List four players who need to step up in 2017 for the Eagles to make top four.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are a lot of people letting Jetta off the hook because you guys just dont rate him even at his best? because surely no body thinks his 2016 was acceptable.

Redden- Because of his pathetic season, shuey found him self doing more heavy lifting that he should have. As a pure inside player not only does he have to lessen the burden on priddis but also has to support and strenthen our midfield.
sheed- Like Redden he had an injury interrupted year but at his best he made our midfield looked good and has to become the type of player that can get 25-30 disposals on a regular basis. Only way we can cover the loss of NN is having many midfielder winning a lot of the ball and dominating the clerances.
Darling- Had a pretty decent season last year but its time he goes from a good player to great one. Its also time he plays like tarzan as well and reduces the pressure JK has at times.
Duggan-Poor first season from the dugite but the kid is class and its time we have some class as a midfield rotation. Can see him playing under the shadows of mitch, gaff, prid and boot and really impacting our side.
Bit harsh bringing his 2015 into this.. i thought Duggans first season was better than his second.:drunk:

Are a lot of people letting Jetta off the hook because you guys just dont rate him even at his best? because surely no body thinks his 2016 was acceptable.
Wasn't a required player for Sydney who are a consistent top 4 team.
Last year he just proved to a different club that he isn't a required player. Not worth mentioning I guess.

Yeo - Doesn't need much explaining. Has X-factor but doesn't do enough at this stage. Prone to brain fades.
Duggan - Shown he has talent but needs to do what Sheed did in 2015 and step up to the next level.
Giles - Competent ruckman but he will be relied on heavily at the start of the year.
Lecras - No doubt he will be given games. Needs to up his work rate and start performing away from home against decent opposition.

He's in my list for sure because his best can win you games of football.

What I did notice was Jetta ran past players looking for a handball but was ignored.......which is dead set crazy IMO with his speed, agility and kicking.

This is what simply amazes me with Simpson as a coach and our team. Jetta is a dead set easy fix. Every now and again you get Jetta to take the kick out from a behind and get him running past players with the ball and we are coached to use him. Early in the season is was obvious Simpson instructed us to clear defense with long kicks from Hurn and McGovern, not with run and carry. What was strange about that was in 2015 our short agile back half worked really well with running the ball out of defense.

Jetta is a link player and resting forward the one over the top with Pagans Paddock ahead of him. But in 2016 we didn't use him as a link player and the early game plan was kick it not handball it out of defense.

Doesn't mean players should ignore him when he's there to be used. Yeo was shocking for it.
I think chemistry is important as well and being in and out of the side doesn't help. It did improve late in the year. It wouldn't have as evident if he was the type of wingmen that could win his own ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we can do without a player that needs to be spoon fed the ball personally.

Its not being spoon fed when you run to position to provide a quality handball option and ignored. If players don't get used because players think kicking long is the better option and that isn't effective then the coaches need to address that.

Its not like Jetta is a marking KP forward.

Its not being spoon fed when you run to position to provide a quality handball option and ignored. If players don't get used because players think kicking long is the better option and that isn't effective then the coaches need to address that.

Its not like Jetta is a marking KP forward.

He had more 15 or more disposals in just 5 games this year, with none higher than 17. He doesn't tackle or kick many goals. You can't just explain away his lack of impact by saying "his teammates just don't pass it to him". Jetta's poor contested game is a driving factor in his lack of impact.

He's adequate depth but if you're expecting him to improve at this point I reckon you'll be disappointed.

He had more 15 or more disposals in just 5 games this year, with none higher than 17. He doesn't tackle or kick many goals. You can't just explain away his lack of impact by saying "his teammates just don't pass it to him". Jetta's poor contested game is a driving factor in his lack of impact.

He's adequate depth but if you're expecting him to improve at this point I reckon you'll be disappointed.
I was hoping he become a quick little crumbing forward, but we now have Rioli :D

I think Simpson could have used him more creatively, he didn't seem to throw him deep forward or anything.

I love Simmo but I think he had a poor 2016, starting with bringing Mackenzie back in and screwing our 2015 structures.

Team should be playing to it's strengths, using Jetta's footskills is surely a priority.

