Training The house is coming down - it's training time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith is a gun but most hawks fans thought hill was s**t
It was Hodge, Burgoyne, Lewis, Sewell, Mitchell, Roughead, Lake, Stratton, Suckling, Birchall etc

Every year the Hawks were called slow yet they played in 4 grand finals in a row

Hill was a good fit in an unbelievable side, he wouldn't of got a kick in a Melbourne side circa 2012, he complimented the hard work hodge Lewis and Mitchell did .....I was talking purely midfield mix. All those players you mentioned are guns and regularly got it done on the big stage!

Hill was a good fit in an unbelievable side, he wouldn't of got a kick in a Melbourne side circa 2012, he complimented the hard work hodge Lewis and Mitchell did .....I was talking purely midfield mix. All those players you mentioned are guns and regularly got it done on the big stage!

He was a role player, I think someone like Stretch can play his role at the same level no problems
What we don't have is an Isaac smith who is the best winger in the league and a goal scoring threat

But I have no doubt that the Hawks would have won those flags without him

Everyone knows that it's about speed of ball movement, rather than fleet of foot.

That's said, I agree with Crusty Demon in that there are several roles in a side which benefit from elite leg speed.

They are primarily; line breaking speed from defence (Hunt), small forward pressure (Garlett) and for the 'sling-shot' (Kent).

I still think we could do with 1 more player with elite leg speed on the list and I think it would ideally be in the Jayden Hunt mould. Running the ball from defence and through the midfield.

I also think we should be trying to find someone to come up behind Kent and Garlett, based purely on their respective reliability.

Went down to the open training session here on the Sunshine Coast. Will put a few pics up but not sure on quality. Sorry in advance

The main group trained well doing mainly end to match simulation type f training. Most of the time they were all pushing 100%. Some stand outs for me were

Truck - so much like a panther. Big and silky smooth. Looks to glide over the ground. He looked in top nick
Hogan - looked very fit and his hands were working welnl
Clarry - looked good both by hand and foot
Lewis - seems to have slotted in very well. Was faultless by foot
Milkshake - now I'm not his biggest fan but his intensity was right up there. Seemed to be a natural leader during the drills. Really impressed me with his work rate, skills and talk
Salem - no signs of issues and he trained with the main group
Bugg - "Bugga" impressed with his running and ability to pressure opponents in the match sim training
JHK - Was going flat out all day

The rehab group had Ben Ken, Jetta, Kent, Dom, Spencer and a few other. Couldn't see anything wrong with Nav really. spoke with Kenno and he is carry some issues with stress fractures in his foot. They were bothering him second half of last year and is still bothering him. Kent moved quite well. He looks reasonably fit.

Anyway here's some pics

IMG_0218.JPG IMG_0219.JPG IMG_0220.JPG IMG_0221.JPG IMG_0222.JPG IMG_0223.JPG IMG_0224.JPG IMG_0225.JPG IMG_0226.JPG IMG_0227.JPG IMG_0218.JPG IMG_0219.JPG

Went down to the open training session here on the Sunshine Coast. Will put a few pics up but not sure on quality. Sorry in advance

The main group trained well doing mainly end to match simulation type f training. Most of the time they were all pushing 100%. Some stand outs for me were

Truck - so much like a panther. Big and silky smooth. Looks to glide over the ground. He looked in top nick
Milkshake - now I'm not his biggest fan but his intensity was right up there. Seemed to be a natural leader during the drills. Really impressed me with his work rate, skills and talk
Bugg - "Bugga" impressed with his running and ability to pressure opponents in the match sim training

The rehab group had Ben Ken, Jetta, Kent, Dom, Spencer and a few other. Couldn't see anything wrong with Nav really. spoke with Kenno and he is carry some issues with stress fractures in his foot. They were bothering him second half of last year and is still bothering him. Kent moved quite well. He looks reasonably fit.

Anyway here's some pics

View attachment 333207 View attachment 333208 View attachment 333209 View attachment 333210 View attachment 333211 View attachment 333213 View attachment 333214 View attachment 333216 View attachment 333217 View attachment 333218 View attachment 333207 View attachment 333208
No need to apologise - picks are really good especially in what looks like full sun. Doesn't harmes look lean and hard!

But no fish?

No need to apologise - picks are really good especially in what looks like full sun. Doesn't harmes look lean and hard!

