Review Walyalup Beat The Reigning Premiers, Time To Book The Bus?

Remove this Banner Ad

I stopped coming to this board as frequently because of the ongoing negativity towards Banfield, Hughes (and even Fyfe). It's incredibly unpleasant, and often unjustified.

Banfield has been awesome since he's been given the opportunity to play regular games, instead of always being the sub. Loved his interview tonight where he talked about being fearful of being dropped each week. That's horrible pressure that so many others have not had to endure.
Haha I hear you. It's unrelenting. Lol when he's had the game like today or last week, not much they can say. But you still get one or two saying he should be dropped next week ..lol comical 😂🤣

Haha I hear you. It's unrelenting. Lol when he's had the game like today or last week, not much they can say. But you still get one or two saying he should be dropped next week ..lol comical 😂🤣
It must be sad to not be able to look at today's game and recognise how well our boys played as a 'team'. Even the media praised Banfield today. Players like Hughes and Banfield have never been Brownlow medal contenders. So many of our players are not pure champions, but gel well as players who unselfishly play for each other. Son Son set up Banfield for a goal, and Banfield did the same for Son Son. If you a fighting for a spot in the side based on stats and goals etc, then you are going to have a team of champions playing for themselves. I've even seen people calling for JOM to be dropped - he's one of our best big bodied players out there, and improves the more he blends into our team.

I don't understand what Brodie did wrong. He was one of my favourites, and I thought he was always pretty solid for us, BUT there's clearly something the coaching staff knows that the rest of us don't. Maybe he doesn't get on with the rest of the midfield?

I watched the game live, and later the replay on tv. There's little things you miss when you see the game live, but then there's other things you get a good 'feel' for.

It must be sad to not be able to look at today's game and recognise how well our boys played as a 'team'. Even the media praised Banfield today. Players like Hughes and Banfield have never been Brownlow medal contenders. So many of our players are not pure champions, but gel well as players who unselfishly play for each other. Son Son set up Banfield for a goal, and Banfield did the same for Son Son. If you a fighting for a spot in the side based on stats and goals etc, then you are going to have a team of champions playing for themselves. I've even seen people calling for JOM to be dropped - he's one of our best big bodied players out there, and improves the more he blends into our team.

I don't understand what Brodie did wrong. He was one of my favourites, and I thought he was always pretty solid for us, BUT there's clearly something the coaching staff knows that the rest of us don't. Maybe he doesn't get on with the rest of the midfield?

I watched the game live, and later the replay on tv. There's little things you miss when you see the game live, but then there's other things you get a good 'feel' for.
Yes, Dunstall of all people was praising banners lol

I can understand Brodie being dropped because the mid role he plays is too similar to JOM. Brodie also lacks the defensive part of the game with the two way running. So if we are are getting smashed at the clearances, like it was in the first few games his opposite will probably burn him off. Our midfield mix needs someone like a Fyfe or even how Ras was playing to bullock through a path for Brayshaw and Serong to then spread

Yes, Dunstall of all people was praising banners lol

I can understand Brodie being dropped because the mid role he plays is too similar to JOM. Brodie also lacks the defensive part of the game with the two way running. So if we are are getting smashed at the clearances, like it was in the first few games his opposite will probably burn him off. Our midfield mix needs someone like a Fyfe or even how Ras was playing to bullock through a path for Brayshaw and Serong to then spread
What do we do with Brodie going forward? Is it still worth going after Sharp?

his complete and utter lack of defensive work when he was in the side this year was horrific.

I think Brodie can still be an integral part of our midfield. He got bit complacent I feel based on what he did last season. Just needs to go work on his deficiencies and put extra time in over the offseason. Didn't think MJ or Ras would come on so fast to be able leap frog him. We always needs competition for spots so if needed they can cover injuries or replace those out of form.

Not sure about Sharp as haven't followed GC much. Think from what is said about him, he would be good pick up. Could play wing.

Any stats minded people know the last time we kicked over 100 points three times in a row? Feels like we're finally starting to look like a consistent offensive threat.

