Preview Pick your team for R1, 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I see him different to Tex in that his biggest asset to us is making contests aerially in big packs . He will start holding some mark of year contenders at some stage too

If Jenkins was better at this then I'd say yep move him up ground , but I like his ability to cause a spillage deep in attack especially if they have a plus 1 due to us having an extra defender at other end
Don't think we need three key forwards.

Ideally one of Tex or Jenkins would have McGovern's hands.

I think McGovern is smart enough to be a threat up forward whilst also being a vital cog down the ground

As Eddie Betts is

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

I think he is too similar to Tex as a key forward and it makes us have one too many forwards

He may not be a true midfielder, but he could be a mobile bigman in the Nick/Jack Riewoldt, Pavlich, Goodes, or even Chad Cornes mould.

I personally think for us to take the next step it will be on the back of either Lynch or McGovern dominating in this role.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk
Yes - but tex and lynch best football are as high forwards . You're never going to play 3 tall high forwards

So the best mix is to push Gov deeper mostly while creating versality at times by letting him come up ground and Tex deeper ( which doesn't happen enough )

I also was open to including Tommy Lynch in a trade for Gibbs due to this reason you suggest as too many taller forwards in our set up

What I would like to see,... Give Seedsman, CEY, Knight and Hampton their chance...
(won't happen because no doubt we will persist with Mackay, Thompson, Atkins and Douglas)

Atkins probably stiff to miss out,. and he did play 24 games last season,. but funnily enough I still prefer others ahead of him.

Round 1 squad:

FB: Brown / Hartigan / Lever
HB: Laird / Talia / Smith
C: Cameron / B.Crouch / Seedsman
HF Lynch / Walker / Milera
FF: Betts / Jenkins / McGovern
Foll: Jacobs / Sloane / M.Crouch
I/C: Knight / Cheney / Hampton / Ellis-Yolmen

What I would like to see,... Give Seedsman, CEY, Knight and Hampton their chance...
(won't happen because no doubt we will persist with Mackay, Thompson, Atkins and Douglas)

Atkins probably stiff to miss out,. and he did play 24 games last season,. but funnily enough I still prefer others ahead of him.

Round 1 squad:

Atkins on the upward trajectory - get on board !!

Stripping fitter and stronger again this year and breakout season last year . Will be key player

Keen to see how Menzel, Hampton, Knight, Milera, Doedee, Seedsman, Wigg, Galluci and Poholke go over the preseason as I'm sure all will get game time.

Plenty of high grade talent coming through which is exciting.

Plenty of talent, the high grade is very presumptious, as you said very keen to see, so am I, so a judgement can be made if they are high grade, Milera and Atkins have showed enough at the top level for the AFC to show they could be, the rest need to prove themselves

Round 1 squad:

Atkins is a player that I want around the ball more. I think he's wasted as an outside wingman, I like him in and around the stoppage. He could be our Sam Mitchell but using his slimy evasive skills to deliver cleanly off his left instead of Sam's ability to hit targets off either leg whilst stationary.

Round 1 squad:

The fact you have CEY ahead of Atkins means I am unlikely to listen to your views on football again.

Atkins is a player that I want around the ball more. I think he's wasted as an outside wingman, I like him in and around the stoppage. He could be our Sam Mitchell but using his slimy evasive skills to deliver cleanly off his left instead of Sam's ability to hit targets off either leg whilst stationary.
Should get more inside rotations this year with no Thommo & Lyons.

Really hope we play plenty of dangerous outside players in addition to Smith & Cameron (hopefully more on a wing) with Seedsman, Hampton & Milera. Ie. Too many to shut down.

Whilst we are likely to be weaker on the inside v top tier teams, if we can offset that with damaging players on the outside, reckon we will go ok.

McGovern could end up our most dangerous forward - I wouldn't be moving him I'd be banking him up forward

Provides an aerial contest that our key forwards don't even provide

I disagree. We are absolutely wasting McGovern leaving him as a permanent forward. Too small against the main KPD's, and an absolute waste to leave him as a 3rd/4th tall.

For him to really kick in, and really for us to take the next step, he has to add wing/midfield minutes and become an Embley type player.

One thing is not like the other. Atkins i would stick with, has points of difference to our side that the other 3 don't, as well as being a lot younger.

He has another season for me to really nail in that spot.

Hi, started following this board during trade period and thought I should join up.
For my first post I thought I might put up a r1 team and some thoughts.

Brown Hartigan lever
Smith Talia laird
CC Sloane Seedsman
knight Walker lynch
Betts Jenkins Gov

Sauce MCrouch Bcrouch

Milera Menzal Cheney Hampton

Next up:
Doedeee
Douglas
Atkins

Comments:
Doedee to replace Cheney (maybe Brown) sometime during season for a few games - look 2018 for break out. He will need to build experience and consistency before forcing someone like Cheney out.

