start getting very excited for that prospect.

I can’t help think that it’s as simple as the fact the midfield is now winning ball.

Darcy has gone hulk mode, O’Meara has found his feet, Brayshaw is back to his best, Unicorn and Fyfe providing the grunt. Serong has played well all year.

the ball is going forward at least as much as it’s going backwards
Yeh. I always thought the midfield was one of biggest the issue at the time. If you continuously getting smashed out of the clearances

1. Playing always from the back foot. No matter how good your defensive wall is, if it's under relentless siege it's going to eventually crack and give up goals

2. The defense under constant siege get pressured to clear the ball , but then it comes back straight in. Must of been frustrating. They then play this mentality of bit of selfish football. Chipping it around to themselves. Slowing down the play.

3. Forwards starved of the ball move up the ground to help out, but when eventually they win the ball, there is no forwards to kick to and they lost their structure. Doesn't help also the mids kept bombing it on their heads

Last edited:

I couldn’t get there live this week but watching the replay Treacy seemed to have a significantly bigger impact than what his stats suggest.

I don't know if the coverage picks it up but Josh Treacy spent a lot of time when he was on the bench up by the boundary line yelling and gesturing like a coach, moving his forwards around and Frederick was doing what he was told.

Josh was setting them up ahead of the ball. I noticed last week he was doing it a bit, but couldn't see off camera obviously, flip side is on the coverage you can see Josh holding back and protecting his team mate ahead to they mark uncontested, putting on blocks etc

Good footballer

Still seeing people pot Treacy and Banfield. I understand some frustration, I don’t rate the latter that highly but I’ve seen no reason to drop him on form shown this year. Treacy is a work in progress, we’re talking about a 20 year old KPF here. Many don’t hit their stride until 23-24.

But FFS, we put 100+ against one of the most consistently well organised defences of the past 15 years. Even if individuals aren’t posting amazing stats (and I’d say some of the very good things Banfield and Treacy did yesterday don’t get recorded on stats sheets), if our forward line as a unit is working, what do you want to change?

It’s reminds me how both Medhurst and Farmer were very good forwards but somehow the sum was less than the parts. And when we kept the former out of the team, Wizard had his best season for us, propelling us into the prelim. Ideally we should have found a way to work, and that was on the coach, but at the same time you don’t mess with what’s working.

I feel the same way about our forwardline now. It’s hard to make a case to take anyone out of it. The people who do have an axe to grind.
Completely agree! I feel our fwd line has an intelligence about it now… this is something that Taberner won’t ever bring

Can someone explain this to me:

If a player is getting tackled, they've had prior, but step over the boundary line at the last second - Is it still holding the ball? Or is it just throw the ball in?
If you are talking about the Schultz tackle I am absolutely certain it should have been holding the ball. By the time he’d crossed the line he’d already dropped the ball.

It seems that all of the players we were throwing s**t at have finally come good this season, O'Meara, Hughes and Banfield have all been fantastic lately.

Also to think 8-10 years ago this stretch of wins would have put us as premiership favourites, Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong and Fremantle, feels like 2013-2015 all over again.

I don't know if the coverage picks it up but Josh Treacy spent a lot of time when he was on the bench up by the boundary line yelling and gesturing like a coach, moving his forwards around and Frederick was doing what he was told.

Josh was setting them up ahead of the ball. I noticed last week he was doing it a bit, but couldn't see off camera obviously, flip side is on the coverage you can see Josh holding back and protecting his team mate ahead to they mark uncontested, putting on blocks etc

Good footballer
Good pick up. I noticed this too as I was sitting just to the left of our bench. He is going to be a very good player and it looks like he has found the confidence to be the general in the forward line.
I watched the reply early this morning (couldn’t sleep😜) and I would say the biggest difference between the the first 6 weeks and now is confidence and belief. After the North games the players were really down on themselves and it’s taken hard work and the boost of winning to to get that back. They are playing for each other and not themselves.
I understand that we all critisise players when they make a mistake but players are humans and not robots. We are playing footy that is exciting and risky and with that mistakes will happen. We are generating enough oppo mistakes with our pressure to have that as a plus in our favour.
I think we are going to beat some of the top sides in the remaining 13 rounds and maybe sneak into 8 and another finals experience for the players would be valuable but I just want to to continue to see the development of the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game plan seems more attacking now with the players looking to move the ball forward much faster. There also seems to be a much better awareness to look at short to mid distance passes into the forward line.