Amazing the difference having an emerging superstar forward makes... and Amiss is doing a pretty good job of supporting Banfield too.

Banfield 20 Disposals, 8 marks and 1.3.
He kicks 3, then that’s considered elite.
Got to give it to him, he’s gelling and punching above his weight
Amazing what you can do when you're not the sub for game after game and season after season.

Just like all the rest of the regular players now, he's improving hand over fist. Hats off to him - bloody glad we got him, bloody glad he got a two year extension.

Banfield is benefiting from being the last forward planned for behind the three talls, Walters getting the heavy lock down defender and Schultz/Switta. He is taking his opportunities and doing very well, particularly in link up play.

It looks to me like Schultz and Banfield have swapped roles with Schultz applying the tackling and pressure, Banfield now offering the marks up the ground to move the ball.

Maybe it's just because the side is looking to use more options moving the ball in shorter kicks that our hard working forwards are getting a taste.

Maybe Schultz is being protected from too many arms up high marking contests.

Doesn't really matter.

It's working.

We look a lot better when our dynamic players in Jackson and Switta are involved through the middle, just a simple touch or a handball into space for a team mate to run onto at full speed.

The ball movement was quick. Hawkins really doesn't waste his chances, a quality player.

Shame the Cats had five goals to start from umpiring calls but not to worry.

I'll watch the replay tomorrow evening on the treadmill and get a different perspective.

Got through both last weeks game and this weeks and wowee we are absolutely back to our best footy of last year. I'm trying to understand what happened those first 6ish weeks and all I can think of really is that player chemistry is a vastly underrated intangible that gets hit hard with player turnover.

It's hard to watch those games and not be ecstatic at the talent across every single line of our team.

Brayshaw is fully back to his best has made a huge difference when you combine with Serong playing career best footy. JOM has fully found his role and feet and Noddy has his running back and Darcy and Jackson are just monstering everyone they come against. The two big boys are just taking the piss at times and Jackson looks like being worth every bit what we paid. Some guy named Fyfe is slowly building each week as well

Strangely defence is almost our weakest line now but they've really rediscovered their run and dare in particular. Young seems to have a new lease on life with his rebound.

Seems Graham just needs a generational and intelligent focal point to make the forwardline hum. There is a lot of that premiership Eagles side in how the forwardline is working at the moment. The collective IQ seems to have increased ten fold and everyone is playing a role and working for each other. Some ridiculous natural talent in Amiss, Switta, Walters and Jackson is being nicely supported by the grunt or speed of Schultz, Banfield, Treacy and Freddy. I cant remember having a forwardline that looks this classy and functional.

Finally, I know it's "never as good or bad as it seems" but I'm not buying anyone writing off our wins because of who we played. This team is absolutely good enough to beat anyone on their day this year and finals are absolutely a reality if they continue to play with the confidence and freedom they have at the moment

Last edited:
I can’t help think that it’s as simple as the fact the midfield is now winning ball.

Darcy has gone hulk mode, O’Meara has found his feet, Brayshaw is back to his best, Unicorn and Fyfe providing the grunt. Serong has played well all year.

the ball is going forward at least as much as it’s going backwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t help think that it’s as simple as the fact the midfield is now winning ball.

Darcy has gone hulk mode, O’Meara has found his feet, Brayshaw is back to his best, Unicorn and Fyfe providing the grunt. Serong has played well all year.

It is critically important, but so is that we have gone away (not completely, but enough) from constant slow chip chip around the backline and down the wing to bad options, and are taking some risks and often moving it more quickly.

Also the forwards are looking better organised and dispersed v the easy to defend mega packs of the early rounds.
A lot of our goals are coming out of lowering the eyes.

Probably the most complete game of footy I've seen us play over the past two years. Genuinely battling to find anything you could remotely consider a negative. Even the guys who may not have had huge games all contributed.

Smashed them out of the centre, then smashed harder when they pushed back - gave their forwards nothing.

We were a little bit nervous when Fyfe got subbed out after that phenomenal third quarter, but Johnno just came on and ... kept doing the exact same things with the exact same intensity.

