Teams San Francisco 49ers - The Niners

Remove this Banner Ad

The Santa Rosa Press Democrat's Grant Cohn reports 49ers GM Trent Baalke's "head is under the guillotine," and he's on the hot seat this season.

Owner Jed York is putting the pressure on Baalke after elevating executive Tom Gamble to assistant GM on Monday. Gamble has been with the organization since 2005 except for a two-year stint with the Eagles from 2013-2014 when Gamble had to move back east to be near his sick father. Gamble rejoined the 49ers before last season and has seen numerous GM interviews around the league. Baalke is best-known for winning with now-Redskins GM Scot McCloughan's roster and then winning a power struggle with now-Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh, forcing him out of town. Baalke has drafted terribly in recent years despite often having the most picks at his disposal. This 49ers roster isn't set up to win games in 2016.

Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat

Unlike Bush when he unseated Hussain, if York fires Baalke he isn't going to create a leadership void at the top.

The Santa Rosa Press Democrat's Grant Cohn reports 49ers GM Trent Baalke's "head is under the guillotine," and he's on the hot seat this season.

Owner Jed York is putting the pressure on Baalke after elevating executive Tom Gamble to assistant GM on Monday. Gamble has been with the organization since 2005 except for a two-year stint with the Eagles from 2013-2014 when Gamble had to move back east to be near his sick father. Gamble rejoined the 49ers before last season and has seen numerous GM interviews around the league. Baalke is best-known for winning with now-Redskins GM Scot McCloughan's roster and then winning a power struggle with now-Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh, forcing him out of town. Baalke has drafted terribly in recent years despite often having the most picks at his disposal. This 49ers roster isn't set up to win games in 2016.

Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat

How predictable..I posted this on another thread in January..

Ot was a weird situation in Phiily for Kelly. He brings in Gamble which pits Roseman's nose out of joint...Roseman sacks Gamble...then Chip gets his way with the old 'him or me' ultimatum and Roseman is given lesser role. Then, if reports are believed, Roseman is behind Chip sacking. You couldn't make this s**t up!!!
Roseman has a history with shafting others.

Still how is Baalke going to feel with Chip and Gamble working close together? It could end up same situation. Baalke and Roseman seem similar types...maybe Baalke even worse..afterall this is the guy that hired Tomsula.

...just didn't expect it this early. What a joke!

CSN Bay Area reports "there's no question" GM Trent Baalke is on the hot seat.

Baalke was on the hot seat going into the season. His future is "very much in jeopardy" after an unwatchable first month. Baalke has been one of the worst drafters in the league over his six-year tenure, managing three full-time starters (DeForest Buckner, Eli Harold, Trent Brown) over the last two seasons and getting nothing from mid-round injury flyers DeAndre Smelter (2015) and Marcus Lattimore (2013). The 49ers are going nowhere under Baalke and have negative PR from pre-game Colin Kaepernick protests. Assistant GM Tom Gamble is the top in-house candidate to replace Baalke.

Source: CSN Bay Area

Hayne looked more comfortable at PR and RB than Davis did last week... Hayne should never have given it away. Fool.

He's better than Gabbert by far. Just for some reason (Baalke?) he's been disinterested in staying with the Niners and giving a s**t.
Post Harbaugh it has turned sour for him.

This place is predictably quiet...
The bears game was the end of hope for me. We had been showing signs up until that match and the lack of effort is depressing to watch. Not getting up at 5am for that rubbish anymore.

This place is predictably quiet...
The bears game was the end of hope for me. We had been showing signs up until that match and the lack of effort is depressing to watch. Not getting up at 5am for that rubbish anymore.
I thought you guys were sure things against the hapless Bears. Shows just how bad the team is that the lowly Bears smacked you.
Gonna take a bit of effort from the Front Office (as in a new Front Office) to haul you guys out of where you are now.

I thought you guys were sure things against the hapless Bears. Shows just how bad the team is that the lowly Bears smacked you.
Gonna take a bit of effort from the Front Office (as in a new Front Office) to haul you guys out of where you are now.

Yep this is gonna be a 5 year project to get us back to playoff contention!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brasher what is happening to your team, old mate??

That last quarter was ugly...

Chip goneski?? Or does Kman get all the blame from the media??

Bryce Petty and the Jets, man. FREAKIN' BRYCE FREAKIN' PETTY AND THE JETS, MAN!!??!!

At least if it was Benny and the Jets that beat you, you could blame the bad outfits or the crappy dancing...

How do they fix it?

Brasher what is happening to your team, old mate??

That last quarter was ugly...

Chip goneski?? Or does Kman get all the blame from the media??