Spoon fed or not, it's still better than Yeo blasting the pill into outer space. I agree with Thorne, Simpson extracted very little out of a clearly talented Jetta and i don't think his coaching and decision making was all that crash hot for the most part of 2016.

Just thinking about it....Another player who hasn't been mentioned that could make a huge difference is Shannon Hurn.
I'd love for him to have a career best season, find a bit more of the pill, especially in more attacking positions.

If we had both him and Jetta delivering a fair whack of the ball into forward 50, JK would be a chance at 100 goals.

He has such a lethal weapon, I'd love it utilised a bit more.

Team should be playing to it's strengths, using Jetta's footskills is surely a priority.

Spoon fed or not, it's still better than Yeo blasting the pill into outer space. I agree with Thorne, Simpson extracted very little out of a clearly talented Jetta and i don't think his coaching and decision making was all that crash hot for the most part of 2016.
Having gaff and jetta roaming the wings should make us tough to match up on.if jetta is used like gaff linking up on a wing or bringing it out of defense no one could catch him.I guess he just has to keep presenting and that the game plan has him in it..

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Just thinking about it....Another player who hasn't been mentioned that could make a huge difference is Shannon Hurn.
I'd love for him to have a career best season, find a bit more of the pill, especially in more attacking positions.

If we had both him and Jetta delivering a fair whack of the ball into forward 50, JK would be a chance at 100 goals.

Agreed. id argue since the captaincy he has even regressed a fraction.

That's one reason I'd like Jetta kicking out from behinds every now and again. Usually its Hurn or sometimes McGovern as they are both very good long kicks. But if Jetta kicks out with either a short option or longer after doing a Heath Shaw with that little kick and running 5m, then Jetta continues to run past for a handball receive we can position Hurn or McGovern further up the ground around the wing as the next designated 'go to target' coming out of defence. Then from the wing they can punch a 60m bullet into our forward 50 either to a lead or into space for Cripps / Rioli to run onto.

We just need to mix things up and become less predictable IMO. Jetta could be the key here as his evasion and kicking skills would really challenge the oppositions defencive set ups. He would get the opposition forward / midfield defencive structure looking both ways wondering will they go short and run it or will they go long with a big kick. Hurn and McGovern bringing it out from deep in defense is a tad predictable. That why our 2015 defence did so well, we weren't predictable, we were more agile and skillful running the ball out from defense.

Hopefully with a weaker ruck division this will have Simpson looking at option like these. We need to use our strengths to cover our weaknesses.

Wellingham. In 2015 he was one of our most damaging players out of defence. We won games from his rebound and missed that in 2016.

Jetta. Could use some X Factor in the team and he is one player that has the potential to deliver.

Vardy. Out of all our backup options he is the one I think could have a real impact on the team both short term and long if he can stay fit and and get some games and confidence back.

Small forward/ HFF. One of Rioli or Karpany to have a break out year. Small crumming forward who can get involved in the midfield or wing is what we desperately need.

Honourable mentions to EMac , Lecras and Redden.

Top 4 if this all happens with a real shot at another flag.

I love Simmo but I think he had a poor 2016, starting with bringing Mackenzie back in and screwing our 2015 structures.

No one could have known Mackenzie coming back in would have been a mistake. Given he won the 2014 B&F, you'd be mad not to try and include him back into the side. Simmo gave him a chance to settle in and then dropped him when the experiment failed (he only played two games after round 11). I would hope we similarly give Naitanui a chance to settle back into the side when he comes back from his ACL. I'm alright with Simmo's treatment of Mackenzie personally.

No one could have known Mackenzie coming back in would have been a mistake. Given he won the 2014 B&F, you'd be mad not to try and include him back into the side. Simmo gave him a chance to settle in and then dropped him when the experiment failed (he only played two games after round 11). I would hope we similarly give Naitanui a chance to settle back into the side when he comes back from his ACL. I'm alright with Simmo's treatment of Mackenzie personally.
I'll look like a hindsight hero but I feared going into the season that the obvious move of bringing him straight back in was a bad call. And gee, he's the coach, he gets paid to be able to notice these things. We played heaps better with a shorter backline. At least it got better when we replaced him with Barrass.

Bringing Naitanui back is completely different. When Mackenzie went out we were forced to experiment and we created a system that took us to a GF. That won't happen with Giles and Vardy.

Maybe with Petters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back