There's a bit to this - rings home how particularly silly a lot of the fYfE iS thE pRobLeM/jAcKSOn is gEtTiNg 33402409 pEr MarK attempts at analysis from the local media were.

A lot of it comes back to the Brisbane game - a disappointing loss in some ways, but a lot of the positive change we've seen over the past month started there.

his complete and utter lack of defensive work when he was in the side this year was horrific.
I think Brodie's disposal also lets lets him down, however JOM isn't immune from that either, that kick across goals which lead to a Cats goal being a case in point but is generally more skilful around the ground.

Last edited:
Seems Graham just needs a generational and intelligent focal point to make the forwardline hum. There is a lot of that premiership Eagles side in how the forwardline is working at the moment. The collective IQ seems to have increased ten fold and everyone is playing a role and working for each other.

Notice how Stewart didn't take his usual 30 intercept marks coming over the top? That's because our forward line are actually working as a cohesive unit now and creating separation.

That's why I don't care if Treacy has games where he only gets a few touches. That's going to happen sometimes if he's putting the team first and creating space that others can move into.

It's better than the Tabs mentality of dragging your man right into the space your teammates are trying to use because you want to be involved in every contest. That just gives the opposition backs a chance to come over the top to help each other out.

Last edited:

JL has always said that it all starts by winning the contests.

Re the midfield, Corey was struggling early in the season. I reckon although as frustrated as *, JL left him to fix it for as long as he could then had to step in and give him some support.

Notice how Stewart didn't take his usual 30 intercept marks coming over the top? That's because our forward line are actually working as a cohesive unit now and creating separation.

That's why I don't care if Treacy has games where he only gets a few touches. That's going to happen sometimes if he's putting the team first and creating space that others can move into.

It's better than the Tabs mentality of dragging your man right into the space your teammates are trying to use and giving the opposition backs a chance to come over the top to help each other out.

I've always said the forward line will look better when you have better players in there. Smarter players, players that are forwards. Treacy and Amiss are those players and to a lesser extent, Jackson and they make a huge difference. We haven't had that sort of forward talent since the Harvey days. A lot of our forward line assistants were scape goats over that time on this board.

Can someone explain this to me:

If a player is getting tackled, they've had prior, but step over the boundary line at the last second - Is it still holding the ball? Or is it just throw the ball in?

Can someone explain this to me:

If a player is getting tackled, they've had prior, but step over the boundary line at the last second - Is it still holding the ball? Or is it just throw the ball in?
I think if they are judged htb and then step out they call it, but if they haven’t been held long enough to be htb and they step out they don’t. The frustration is htb is one of those subjective calls that can go either way a lot of the time, particularly in the situation you outlined.

Sharp isn't even getting a game for Gold Coast. A future 4th round pick is probably overs.

It's better than the Tabs mentality of dragging your man right into the space your teammates are trying to use and giving the opposition backs a chance to come over the top to help each other out.

Still seeing people pot Treacy and Banfield. I understand some frustration, I don’t rate the latter that highly but I’ve seen no reason to drop him on form shown this year. Treacy is a work in progress, we’re talking about a 20 year old KPF here. Many don’t hit their stride until 23-24.

But FFS, we put 100+ against one of the most consistently well organised defences of the past 15 years. Even if individuals aren’t posting amazing stats (and I’d say some of the very good things Banfield and Treacy did yesterday don’t get recorded on stats sheets), if our forward line as a unit is working, what do you want to change?

It’s reminds me how both Medhurst and Farmer were very good forwards but somehow the sum was less than the parts. And when we kept the former out of the team, Wizard had his best season for us, propelling us into the prelim. Ideally we should have found a way to work, and that was on the coach, but at the same time you don’t mess with what’s working.

I feel the same way about our forwardline now. It’s hard to make a case to take anyone out of it. The people who do have an axe to grind.

I couldn’t get there live this week but watching the replay Treacy seemed to have a significantly bigger impact than what his stats suggest.
He halved every marking contest and bought the ball to ground as well as a few taps and knock ons to players in space. Add to that a few very physical tackles and is great to see he’s still having an influence even if he didn’t get as much of the ball as last week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back