Bryce Petty and the Jets, man. FREAKIN' BRYCE FREAKIN' PETTY AND THE JETS, MAN!!??!!

At least if it was Benny and the Jets that beat you, you could blame the bad outfits or the crappy dancing...

How do they fix it?

Just brilliantly executed tanking....show enough in the first half to give hope and then tank it away in the second....well that's my story to talk me off the ledge anyway.

Myles Garrett is the prize here....can not afford to win at all costs.

Cam Inman of The San Jose Mercury News believes 49ers GM Trent Baalke will be "gone" after the season.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reported the same earlier this month, and Baalke deserves to go after letting a promising young roster devolve into a league-worst unit in just a couple of seasons. Inman does expect coach Chip Kelly to stick around, however, and speculates assistant general manager Tom Gamble could be promoted to replace Baalke. Gamble and Kelly worked together in Philadelphia and seem to have a good relationship.

Source: San Jose Mercury News

I'm sorry but this is madness. I can understand getting rid of the GM but honestly why would you give Kelly one year to try and do something with an absolutely woeful roster and no competent QB?

Just shows how good a job Tomsula did last year doesnt it?

I agree, 9ers are now officially a joke of a franchise, two years in a row they sack coaches after their first year.

Balke is terrible and a big part of the problem but until the owner is sacked (yes i realise this is impossible) they will continue to be the joke they have become.

From ESPN:

The Niners will become the first team since 1976-77 to fire coaches in back-to-back years after just one season at the helm. Coincidentally, the Niners were the last franchise to do it, firing Monte Clark and Ken Meyer after each had a single season on the job

http://www.espn.com.au/nfl/story/_/...gm-trent-baalke-dismissed-san-francisco-49ers
From NFL.com:

With the move, the 49ers now go one-and-done with their coach two years in a row. It means they will owe more than $30 million in coaches salaries. But as one source explains, that's not as important as building a winning franchise again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...considering-replacing-trent-baalke-chip-kelly

A few interesting observations from some of the press coverage...

Offense has been hurt by lack of WRs (funny, 'cause Chipster never could get enough WRs in Philly. He let the good ones go, but kept heaps around...):

The 49ers...currently have just 4,677 yards and rank 29th in the league in offense. Last year’s unit led by coordinator Geep Chryst finished with 4,860 yards.

That’s due in large part to a dearth of skill position players, particularly wideouts, which has been Baalke’s biggest blind spot since he started running the 49ers’ draft in 2010. The team’s starters Sunday are expected to be Jeremy Kerley, Rod Streater and rookie Aaron Burbridge, none of whom were on the roster last season. Kerley, Streater and Chris Harper didn’t even go through training camp with the 49ers this year.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article124022749.html

Since 2013, Baalke has drafted 7 different players who each had an ACL reco in their last year of college football:

The nature of the leaking of the decision on Kelly's future is starting to be discussed more than the actual firing:

"We can all understand firing a head coach who goes 2-14, but to leak it the night before and make Kelly go through the motions is another sign that shows how totally clueless York is.

Fire Kelly and GM Trent Baalke at the beginning of the week or a few weeks ago like the Rams did with Jeff Fisher or the Jaguars did with Gus Bradley. Don’t humiliate men, don’t anger your players, don’t make your franchise a punchline on Twitter.

Too, late. York is back at it again.

On Sunday York will embarrass Kelly in front of a half empty stadium. On Monday, he’ll have to try and convince top-notch candidates to come work for him. The timing of this shows a lack of understanding of how to operate an NFL franchise. York might be actually making the right decision on firing both Kelly and GM Trent Baalke, but the timing of it will make certain candidates squeamish to come work for him.

“For something to come out like that tonight, it’s completely absurd,” a 49ers assistant coach said via text. “Clearly a sign of an (ownership) issue.”
“Nobody told us anything,” the assistant coach said.

Texts are flying through the coaching community on New Year’s Eve, and again, none of them are reflecting well on York or the 49ers. I tweeted the only way this move makes sense is if York already has a big name lined up.

Because if he doesn’t there are going to be a litany of coaches who won’t want to work in Santa Clara. And you could be witnessing another January Duck-Duck-Goose hunt from one of the worst organizations in football.

More to come tomorrow. A lot more."

http://www.knbr.com/2016/12/31/jed-...elly-and-baalke-firings-shows-lack-of-vision/

Oh, and this:

“Chip’s going to be here for a long time, period,” CEO Jed York - 20 January 2016...

Does anyone have a gif of Frank Gore doing the dirty bird in the 2012 NFCCG?
I could go an update (Still stick with the irony of it being done by an opponent)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back