A better game plan combined with quite a few players having improved significantly from the early part of the season is getting results.

The thing we have at the moment is scoreboard pressure, midfield muscle and a sound defence, we are a serious side when we bring all that into a game. Go Freo.

Our handball releasing the man outside the contest was great yesterday. For the last season or so I have been critical of our over use of handball. To me we would handball at least 1 time too many and often not to any real advantage. Yesterday I thought we got the balance about perfect for most of the game.

"... I would say the biggest difference between the the first 6 weeks and now is confidence and belief. After the North games the players were really down on themselves and it’s taken hard work and the boost of winning to to get that back. They are playing for each other and not themselves."
Absolutely...If the coaches/leadership group cant enable that, nothing else matters.

For an athlete,
moving on from a mistake,
for a team,
resetting after a bad loss,
or a bad quarter,
are absolutely essential skills.

I actually don't think our game play has changed much at all. Maybe a bit more handpassing to generate overlap run after creating turnovers at half back.

It just looks different because more of our attacks are starting at half back or futher forward because we're forcing turn overs before it gets to deep in the D50 (a place from which it is too risky to regularly move the ball out quickly) / winning clearances.

The people with zero patience wanting to drop Jeager are looking a little silly now.

No one can replace Dave M but he's a decent player with valuable experience and leadership for a young team.
That’s me.
He’s been impressive last three weeks. Shackles off and just ball hunting. His running away from clearances is actually decent. Him and Fyfe want to build something, whereas Brodie and JOM couldn’t

Banfield is benefiting from being the last forward planned for behind the three talls, Walters getting the heavy lock down defender and Schultz/Switta. He is taking his opportunities and doing very well, particularly in link up play.

It looks to me like Schultz and Banfield have swapped roles with Schultz applying the tackling and pressure, Banfield now offering the marks up the ground to move the ball.

Maybe it's just because the side is looking to use more options moving the ball in shorter kicks that our hard working forwards are getting a taste.

Maybe Schultz is being protected from too many arms up high marking contests.

Doesn't really matter.

It's working.

We look a lot better when our dynamic players in Jackson and Switta are involved through the middle, just a simple touch or a handball into space for a team mate to run onto at full speed.

The ball movement was quick. Hawkins really doesn't waste his chances, a quality player.

Shame the Cats had five goals to start from umpiring calls but not to worry.

I'll watch the replay tomorrow evening on the treadmill and get a different perspective.
It make sense though, doesn’t it?

Schultz as the wing outlet kick is too short. He hardly ever grabs those.
Banfield marking or at least forcing a contest is underrated, and glad he’s been forced up the ground.
Banfield was often around defensive 50. The forwards are staying away from each other too. Lots of one on ones.

I actually don't think our game play has changed much at all. Maybe a bit more handpassing to generate overlap run after creating turnovers at half back.

It just looks different because more of our attacks are starting at half back or futher forward because we're forcing turn overs before it gets to deep in the D50 (a place from which it is too risky to regularly move the ball out quickly) / winning clearances.

We are also moving the ball less towards the extreme flank. We still do it but it only takes one less per quarter where we instead move the ball into the corridor that results in a goal and we win by 24 points.

When you consider that a single mistake in a two hour game of football can result in a goal and lots of games are split by under four goals, it's really a much tighter contest most of the time that it looks.

Yeap I was one of them. Jaeger being able to play both the mid and half-forward role compliments Fyfe too. He's been great since the Brisbane game.

I felt we were in control for most of the game.

Even when the cats got it within a goal or two. I always felt we had enough dominance to middle to kick clear again.

Not sure what others felt. But i suppose some could have been nervous.

But i wasn't.
True. But even if you dominate they can kick those freaky goals. Like how Hawkins can just pull it out of ruck and kick a goal. Or Cameron can just let loose.

Not much has changed in O'Mearas form really - he's just spending more than 60% time on ground.

He was never bad - he was just spending so much time on the bench he was never really effective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back