Opinion The Evolution of Your Best 22 for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a great backup at this stage, he is lesser version of Hombsch but is a great replacement if anything happens to one of our key defenders as that medium sized player. Foot skills are nothing special and can only really play one position. Needs to add another string to his bow in 2017 to maintain a consistent spot in our best 22.

You don't give 3 year deals to backup players. He'll be best 22 come round 1.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He looks to have trimmed down a little bit as well, based upon the photos from Pete. I actually think he bulked up too much and it affected him big time.

You don't give 3 year deals to backup players. He'll be best 22 come round 1.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope he fits in the best 22 somewhere but it's hard to fit Hombsch, Trengrove, Austin, Clurey, DBJ, Krakeour, Pittard, Broadbent, Bonnar and Jonas in the one team. Gotta leave a few out. It's a good problem to have. Out of the names mentioned Bonnar is still a little underdeveloped and right now have Jonas as the next weakest. That's 8 other defenders ahead of him on the pecking order by my calculations. Do you see it differently ?

I hope he fits in the best 22 somewhere but it's hard to fit Hombsch, Trengrove, Austin, Clurey, DBJ, Krakeour, Pittard, Broadbent, Bonnar and Jonas in the one team. Gotta leave a few out. It's a good problem to have. Out of the names mentioned Bonnar is still a little underdeveloped and right now have Jonas as the next weakest. That's 8 other defenders ahead of him on the pecking order by my calculations. Do you see it differently ?

The only youngster that debuted in 2016 that I'd be confident is a lock for round 1 is Austin. The pressure will be on for Clurey, DBJ, Bonner and Krak to all have great pre seasons. If we have minimal injuries, the competition for spots should get the best out of everyone.

Barring injury Jonas will 100% be picked for round 1.

Sadly I think this is true, like Lobbe I think he will be selected even if form isn't quite there or team balance is effected but in reality unless they're playing at top form or we have a few injuries if the squad is at full or decent fitness they should be back ups not quite best 22 for mine. They also shouldn't be in the leadership group for this reason but they probably will be.

Ryder is a better pure ruckman and Jacko is a far more useful pinch hitter to use in tandem, we'd be wasting his versatility playing all 3, that's been made pretty clear this year. Furthermore we have plenty of genuine small and medium flankers to play on small and medium forwards so we don't need a slow Jonas playing on more agile forwards. He is also undersized for key forwards so unless we need him to cover for an opponent who has a medium but not too quick leading forward like the Crows have Lynch, he needs to be in very good form to warrant selection.

Same for Young Vs Monfries or an Impey Vs Neade. Theyre too similar to each other so a combination of Young and Impey or Monfries and Neade is a better balance than both of either two.

Backs will be

Dbj Homsch Pittard

Jonas Trengove Broadbent

As said by many people in the past, Hombsch whilst capable at full back is best utilised as a second or third tall, intercept marking type. We also wouldn't be very tall when Jacko Rucks, would much prefer an Austin or Clurey to hold down full back. They don't have to be spectacular just get the job done with the rest of the defenses support, that would free up Hombsch to play his best role.

Last edited:
B: BJ Austin Hombsch
HB: Pittard Trengove Bonner
C: Wingard Boak Polec
HF: Hartlett Westhoff Young
FF: Monfries Dixon Impey

Fol: Ryder Gray Wines

Int: Ebert Powell-pepper Broadbent White

Jonas just misses. And I'm one of his biggest fan. Well there you go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think were gonna see a bit more of Ebert resting forward as a second leading forward played up there a bit more near the end of last season when dixon was struggling and looked handy nice leap good hands

This could pave the way for more wingard etc through the centre spp even

Alright, will give my best round 1 AFL team a crack:

B: DBJ, Austin, Hombsch
HB: Krakouer, Trengove, Pittard
C: SPP, Boak, Polec
HF: Hartlett, Westhoff, Impey
F: Wingard, Dixon, Monfries
R: Ryder, Wines Gray

Int: Ebert, Atley, White, Jonas

Emergency: Amon, Broadbent, Young

Close: Bonner and Clurey.

Last edited:

Jonas would be ahead of Clurey and isn't competing with DBJ, Krakouer, Pittard, Broadbent and Bonner for a spot. Also, Trengove is no certainty to be a regular KPD in 2017.