Atkins: couldn't quite fit him in - I think he will be a very good player but I rate Knight (and others) more. Also feel for next year Seedsman will offer more on the wing and half back (his kick is very useful in taking apart opposition zones)

Douglas: I didn't put him in as I wanted to highlight a few favourites of mine. I believe if he can find his best form that it could go along way to fixing our midfield issues. IMO he will still play 22 games next season.

Hampton: if he can be tough at the ball and not suffer his gws brain fades his size and speed through the midfield could be invaluable. Also can go across half back and be a back up lock down defender.

Menzal: he can really bring something to our forward line, putting aside fitness I thought we should have bitten the bullet and played him sometime last year. IMO the sort of player who will rise to the level around him and the SANFL will never be the place to showcase his talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi, started following this board during trade period and thought I should join up.

Brown Hartigan lever
Smith Talia laird
CC Sloane Seedsman
knight Walker lynch
Betts Jenkins Gov

Sauce MCrouch Bcrouch

Next up:
Doedeee
Douglas
Atkins

Comments:
Doedee to replace Cheney (maybe Brown) sometime during season for a few games - look 2018 for break out. He will need to build experience and consistency before forcing someone like Cheney out.

Atkins: couldn't quite fit him in - I think he will be a very good player but I rate Knight (and others) more. Also feel for next year Seedsman will offer more on the wing and half back (his kick is very useful in taking apart opposition zones)

Douglas: I didn't put him in as I wanted to highlight a few favourites of mine. I believe if he can find his best form that it could go along way to fixing our midfield issues. IMO he will still play 22 games next season.

Hampton: if he can be tough at the ball and not suffer his gws brain fades his size and speed through the midfield could be invaluable. Also can go across half back and be a back up lock down defender.

Menzal: he can really bring something to our forward line, putting aside fitness I thought we should have bitten the bullet and played him sometime last year. IMO the sort of player who will rise to the level around him and the SANFL will never be the place to showcase his talent.

If thats the twenty two those three you named as next ups, will probably end up playing 15 to 20 games as there is no hope in hell that 22 will stay fit, we will use an average 31 or 32 players used but 25 or 26 players will easily get over 12 games each obviloulsy with some playing all the games

If thats the twenty two those three you named as next ups, will probably end up playing 15 to 20 games as there is no hope in hell that 22 will stay fit, we will use an average 31 or 32 players used but 25 or 26 players will easily get over 12 games each obviloulsy with some playing all the games
Very true - but when doing a best 22 you have to choose 22. So I'm not sure of your point?
Yes I expect those I described as next up will play a lot of games (and they deserve to). In the case of Douglas and Atkins I expect they will play 22 or as near as makes no difference.

At 194cm Otten is back up KPD behind Talia, Lever or Hartigan, and in front of Keath, Himmelberg.
I wouldn't underate Keath - he came out and played some very good sanfl games after little pre-season (and a long time out the game). Otten is on the decline whilst we should get improvement in leaps and bounds from Keath.
I will admit that the club may wish to give him some extra time to develop though.

apparently Otten has been impressing on the track and they think he's back close to his best which will make it interesting

Can't really see a role for him unless Lever or Hartigan go down though
Why don't we make him a midfielder, we can never have enough of those and everyone else is playing there too

Brown Hartigan lever
Smith Talia laird
CC Sloane Seedsman
knight Walker lynch
Betts Jenkins Gov

Sauce MCrouch Bcrouch

Next up:
Doedeee
Douglas
Atkins

Comments:

Atkins is tracking beautifully for a young developing player and is a lock barring injury - take it to the bank

Douglas rightly or wrongly is also a lock , take that to the bank also

Otherwise I think you're on the money mostly

Seedsman having interrupted pre season with injury so I think he works his way on rather than starts

Never played KPD and never will .....he's trimmed down and will play the Cheney role .....that you can take to the bank!!
Otten runs on a treadmill
Cheney is quick
Hartigan is quick and big
Talia, well theres ho way he replaces him
lever see talia

1 on 1 hes good but the cheney spot seems most likely but don't see him being quick enough.
He would replace a talia or hartigan if injured i reckon

I disagree. We are absolutely wasting McGovern leaving him as a permanent forward. Too small against the main KPD's, and an absolute waste to leave him as a 3rd/4th tall.

For him to really kick in, and really for us to take the next step, he has to add wing/midfield minutes and become an Embley type player.
Too small ? He plays taller than Tex , Jenkins and Lynch and has mobility / agility to pressure

He creates more crumbs for Eddie and the others than any of our tall forwards

He makes ground sometimes from 25m deep to launch in the air and he will start grabbing more of those also

Remove this Banner Ad

Back