But no fish?

Funny you should ask. While watching the rehab group Kent was asked by a fan what he's up to. Dean says Sunday is their day off and he was thinking of hiring a tinny and going fishing.... I blurted out "I'll take you fishing" he looked at me and said "yeah" then slowly walked backwards towards the rehab group.... I suspect he thought I was a stalker

Anyway here's some pics

View attachment 333207 View attachment 333208 View attachment 333209 View attachment 333210 View attachment 333211 View attachment 333213 View attachment 333214 View attachment 333216 View attachment 333217 View attachment 333218 View attachment 333207 View attachment 333208

Watts and Hogan both looking lean and strong... could cause quite a few headaches for opposition defences this year!

Anyway here's some pics

Is that Wattsy in the third last photo? Looking mega fit. Ph fit..

But no fish?
Yeah Harmes looked lean and mean, he also trained very well in the match sim. He was hard at it and worked hard.

Maybe I have rose coloured glasses but they all looked primed ready to go and had us all feeling optimistic

Jeffy wasn't there though. Benken said he was on and indigenous footy camp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just re read the report I posted and I wish to extend my apologies for the disjointed grammar and uninspiring wordsmithing (cmon is that even a word?) Demon fans. In my defence I had 11 people over for dinner, after hours work problems and a few brewskis under the belt. I will attempt to articulate my Demonic experiences in a more eloquent manner forthwith

I was also there for a time ... I looked for Yakker ... but didn't see anyone wearing waders and carrying a flathead by the gills, so moved on.

I moved around a lot, making it difficult to take too much in, but the most notable thing was how hard they all trained, one of the last drills was some kind of fwd on def wrestle then lead for the ball, watching Watts and Garland go at it, they could hardly move to lead at it ... I liked that.

On top of those already mentioned, I like Hannan ... his speed and leap give him an interesting advantage.
Vanders was in a lot, including trying to break Flippers legs sliding into a contest, which Benny Matthews tore a strip off him for.
Speaking of Filopovic, get the kid a net ... couldn't get a mark in a German bank ... before they went to Euros ... ahh, he dropped a bunch of marks.
Watching the rehab group, not much rehab going on, they were getting smashed, particularly King, who Crossy was torturing ... got a nice set shot routine tho. Dom said he was feeling good, should be good for Round 1. Gus, Nev and Hibberd all looked strong in there, Spencer, Wagner and Kent had an early mark

Otherwise, I've been drinking and don't remember

He was a role player, I think someone like Stretch can play his role at the same level no problems
What we don't have is an Isaac smith who is the best winger in the league and a goal scoring threat

But I have no doubt that the Hawks would have won those flags without him

I think you'll find you just recruited him at 46 in the draft. As fast as Johanissen, highly evasive, same body type as Isaac, big tank, thumping left foot, scores goals, seems to fit the bill.

Overheard dom sayin he will be right for the last preseason game.
I was also there for a time ... I looked for Yakker ... but didn't see anyone wearing waders and carrying a flathead by the gills, so moved on.

I moved around a lot, making it difficult to take too much in, but the most notable thing was how hard they all trained, one of the last drills was some kind of fwd on def wrestle then lead for the ball, watching Watts and Garland go at it, they could hardly move to lead at it ... I liked that.

On top of those already mentioned, I like Hannan ... his speed and leap give him an interesting advantage.
Vanders was in a lot, including trying to break Flippers legs sliding into a contest, which Benny Matthews tore a strip off him for.
Speaking of Filopovic, get the kid a net ... couldn't get a mark in a German bank ... before they went to Euros ... ahh, he dropped a bunch of marks.
Watching the rehab group, not much rehab going on, they were getting smashed, particularly King, who Crossy was torturing ... got a nice set shot routine tho. Dom said he was feeling good, should be good for Round 1. Gus, Nev and Hibberd all looked strong in there, Spencer, Wagner and Kent had an early mark

Otherwise, I've been drinking and don't remember
saying he will be right for the pre-season game

I'm a little late to the wing debate, but Stretch is my man there. Offers an old school composure off the wing that few others provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a little late to the wing debate, but Stretch is my man there. Offers an old school composure off the wing that few others provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another Stretch person is always a good thing. Old school composure is a good description. He had a very good year. No offence at all to ANB, but I can see why Stretch was the first guy picked in 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back