Whilst Austin has a huge future, based on last seasons form Clurey is ahead of him. At times he was a weak link for us back there and offers far less in terms of intercept and rebound than Clurey. Austin will have a long, long career with us, and I'm a huge wrap for him, but he is certainly not a lock yet, and if Trengove is playing defence he will take the 195+ forwards leaving Hombsch and Clurey/Jonas as first choice IMO for the other kpd spots.

The other thing is we surely wont go back to the 4 tall backline of early 2016 and 2015. We discovered in the latter half of 2016 that our small defensive group was a serious strength of ours and we need to continue to exploit that with a great core of smalls with Pittard, Broady, Krak, DBJ, HH, Impey.

I've tried to have a good think about this, and address it in the best balance of best 22 v developing youth. I think the following players should be given the max games they can play provided the effort is there:
  • Impey
  • Young
  • Bonner
  • Austin
  • Byrne-Jones
  • Polec
In addition to this, the locks for best 22 are the following:
  • Wingard
  • Dixon
  • Westhoff
  • Wines
  • Ebert
  • Ryder
  • Boak
  • Gray
  • Trengove
  • Pittard
  • Hombsch
That gives 17 players which looks like this.

upload_2016-11-27_20-40-30.png

Which makes the following decisions very interesting in my mind:
1. Monfries v White v Palmer for half-forward
2. Jonas v Clurey for that third tall defender who can play small

1. In my mind I would pick Mathew White as he provides much more pace and midfield scope than either Monfries or Palmer.
2. I would choose Clurey for that third tall defender role, as my expectation would be to generate offence and I believe Clurey is better suited to that through his running and disposal.

This leaves 3 bench spots between the following players:
  • S Gray - Inside/Outside mid
  • Hartlett - Flanker/Midfielder
  • Broadbent - Flanker/Midfielder
  • Monfries - Medium Forward
  • Palmer - Medium Forward
  • Jonas - Tall/Small defender
  • Powell-Pepper - Inside/Outside mid/Forward Flanker
  • Atley - Inside Mid
  • Ah Chee - Forward Flanker/Inside Midfielder
  • Amon - Small Forward/Winger
  • Toumpas - Outside Midfielder
  • Krakouer - Small defender/Small forward
  • Neade - Small Forward
  • Snelling - Inside Mid/Small Forward

Out of this list of 14 I would immediately pick Broadbent and Hartlett, mostly due to their versatility, given they are able to play on a back flank, in a centre stoppage, and hanging around the half-forward flanks. The last pick goes to Powell-Pepper, he is able to play on a forward flank which is most likely where he will play while improving his tank to play full time midfield.

As a result the following players can be thrown in a centre stoppage.
  • Impey
  • Young
  • Polec
  • Wingard
  • Wines
  • Ebert
  • Boak
  • R Gray
  • Broadbent
  • Hartlett
  • Powell-Pepper
I would love to find a way to squeeze Atley in but I am loathe to exclude anyone from the best 22.

TL; DR

upload_2016-11-27_21-12-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-27_20-37-39.png
    upload_2016-11-27_20-37-39.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 100
I've tried to have a good think about this, and address it in the best balance of best 22 v developing youth. I think the following players should be given the max games they can play provided the effort is there:
  • Impey
  • Young
  • Bonner
  • Austin
  • Byrne-Jones
  • Polec
In addition to this, the locks for best 22 are the following:
  • Wingard
  • Dixon
  • Westhoff
  • Wines
  • Ebert
  • Ryder
  • Boak
  • Gray
  • Trengove
  • Pittard
  • Hombsch
That gives 17 players which looks like this.

View attachment 313944

Which makes the following decisions very interesting in my mind:
1. Monfries v White v Palmer for half-forward
2. Jonas v Clurey for that third tall defender who can play small

1. In my mind I would pick Mathew White as he provides much more pace and midfield scope than either Monfries or Palmer.
2. I would choose Clurey for that third tall defender role, as my expectation would be to generate offence and I believe Clurey is better suited to that through his running and disposal.

