Review Walyalup Defeat Narrm!

Remove this Banner Ad

Almost finished watching the replay and about to go back and read this thread, but before I do...

I've seen enough and I'm ready to call it now... in 3 years Johnson will be our best midfielder. If Fyfe and Mundy had a baby they would call him MJ.

Tough crowd. We play risk free footy and can’t get a win to save our lives. Play daring footy and win 4 in a row but people want to pot Walker for a couple of moments in the game. Do people not realize that having the oppo’s best small forward having to be accountable to him more than balances the equation?
It's also worth re-stating Walker is one of the youngest players of our young team. He has had gruelling games against top-class forwards who've played way more than he has and he's done well.

His talented oppo Kozzie can blitz matches and today, didn't. We had a super grindingly-fought win and young Brandon played his part.

Had to coincide with Driz getting some match fitness. Before he was ready we had no other viable options for the wing. Even if he's not racking up the stats him being there makes a huge difference.
👍
Drizzle is a ripper
Best thing is he still isn’t back to his goal kicking form of last year so we still have that to look forward to

A game of two halves, in a weird way the Darcy injury actually forced our hand and arguably meant players like Shultz, JOM and Cox had to really step up.

A few basic thoughts on top of the general comments earlier in the thread:
  • great for the young guys to get a win on the G, especially in rubbish winter weather when not every kick went perfect. We get so few games at the G that ever chance to play there is a bonus learning opportunity for every player. With vets like Walters out, plus the Darcy injury, it was even more of a learning and growth game than usual;
  • We are really developing a much better kick balance than earlier in the year when we had an over handball obsession. Players like Young, Ryan and young MJ really focused on kicking instead of handballs, which gave us great results;
  • Forward tackling - so great to see each of Treacy and Amiss not just get multiple goals but also multiple tackles - such a key part of their growth to learn to put pressure on inside 50 when they don't immediately take marks.
  • We compensated for Darcy's loss against some of the best rucks in the AFL. Treacy was great as a fill in, but guys like Fyfe and Serong also did sterling work in wearing down Grundy and Gawn at contested throw ins, which really evened out the contest. Even if Darcy misses two or three weeks we have a chance to be able to use some of the bullocking big bodies to get us decent contests - not as great as if we had Darcy, who is just a stud, but competitive just the same, especially if Brayshaw, Serong and Fyfe are on song;
  • Our younger kids like MJ and Sturt did really well. Won't get a lot of attention, but MJ had multiple inside 50s that were really effective, and while Sturt had clangers he also had key score involvements, running wide and up on the flanks as a transfer player. With Son Son out and LJ having to go full time ruck we could have been disrupted in our forward flow, instead we reacted well;
  • Cox and Ryan and Pearce kept building. Cox had a few WTF moments but also did a great job of fading off and taking marks and getting the motion going from the back half with direct kicks.
  • Aish finally got close to a bit of form, and the combo of MJ and JOM driving in from the half forward flanks was actually a really good balance;
  • Noddy and MJ have gotten much better focus on their kicking, far less wasting time with handballs since the Brisbane game;
  • When fit, Switta, Frederick and Schultz make such an amazing difference to this team. We don't win today without their energy and repeat hard long runs; and
  • Hayden Young is a beast of a tackler. Just a beast. Hopefully he can stay injury free for two or three years and get up to what he was going to be when we drafted him.

Also, having been there when we lost a game against the Dees when we had a tiny little lead at half time, very, very happy to beat them there two years in a row now!!

For those that haven't seen it, here are the closing stages of our second worst ever loss, after the one goal game...

Last edited:
It's been some years since I posted under a different account.

Tough going supporting Freo from inception as a young poverty stricken child in Victoria with mental health issues.

Had to walk away for a while.

But always kept an eye on what's going on.

There's something special happening here now.

How good.

It was that ******* nimrod who gave Buddy the 50 in the GF wasn’t it?
Rosebury.

But he was the nimrod who didnt ping Hodge who soccered the ball 3 times from inside centre to out of bounds as Luke Mc was on him when we were coming in the 3rd

Prrtty sure he also rewarded the cyril chicken wing tackle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe I forgot this but Alex Pearce was also very good today.

Brandon Walker back to earth after a really good few weeks. He was towelled up big time.

Geez... the guy probably has the toughest job in the team every week against the most ridiculously dangerous small forwards in the comp.

We're pretty lucky to have him, it wasn't long ago that us being 'towelled up' by a small forward meant they kicked 4-6.

Also, having been there when we lost a game against the Dees when we had a tiny little lead at half time, very, very happy to beat them there two years in a row now!!

For those that haven't seen it, here are the closing stages of our second worst ever loss, after the one goal game...

You're a good poster. I genuinely enjoy your insights most of the time.
But just for this I'm gonna send you a Dale Alcock level of bricks!

Cox had a couple moments to forget in the first quarter but I thought he really redeemed himself later on in the game. Some crucial spoils and really stood up. Even though he hasn't been great in the past few weeks I do love his composure with the ball (ignoring that one kick today), especially in general play. Doesn't panic and often finds a free guy outside 50 who can run.

Can't believe I forgot this but Alex Pearce was also very good today.

Except for that idiotic and frankly dumbest ******* moment he has probably ever had where he handballed it right into Jackson's face from 1m away.

Geez... the guy probably has the toughest job in the team every week against the most ridiculously dangerous small forwards in the comp.

We're pretty lucky to have him, it wasn't long ago that us being 'towelled up' by a small forward meant they kicked 4-6.
Yeah agree. Walker went alright today. Kozee is usually gonna score, forst one was lucky as * too. He had a HTB or two he needs to iron out, but the pressure was waaaay up. Usually we'd fold under that, so the odd mistake is more than acceptable.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mods, you know what to do.

How good was that win? Freaking love it.

Jackson, Amiss, Treacy, Johnno, so many young stars we've got on this team. When you have the likes of Banfield and Hughes having solid games week in and week out, you know the team is playing as a team. Each person knows their role and are executing it brilliantly. It takes time to build that cohesion and connection and I was starting to get a little annoyed by all the crap thrown JOM's and Jackson's and JL's way earlier in the season. I honestly didn't think they would turn it around is such spectacular fashion, but I think there is a lesson in there somewhere for us as fans.

Enjoy the bye boys. Recharge those batteries and get ready to come out swinging against the Tigers.

Also, how can we be on page 9 of this thread and no one has posted this pic yet?! Easily the best pic to come out of this game. :)

1685193257477.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back