Review Dees v Carrrrrrlton: Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been keen on turning Rivers into a centre square mid for a while, but I do wonder if he'd be an option on the wing too.

Quick, breaks lines and is good one-on-one/overhead. Would certainly rather him on the wing to Langdon at the moment, provided we bring in someone who can play decent inside mid minutes and add something different to what we already have.

Thatā€™s way too out there for Goody. Best to just leave our 3 best kicks and/or line breakers playing deep defensive roles.

Lever was one of our best players what are you talking about?
I don't agree BL's.

He (lever) is good at what he does, But I think what he does is the beginning our our poor forward transitions. Simple really.

And he doesn't kill the defensive contest outright, enough; bringing further heat onto our defenders. This opposition pressure builds on our team, and works to cause some team errors.

His best is well behind him, as some sort of defensive mastermind.

All in all I see him as a part of our problem. His mental side of his game.

I don't agree BL's.

He (lever) is good at what he does, But I think what he does is the beginning our our poor forward transitions. Simple really.

And he doesn't kill the defensive contest outright, enough; bringing further heat onto our defenders. This opposition pressure builds on our team, and works to cause some team errors.

His best is well behind him, as some sort of defensive mastermind.

All in all I see him as a part of our problem. His mental side of his game.
Well Lever is definitely one of the dumbest players on our list. He has no game sense or footy IQ. But as a pure footballer he is good but he'll never have footy IQ. Always does dumb stuff. The blatant push in the back against Collingwood when he had numbers was a good example. Or even last season, getting called 50m for not giving the ball back against Brisbane which put the nail in the coffin in our season. That was after dropping the ball and not tapping the ball subtlety over the line. It's every week with Lever, 1 or 2 goals from dumb stuff. As good as he is with intercepting.

What if? That Carlton get the same preferential treatment they had last night in Brisbane. The brissy players and supporters would absolutely crack the ****s.
It would ensure that Collingwood gets some easy beats for the GF.

What if? That Carlton get the same preferential treatment they had last night in Brisbane. The brissy players and supporters would absolutely crack the ****s.
Brisbane will stuff Carlton by about 10 goals. Takes the fluro rodeo clowns right out of it.

he tied our clubs together forever in a way - media reporting ron barassi has died.............
Don't know if the game will ever have another figure of his legend. What a crap weekend

Collingwood won the flag the night we lost to them with inaccurate kicking. Brisbane are great at the Gabba but they'll be nothing at the mcg. Carlton won't get close to Brisbane unless the umpires help them out or they kick inaccurately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reflecting at what Brisbane, Pies and Port were able to add last offseason. Brisbane owned the off season and itā€™s showing on field. Our adds looked ok at the time but Grundy not working out means our list went backwards.

Brisbane: Dunkley, Ashcroft, Fletcher, McKenna. Iā€™ll ignore Gunston who has been average. (Lost McStay and was easily covered by their abundance of forwards already)

Pies: Hill, Mitchell, Markov, McStay (Lost Grundy, covered by Cameron Cox)

Port: JHF, Rioli

Dees: Hunter, Grundy (Lost Jackson, Bedford, Hunt - meh)

Keeping Pickett was big. Grundy didnā€™t work out as Jackson replacement leaving a hole in R2, I donā€™t mind we punted on him, but we need to add ready to go quality to keep our window open this off season and young talent obviously. Letā€™s hope there are some irons in the fire and a semi decent forward seeā€™s the opportunity to own our forward line.

Tomlinson and Jordan looked ok last night but will need to be replaced by others on the list stepping up.

Other lists got better and we went backwards. We need to progress the list with the Jackson compo and bringing in senior quality to fill weaknesses in our list, last crack with Gawn and May next year or two.
Yep. Our off-season last year was really poor compared to clubs around us. Hunter and Schache are very meh, and Grundy just didn't work out. Other clubs nailed their recruiting and reaping the benefits. Disappointing. Not sure we're going to do much better this off-season either.

Hogan would ******* suck with the way we kick the footy. At GWS he gets up the ground then runs back into an open 50 and GWS slingshot it to him. For us he'd just sook and kick 0 goals as we bomb it on his head
You saved me the trouble of writing exactly that. Spot on.

Last night and in fact the whole two weeks of the finals series was like witnessing a car crash you could see coming in slow motion.

All those pathetic missed sets shots - always, so predictable. Max Gawn better stay out of media for while after that set shot cost his team the game.

Collingwood won the flag the night we lost to them with inaccurate kicking. Brisbane are great at the Gabba but they'll be nothing at the mcg. Carlton won't get close to Brisbane unless the umpires help them out or they kick inaccurately.
Brisbane are the best team in it. The whole rhetoric is they canā€™t win at the G, until they do. Theyā€™ve beaten Collingwood twice this year. Almost stupid that people keep saying they canā€™t win at the G so shouldnā€™t be favourites. But Collingwood.

I managed to catch the first final against Collingwood at a beer garden in London at 10am.

Couldn't watch this one as was on a train from London to Brussels. Watched some video highlights after to get the gist of our * ups.

Sort of glad I can at least relax and enjoy the rest of my trip without worrying about finding a place to watch if we continued to progress. It's a weight off my shoulders in a way.

I can only hope some tough questions are asked of our game plan, skills and decision making. However I fully expect a "back us in" type message to get rolled out and for Robo Goody to change very little in the off season.

Brisbane are the best team in it. The whole rhetoric is they canā€™t win at the G, until they do. Theyā€™ve beaten Collingwood twice this year. Almost stupid that people keep saying they canā€™t win at the G so shouldnā€™t be favourites. But Collingwood.
Can't really count that second Coll v Bris game though. Pies were missing several players and it was at the Docklands. While I agree the Lions probably look better on paper, I can see them getting completely overwhelmed in the GF against the Pies. If it's a Pies v Lions final, I feel Pies win comfortably. I love that GWS is in the mix though. Fn love watching that side.

Can't really count that second Coll v Bris game though. Pies were missing several players and it was at the Docklands. While I agree the Lions probably look better on paper, I can see them getting completely overwhelmed in the GF against the Pies. If it's a Pies v Lions final, I feel Pies win comfortably. I love that GWS is in the mix though. Fn love watching that side.

Brisbane have won the last 6 against the Pies, mcg wonā€™t worry them on GF day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back