Review Dees v Suns: Good, Bad and Downright Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Comrades, back in 2011, the Devil came to me and said "Biff, the Dees are accursed. They will never be any good. You were born on the day that Norm Smith was sacked - your very existence is a bane on the fortunes of the Dees - once were kings indeed. Why not adopt a second side? Why not follow this new franchise? Yes, the Suns. Free from desire . . . free from a useless history . . . free from the shame of PF and GF appearances in the future! . . . ." I resisted him on that occasion. Given the butt-whipping that is coming our way, the smell of sulphur could soon be in the air again. Suns by 25 points.

Say what you will about Gold Coast, but they're honestly making it hard to win up there. Play the conditions well.

Ugly scrappy at times, but take the win. That was a pretty commited team

Petty needs to go back the other end of the ground if we're going to crowd the forward line with rucks.
Yep. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s affecting Fritsch’s game too. If we don’t mark the ball the ground level pressure looks nonexistent at times.

Thought that was a great game of footy. Trac played as well as I’ve seen him play this year, Viney a beast as always.

Good: winning

Bad:
Sloppy skills and lazy football. After looking good early, we let them back in.
Getting smashed in clearances and easily as well. Felt like they were walking it out at times.
Giving away too many easy goals especially their two in the last.
Easy transition from the backline getting end to end way to easily, need to get better at defending quick ball movement.

Ugly: The commentary, dunstall and King making Dwayne almost bearable. Dunstall only watching it one way. Early on it was gold coast skill errors just letting them down, just not hitting targets in the forward 50. Melbourne were just as wasteful could have easily said Melbourne should be further infront. Then the pleas for frees or excusing poor umpiring. Lachie hunter gets a clear handball, that's never a free kick but I'm glad they paid it. Can't get more bias than saying it's not a free but I'm glad. King crying about a non free in the last quarter when there were so many soft ones paid. The other blatant one that annoyed me was the 50 for JJ. King "it doesn't impact the play " yeah no s**t but you still can't run over the mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve had some diabolical wins against Gold Coast, the one in 2019 was ridiculous, this one rivals that. May’s kickout with 14 seconds left was awful, we conceded another forward 50 entry even after that GC miss! What the *!

Just take the win and move on, we’re better than that, GC aren’t bad up there. Some good efforts by us mixed in with some awful ones. Take the 4 points and run!

Turner must put on some size, granted GC came in with lots of key forwards but Casboult easily outmuscled him multiple times. Fritsch an all time stinker. At least we won.

Got the win.
Mids seemed sharper hitting forwards. Fought back against momentum/pressure.
The Suns do occasionally play solid games. Today one of them, they're flaky but talented.
Fritsch useless. Some shaky defence and iffy umpiring both ways.
Yep they choked against essendon and Freo, could have easily been 5-3. Was always going to be a hard win.

Still probably should have won by a bit more Fritsch was unusually quite and had some shocking set shots and we leaked some goals but credit for gold coast for finding a way to hang in. Also thought our players fought well in the end as well.

Petty needs to go back the other end of the ground if we're going to crowd the forward line with rucks.

Yep, Goody back to his old tricks, apart from Kozzy defending well on the deck at times in F50 we were awful at it. Our tall forward line doesnt take enough marks inside 50 to justify crowding it with 4 talls

Yep, Goody back to his old tricks, apart from Kozzy defending well on the deck at times in F50 we were awful at it. Our tall forward line doesnt take enough marks inside 50 to justify crowding it with 4 talls

We're 4th in the AFL for marks inside 50.

Height doesnt equal marking in forward 50 success, thats my point. Far easier to get marks in F50 to someone under 6'0 on the lead than it is bombing it on 4 talls heads.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back