3rd Man Up Banned

3rd man up banned good or bad?

• Good

• Bad

• Jack Watts

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't care about the 3rd man being blocked, long as it's not high or holding.

I mean the way the rules currently are is that you aren't allowed to obstruct the third man in.

i don't mind it but it cant come in this season, considering it affects strategy and list make up.

Should be at least 2 years warning.

I know, I'd rather they allow shepherding but not ban 3rd man outright.
I'm not in favour of removing 3rd man either but wouldn't that open a can of worms with policing non 3rd man shepherding and blocking which should be a free kick? Grey area to adjudicate when it's the intention to go 3rd man or merely running into space.

I'm not in favour of removing 3rd man either but wouldn't that open a can of worms with policing non 3rd man shepherding and blocking which should be a free kick? Grey area to adjudicate when it's the intention to go 3rd man or merely running into space.

I'm happy with any/ all shepherding and blocking unless you hit high/low or scrag with the hands. Body positioning, irrespective of where the ball is, should be OK.

I'm happy with any/ all shepherding and blocking unless you hit high/low or scrag with the hands. Body positioning, irrespective of where the ball is, should be OK.

Yep, my thoughts as well

I agree, protect ball players not scraggers who tag. They won't change it though.

What a joke. So you can't take steps to negate a clear advantage an opposition has?

Next thing we'll be saying that you can't have a loose man in defence standing in front of the opposition full forward. It's just not fair to do that.

And definitely no helping out a teammate who is slower than his direct opponent. They have an advantage, you aren't allowed to use tactics to negate it. Just accept it.

FFS.

Imagine if you could come in at the side of a scrum in rugby

Or when it was just you and the keeper in a penalty kick a defender could run in as the whistle goes to charge you down

Just some comparisons :D
Not really, they aren't intended to be neutral events, both are frees to benefit one team (either feeding the scrum or taking a penalty).

Only comparison I can come up with is the opening tip off in basketball. And that's not a good one either.

Non ruckmen hits out per game 2016

Wines 3.1
Blakely 3.0
Lewis 2.5
Bont 2.5
Gibbs 2.3
Goddard 2.2
Ward 2.0
Mundy 1.8
Griffen 1.8
Cripps 1.7
Towers 1.6
Sloane 1.5
Ross 1.5
Jong 1.5
Parker 1.4
Grigg 1.3
Crisp 1.2
Caddy 1.1
Dunkley 1.1
Hanley 1.0
S.Hill 0.9
Robinson 0.9
Rosa 0.9
Acres 0.9
Hodge 0.9
Yeo 0.8
I.Smith 0.7
Ebert 0.7
Ziebell 0.5
No N.roo on this list? , I thought he would be high, was a key part of his game playing on the wing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think its a good change and anything that makes the umpiring around ruck contests more simple and consistent is probably a good thing.

That said the method of implementing where they just randomly decide its a good idea and throw in the new rule for next year is just not right. There should be review processes and notice given ahead of implementation to allow teams to structure and educate their teams well ahead of it being put into the main league.

Plus we are all sick of rule change on rule change each year.

Geelong tantrums not too surprising, does this mean they have to trade back into the first round AND trade for a ready made top end ruck in a years time? That's going to cost...

Love the rule change btw even though it puts more pressure on the Tigers underperforming ruck division.

What a joke. So you can't take steps to negate a clear advantage an opposition has?

Next thing we'll be saying that you can't have a loose man in defence standing in front of the opposition full forward. It's just not fair to do that.

And definitely no helping out a teammate who is slower than his direct opponent. They have an advantage, you aren't allowed to use tactics to negate it. Just accept it.

FFS.

The best tactic is to draft and develop a big bull ruck yourself, which is the reason the AFL have banned the third man.

Without it the game was trending towards a big bodied mid manning up the opposition ruck around the ground and holding them down while the leaping third came over the top and put a knee in for good measure.

Why would you bother drafting a ruckman in that environment? If you are a 200cm+ athlete, why would you choose AFL?

That is the root of it.

No N.roo on this list? , I thought he would be high, was a key part of his game playing on the wing

I think wherever those stats are from has filtered it to only show what the types considered pure mids or non-key positions types. That would be the only thing explaining how Blicavs and Nick Reiwoldt not listed there.

Banning 3rd man up was an absolute necessity and I am glad they have finally done it.

It basically negated having a great ruckman around the ground - all you needed was a shitty ruck to just wrestle him, and your 3rd man to just come through - and teams are powerless to stop the 3rd man because you give away the free for impeding.

Just let the rucks ruck, and let the umpire just have to worry about those 2 guys and what they are doing going for the ball.

2 Geelong supporters are whiney bitches

'Uugghhh just cause your team can't do it'

Literally the easiest thing to do.. get your ruck to wrestle the other bloke then get someone to jump at a free footy

The ruck battle between Gawn and Goldy this year was one of the best individual battles all season
Gawn was winning the hit outs and giving us clearance dominance which was giving us scoring opportunities
Then Goldy went forward to exploit his fitness and ended up with 5 which was possibly the difference in the game

I don't want to lose that aspect of footy so some athlete from steeplechase can jump unopposed in a ruck contests

So you've never played ruck at any sort decent level then, try it mate.

even though it hurts the dogs, I agree with the this rule change, just not with the timing. What are they thinking changing a rule like this after the trade/draft period??!

So they've banned one of the least effective tactics in footy.

Disagree. go watch stringer's goal in the Grand Final. It may have been the difference in the end.

Back