Analysis 2016 List Management Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had a young list in rebuild Weitering would be my first picked and as a defender. All great sides have great defences. He is mature beyond his years, reads the ball coming in as well as anyone and when he gets it he is probably the best kick in the side. Not only will he stop goals but he will create a lot with his ball use from defence. From there he is still an attacking weapon. At times he can go forward to mix things up but he will go down as one of the best key defenders in Carltons history.

If I had a young list in rebuild Weitering would be my first picked and as a defender. All great sides have great defences. He is mature beyond his years, reads the ball coming in as well as anyone and when he gets it he is probably the best kick in the side. Not only will he stop goals but he will create a lot with his ball use from defence. From there he is still an attacking weapon. At times he can go forward to mix things up but he will go down as one of the best key defenders in Carltons history.

Even at this very early stage, if he gets a good run with injuries then he could be as good as SOS!!! SOS was sent forward on occasions and kicked bags!

Safe to say the 2017 culls look like this at the moment:

Will be shopped: Kreuzer, Thomas, Wright, Buckley, Armfield

Gone: Jones, Jaksch, White, Graham, Lamb, Casboult

Maybe: Gorringe, Phillips, JGM, Rowe, Simpson, Gallucci

EDIT: left out some names last night

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be shopped: Kreuzer, Thomas, Wright, Buckley

Maybe: Gorringe, Phillips, JGM, Rowe
I mostly agree, but can't see us off loading our only two rucks. In fact, I can absolutely see Kruez and Phillips being retained. I also think JGM will be retained as will Wright. Rowe will be dependent on how the young KPDs develop and his own form.

Still leaves 9 on your list, possibly 10.

I mostly agree, but can't see us off loading our only two rucks. In fact, I can absolutely see Kruez and Phillips being retained. I also think JGM will be retained as will Wright. Rowe will be dependent on how the young KPDs develop and his own form.

Still leaves 9 on your list, possibly 10.
I reckon we'll keep one of Kreuzer and Phillips, one of Casboult and Gorringe, then make a call on Korcheck.

If we're happy with where Korcheck's at, we'll focus our attention on drafting a ruck, otherwise we'll focus on improving our senior group.

EDIT: ugh I was tireder than I realised last night

Last edited:

I'd say Thomas is Gone.
Boekhorst Shopped and if no takers, Gone.
Phillips safe.
Think FAs like Kreuzer go shopping on their own.

SOS would have been full forward of the century if defending didn't get in the way of his goal scoring

I think SOS played key forward in teal cup with Gary Lyon. Not sure where Billy Brownless played with them back then.
We were incredibly lucky SOS could adapt and learn to be a truly champion key defender.
I think David Kernahan was tried at full back a bit. SOS was just the best as the 90's went on to match the Lockett's, Ablett's, Dunstall, Loewe's and Carey's etc. What an era of key forwards. Actually feel sorry people below 30 missed what we saw. Lloyd and Fevola the closest to anything like those guys in last 20 years. Love to see Hogan, Cameron and others kick a bag of 8 to 12 every now and again but tough gig with all the flooding that goes on.

I can understand why the thought of sending JW forward makes people nervous. No doubt JW at CHB will continue be a star of the game so why mess with that? But he is also the most talented tall on our list and I think you need to play your best talent where it will challenge the opposition the most. CHF is a tough position but I think he has the talent to become Kernahan or Walls-like.
Also as mentioned above I think with the tall KPD talent we now have, one of them needs to be moved forward if only to fast track development of the others down back.
If Harry McKay comes on well enough to claim CHF back from JW, then what a nice problem to have (but I think that is still some way down the track). Hopefully Ben Silvagni will add to the dilemma after 2018.
Finally in regard to possibility of JW becoming disgruntled, I think players get discouraged when they are thrown around alot and don't clearly understand their role in the team. I can't see this happening under a communicator like Bolton.

By that list, we have at least the next two years before we are in a position in which working out who needs to be delisted will be a tough task. Then there's the likes of Palmer who are probably not in it for the long hall and a draftee or two that doesn't make it. This year's draft shows that there is optimism even in who you can get with latish picks with some drafts. I'd take a fourth rounder for some of those names.

I would bet good money this year is Army's swan song

Certainly...i doubt he'll get much game time this year tbh.

He can transition into some sort of womens coaching role, maybe development coach for the AFL team.

Realistically, if we are to get to where we want to go Army shouldn't be in the team in 2018 and even next year...

We'd hope guys like SPS, Fisher, Sumner, Pickett, Boek etc would push up and keep him out.

I'd say Thomas is Gone.
Boekhorst Shopped and if no takers, Gone.
Phillips safe.
Think FAs like Kreuzer go shopping on their own.

Armfield and Gallucci far from certainties as well.
Yup very true, I had them in the list of name's I was playing around with, and then somehow forgot to write them down here! :p

Boekhorst and Armfield in the 'shopped' pile, with Simpson in the maybe pile. I'm comfortable with where I've placed Thomas, as he still holds value at a lower salary.

Interesting read, not too far off my view things so here it is, 'warts & all' and as expected always controversial too :

SACKED
Buckley (on a one year contract)
Casboult (on a one year contract)
(R) Galluci (second-time around on the rookie list)
Graham (on a one year contract)
Jaksch (contract runs out)
Jones (contract runs out)
Lamb (contract runs out)
Rowe (contract runs out)
(R) Sheehan (gazillionth time around on the rookie list)
Thomas (contract runs out)
White (contract runs out)

CRACKED
Armfield (might be kept longer in a mentoring role)
Boekhorst (time to piss or get off the pot)
Gibbs (could he be traded this time ??)
(R) Glass-McCasker (kick on son, we need you to make it)
Gorringe (he's been around the AFL long enough, delivery time is now)
(R) LeBois (hopefully he can give us something)
(R) Korchek (will be a great story if he succeeds)
Kreuzer (could he be traded ??)
Marchbank (no free rides, has to prove himself at Carlton)
Palmer (no free rides, has to prove himself at Carlton)
Pickett (no free rides, has to prove himself at Carlton)
(R) A. Silvagni (clearly a short-term option only)
Smedts (no free rides, has to prove himself at Carlton)

BACKED
Byrne (upgrade from rookie list)
C.Curnow
Cripps
Cuningham
Docherty
E. Curnow
Fisher
Kerr
Kerridge (may be a short-term option)
MacCreadie
McKay
Murphy
Petrevski-Seton
Phillips
Plowman
Polson
Silvagni
Simpson (may only be short-term due to retirement)
Sumner
Weitering
Williamson
Wright (short-term)

With 11 names on the Sacked List, there is still scope for another massive turnover of players at the end of 2017. At this stage, it's hard to mount a case for any of them being retained, however, it's not out of the question for 1 or 2 of the younger guys to develop further and escape the scrutiny.

13 players in the Cracked section, if 6 of them can graduate to the Backed List, that will mean we will have 28 players in for the possible long-haul. Naturally, there will be some older players who slide down the rankings, it happens to them all eventually.

All new draftees are fully assessed after two seasons and only then are they possibly moved off the Backed List.

Whilst our overall list is getting better each year, there is still a lot of work to be done before we are a genuine Top 4 aspirant.

Everyone needs to fully grasp this part :

The other important thing that a lot of people may be overlooking is that whilst the club has entered a 66-game "reset", it actually means we will work within four (4) trade & draft periods to get our list right, not three (3).

We are only halfway there at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back