This leaves 3 bench spots between the following players:
  • S Gray - Inside/Outside mid
  • Hartlett - Flanker/Midfielder
  • Broadbent - Flanker/Midfielder
  • Monfries - Medium Forward
  • Palmer - Medium Forward
  • Jonas - Tall/Small defender
  • Powell-Pepper - Inside/Outside mid/Forward Flanker
  • Atley - Inside Mid
  • Ah Chee - Forward Flanker/Inside Midfielder
  • Amon - Small Forward/Winger
  • Toumpas - Outside Midfielder
  • Krakouer - Small defender/Small forward
  • Neade - Small Forward
  • Snelling - Inside Mid/Small Forward

Out of this list of 14 I would immediately pick Broadbent and Hartlett, mostly due to their versatility, given they are able to play on a back flank, in a centre stoppage, and hanging around the half-forward flanks. The last pick goes to Powell-Pepper, he is able to play on a forward flank which is most likely where he will play while improving his tank to play full time midfield.

As a result the following players can be thrown in a centre stoppage.
  • Impey
  • Young
  • Polec
  • Wingard
  • Wines
  • Ebert
  • Boak
  • R Gray
  • Broadbent
  • Hartlett
  • Powell-Pepper
I would love to find a way to squeeze Atley in but I am loathe to exclude anyone from the best 22.

TL; DR

View attachment 313953

Nice work!

Jonas would be ahead of Clurey and isn't competing with DBJ, Krakouer, Pittard, Broadbent and Bonner for a spot. Also, Trengove is no certainty to be a regular KPD in 2017.
Given the form of Jonas over the last 2 years he is no certainty at all...in fact I would much sooner go with Clurey..taller, better kick, can play on talls and mediums, more disciplined and simply deserves to be ahead of Jonas.

Here's a novel idea. Why don't we stop trying to pigeon hole certain back up players who were only ever playing in the side due to injuries and suspensions and go back to the successful side of 2014, replacing the players that are missing with the best available talent for that position?

From the side that lost to Hawthorn in the prelim final:

B: Jackson Trengove, Alipate Carlile, Tom Jonas
HB: Matthew Broadbent, Jack Hombsch, Jasper Pittard
C: Matthew White, Oliver Wines, Hamish Hartlett
HF: Robbie Gray, Justin Westhoff, Angus Monfries
F: Jake Neade, Jay Schulz, Chad Wingard

FOL: Matthew Lobbe, Travis Boak, Kane Cornes

I/C: Brad Ebert, Cam O'Shea, Jared Polec, Andrew Moore

Carlile, Schulz, O'Shea, Moore and Cornes are gone. Replace Carlile with Austin, Schulz with Dixon, Neade with Impey, Lobbe with Ryder, O'Shea with Clurey, Moore with Powell-Pepper and Cornes with Atley. Then do a bit of shuffling.

B: Jack Hombsch, Logan Austin, Tom Jonas
HB: Matthew Broadbent, Jackson Trengove, Jasper Pittard
C: Matthew White, Oliver Wines, Hamish Hartlett
HF: Robbie Gray, Justin Westhoff, Angus Monfries
F: Jarman Impey, Charlie Dixon, Chad Wingard

FOL: Patrick Ryder, Travis Boak, Joseph Atley/Willem Drew

I/C: Brad Ebert, Tom Clurey, Jared Polec, Sam Powell-Pepper

If you want a team that can actually win a flag next year, that's what I'd go with. I'd rather Atley being in the 22 than someone like Young purely because Atley gives us a better version of Kane Cornes who can distribute the ball to open team mates while providing the blocks and shepherds required from a big bodied midfielder. Young can work on his defensive game and fight it out with Gus for that half forward spot. Ditto Byrne-Jones with Broadbent/Pittard. If they want the spot, it's theirs, but I'm not going to just give it to them 'because they are young'.

Gray and Boak I'd be swapping when tired to give both maximum time on field. When Wingard goes into the midfield, drop Monfries into the forward pocket and put Powell-Pepper at half-forward to give the side a different look - opposition players will second guess themselves if he's around. If Ryder goes up forward to rest and Trengove rucks, swap Clurey with Westhoff and go for an ultra attack mode.

I call this side Voltron. Why? Because it's ******* bad ass.

Im looking at my best 22 and then looking at the talent that misses out. The Maggies should absolutely flog sides next year.

Really hope we get to see more of Aidyn Johnson next year...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back