Review Walyalup Defeat Narrm!

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to manufacture a special event when the crowd is that sparce.

As an aside Melbourne are screwed in terms of supporters long term. Over time ppl move out to the burbs and will take up new teams. The new demographic in the city won't be following Melbourne.
Demons are paying the price for a decade of complete utter shitness.

If you were a kid growing up between 2007-2017 who would want to be a fan of the Dees.

They were where WC are now but for 11 years.

Hard to manufacture a special event when the crowd is that sparce.

As an aside Melbourne are screwed in terms of supporters long term. Over time ppl move out to the burbs and will take up new teams. The new demographic in the city won't be following Melbourne.
Wtf are you talking about its not 1995. The cbd population in all Australian cities is only going to increase and Melbourne's is already the highest per head.

Watch games in the 80's and 90's. Maybe I should have said "reached the ground hard". Part of the reason is it was open with no flooding, so there were much fewer arms-pinned tackles laid. Arms usually flailing in open space, run downs, a few stand-up tackles at stoppages, etc. Another stat ... that 1989 GF had 47 tackles to 25(!). In the most brutal game of all time. Most of the other finals were 50-60 total tackles. Both teams had 75 each yesterday.

And I'm not talking about more stoppages. Pretty much every single slam tackle penalised was going to be a stoppage otherwise. There's almost zero stoppages prevented by waiting on a tackled player who is pinned with no arms free (i.e. the situation which leads to a dangerous tackle). Admittedly some of these tackles do happen too quickly to stop the action by a whistle.
The primary reason they're penalizing it is to protect the head. The most direct way to do this is to shift the risk/reward balance on the pin-the-arms-drag-to-the-ground-tackles.

Blowing the whistle sooner is much less direct and much less clear in emphasis/intent.

O'Meara easily could of kept his feet there, he deliberately went to ground to maximise his opponent also going to ground (while also pinning his free arm).

The '89 GF example was used to show (rewarding) tackles isn't what the most exhilarating core of the game is about. It's more on marks, goals, free movement of the ball.

Sure locking the ball in there by O'Meara was great defensively and reduced the chances of a goal. But swings and roundabouts down the other end where they'd also have less defensive weapons to halt our attacking forays.

I'd still appeal the sentence though, on the grounds Spargo contributed to the momentum of the table.

Watch games in the 80's and 90's. Maybe I should have said "reached the ground hard". Part of the reason is it was open with no flooding, so there were much fewer arms-pinned tackles laid. Arms usually flailing in open space, run downs, a few stand-up tackles at stoppages, etc. Another stat ... that 1989 GF had 47 tackles to 25(!). In the most brutal game of all time. Most of the other finals were 50-60 total tackles. Both teams had 75 each yesterday.

And I'm not talking about more stoppages. Pretty much every single slam tackle penalised was going to be a stoppage otherwise. There's almost zero stoppages prevented by waiting on a tackled player who is pinned with no arms free (i.e. the situation which leads to a dangerous tackle). Admittedly some of these tackles do happen too quickly to stop the action by a whistle.
Flooding was introduced by Mick Malthouse during his time at the Eagles. Yes there was flooding during the 90s.

Wtf are you talking about its not 1995. The cbd population in all Australian cities is only going to increase and Melbourne's is already the highest per head.
Yeah but he moves to the cities? Young professionals (who already have a team they barrack for from the burbs) and new immigrants (who likely DGAF about footy).

No one who moves to the CBD/inner city area is going to start supporting the Dees.

Flooding was introduced by Mick Malthouse during his time at the Eagles. Yes there was flooding during the 90s.

Wasn't it Rodney Eade?

I never liked Malthouse because he implemented a Vic-style football that was long down the line and never crossed goals. He was never innovative and boring as bat s**t.

Wasn't it Rodney Eade?

I never liked Malthouse because he implemented a Vic-style football that was long down the line and never crossed goals. He was never innovative and boring as bat s**t.
If so, then it was still implemented during the 90 whan Eade coached originally.
More floods than an Eastern states summer deluge.

This is the main reason I switched to Freo when they entered the competition. It wasn’t really flooding but more a risk free play the boundaries and if in doubt get it out or hold it in for a ball up. As opposed to the Victoria down the guts/down the middle mantra of the day

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't it Rodney Eade?

I thought it was Terry Wallace when he was coaching the doggos. Still mostly 90s

I thought it was Terry Wallace when he was coaching the doggos. Still mostly 90s
Nah it was definitely Eade. Although like nearly every great invention it was based on elements that already existed that he brought together, e.g. Pagans Paddock.

Wallace was the first to employ the 'super flood' a few years later with essentially the whole team lining up in the back half or even inside 50. (I didn't remember that part I had to google it!)

I do remember Gary Hocking trying to employ it in a WAFL game to try and reduce the margin of a Peel flogging. My recollection is it didn't work..

Nah it was definitely Eade. Although like nearly every great invention it was based on elements that already existed that he brought together, e.g. Pagans Paddock.

Wallace was the first to employ the 'super flood' a few years later with essentially the whole team lining up in the back half or even inside 50. (I didn't remember that part I had to google it!)

I do remember Gary Hocking trying to employ it in a WAFL game to try and reduce the margin of a Peel flogging. My recollection is it didn't work..
I probably associate the flood with the controversies of the super flood

My memory was Eade being the first to get widely known for it as a regular tactic at Sydney. Funnily enough though even with Freo being regualarly crap we had a good record against them due to iirc the way we played hanging on to the ball a lot in possession.
In the 28 completed seasons since our inception Sydney have only missed the finals 6 times, but excluding defunct and expansion teams our 5th best record is against Sydney.
They lost their first five ever games against us '95 to '98. Story checks out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back