News Walyalup Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm in a tricky spot here team, please do your best not to plummet this into a politics thread. Square Peg has a point where it's nothing but positives on here but I get wanting to discuss numpties on facebook. Lets at least stick the conversation to this particular piece of news and avoid heading down the typical talking points in Australia Day and The Constitution.

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
WALYALUP-ARTICLE-IMAGE-1-.jpg

I know this has been posted in other threads, but **** me this is beautiful and I would 100% be keen for this to be permanent for us.

Absolute credit to the team and to Roger for this effort. It looks amazing and gives me all the feels.

Love it, but genuinely wonder what goes through the minds of people that laugh react it on Facebook... you don't want to call them racist, but what's wrong with celebrating first nations culture?

I see this as a fantastic initiative with no downside, I love it, I feel positive about it, and I'm proud of Fremantle for doing it, yet those people exist... so am I missing something here?

Love it, but genuinely wonder what goes through the minds of people that laugh react it on Facebook... you don't want to call them racist, but what's wrong with celebrating first nations culture?

I see this as a fantastic initiative with no downside, I love it, I feel positive about it, and I'm proud of Fremantle for doing it, yet those people exist... so am I missing something here?
These people will argue it's "virtue signalling" or some rubbish but like you said, there's literally no downside to it and at the very minimum it raises awareness of Indigenous culture, land and language.

If we're being honest, it also sells a lot of merch because the designs are always awesome. It's all positives for the club and First Nations people.

Personally I am just that little bit prouder of the club today.

Last edited:

I think in a world where alot of companies have seen the financial benefit in so-called "woke" branding and marketing stunts, there's a part of society that's really turned off by that sort of thing. Of course that's no reason for them to act like a dick about it. It's the bare minimum and hurts no one and at the very least the Club backs it up by their other activities. Some people will just always find a reason to complain unfortunately.

You only have to look up who Fremantle is named after to realise it's problematic - least of all because he was never present. There are literally no losers in this if it were to become permanent - especially when you look at how Fremantle as a town positions itself.

You only have to look up who Fremantle is named after to realise it's problematic - least of all because he was never present. There are literally no losers in this if it were to become permanent - especially when you look at how Fremantle as a town positions itself.
That is "slightly" too far for me which is fine because it will never be a permanent thing

Hmm, funny that not a single person has actually come on here to post anything negative or against the idea, and already in five posts it's the alleged supporters that have escalated it to a discussion on Australia Day and how apparently a third of the population are deeply racist.
Just celebrate it as a good initiative and take the unilateral cheap shots elsewhere
That's a tad disingenuous. There's already a bunch of "stick to football" comments on the Facebook Instagram, and Twitter posts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be against completely changing the name permanently, but is there any precedent for adopting a dual moniker?

ie. Fremantle/Walyalup Football Club
I could get behind that but I think it would be problematic in adopting - for one, one of those names is being left out all the time because no one is permanently referring to us as the Fremantle/Walyalup Dockers everytime.

Temporary change is a good initiative from Melbourne and something I assume all clubs will do shortly - maybe even this year, we just announced it first

Last edited:
Well this is seemingly an unpopular opinion but I reckon it's meaningless. Fremantle is our identity and heritage which is not just since 1995, and to cast it aside for a name that nobody even uses for what is likely to be no tangible benefit just seems utterly pointless.

I remember back in the day when there was talk of us moving to the WACA and dropping the Fremantle name it was met with widespread condemnation. This seems to be the same sort of thing.

I won't lose any sleep over it, but excuse me if I'm not as excited as many of you are pretending to be. Happy for anyone to try and convince me otherwise.

I think it's possible to concurrently enjoy the celebration of local Indigenous culture on a large platform such as a football club while also recognising that it's a token gesture planting a flag in atop hill of far more valuable work being done behind the scenes to benefit the wider community and that the football club stands to benefit from an injection of funds for a cause that will protect the finances gained from it as if it were the cause itself as any opposition to profiteering will be taken as opposition to the cause itself.

Well this is seemingly an unpopular opinion but I reckon it's meaningless. Fremantle is our identity and heritage which is not just since 1995, and to cast it aside for a name that nobody even uses for what is likely to be no tangible benefit just seems utterly pointless.

I remember back in the day when there was talk of us moving to the WACA and dropping the Fremantle name it was met with widespread condemnation. This seems to be the same sort of thing.

I won't lose any sleep over it, but excuse me if I'm not as excited as many of you are pretending to be. Happy for anyone to try and convince me otherwise.

I think for many of us, we see it as a step in the right direction and are rightfully happy for the change, no matter how small or insignificant it might be. We know deep down that a lot still needs to change - and many of us won't see those changes in our lifetimes, or even our children's lifetimes.

What we are seeing, however, is a general shift in attitude in the younger generation(s) and yes, some of what the club did can be seen as pandering to them on some level, however, regardless of the intentions, the change is still a positive one and done in the right way in collaboration with ex-players who are indigenous

And I for one, am happy about it and genuinely so - not pretending at all

I think you need to view this in isolation from any other indigenous issue.

We have a proud history of many incredible indigenous past\current players & making them important part of Freo culture.

You can view this as an acknowledgement of the roles and influence they have had & will continue to have on this club. The club is rightfully respecting their importance to our club.

I think you're missing the point a bit. This whole thing is an effort to better appreciate the identity and heritage of the club, not supplant it.

The club was founded, trains, and plays on the lands of the first nations people of the Perth region. We have a really special tradition of indigenous engagement and this only adds to that tapestry.

This country is inching along a continuing journey of reconciliation with the first people on this land and this is a small but important step/contribution to that journey. We've come from a situation where those people were officially considered to be animals in our constitution, to a place where major sporting organisations will willingly re-brand in recognition of the place of aboriginal Australians in our culture.

Yes it might be token, and the club is absolutely going to benefit from the merchandise sales (although I wouldn't be so sure that this whole exercise will net a positive $$ position once you consider there is over 2 years of work that has gone into it at this point) but without these smalls steps we wouldn't see the big ones.

no it doesnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back