Review Dees v Carrrrrrlton: Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we should try bombing it inside 50 and winning the expected score premiership it's done so well for us so far

Seriously, DM me, I'll explain that stat for you to save you always getting it wrong and getting upset.

Fix? Not often. But you can improve. e.g. Elliot and Miers have improved.
100%. Improving Koz and Trac's accuracy by 5-10% would be a huge win for us.

Is Choco still goal kicking coach? Haven't heard much about him tbh. He should make it his priority. Those two generate so many opportunities.

100%. Improving Koz and Trac's accuracy by 5-10% would be a huge win for us.

Is Choco still goal kicking coach? Haven't heard much about him tbh. He should make it his priority. Those two generate so many opportunities.

He is, and I believe he's recently re-signed for another 2 years.

I presume that goal posts are still 7 yards apart. That is an huge target.

Good. I think. I hope Goody decides to play Trac as a 75-25 forward next season and Choco makes it #1 priority to improve his goal accuracy. We'd improve greatly by this one move alone..

Need the players to go above and beyond with skills sessions next year. No more bare minimum hours stuff.

I just don't think adjusting your game plan to fit in around a skill weakness is a winning strategy.
On the contrary I think gameplans should account for the strengths and weaknesses of your team.

For example Geelong changing their gameplan to make better use of their forwardline last year.

As I've said before our stodgy style seems to reflect this philosophy but it has failed so badly offensively that change is absolutely required in both personnel and strategy.

On the contrary I think gameplans should account for the strengths and weaknesses of your team.

For example Geelong changing their gameplan to make better use of their forwardline last year.

As I've said before our stodgy style seems to reflect this philosophy but it has failed so badly offensively that change is absolutely required in both personnel and strategy.

Strengths and weaknesses of the list profile and game style sure, but if we're saying the game plan is 'only easy shots from 25m straight in front because our goal kicking is way below AFL standard' then that's not a winning formula.

I'm not saying we don't need to adjust anything in the game style, I'm saying you try to improve the skill in this situation rather than make an impossible game plan to suit it.

Strengths and weaknesses of the list profile and game style sure, but if we're saying the game plan is 'only easy shots from 25m straight in front because our goal kicking is way below AFL standard' then that's not a winning formula.

I'm not saying we don't need to adjust anything in the game style, I'm saying you try to improve the skill in this situation rather than make an impossible game plan to suit it.
It's not all or nothing but every shot from those spots are like 90% instead of a 50-60% shot in the pocket.

We might have kicked maybe 5 shots from those nearly guaranteed positions in the finals. That has to improve.

Both Collingwood and Carlton have been excellent this year in pushing play wide. Both sides defensively did a great job against us. No coincidence against the weaker sides we scored well with high accuracy. Against the better defensive sides, our accuracy was poor as we were forced to go wider or have shots from further out. This is where Petty not being there hurt. He was able to take contested marks and compete in the air in a more dangerous forward position. Without a contested marking forward, opposition defences knew we'd struggle to win the ball front and centre.

It's not all or nothing but every shot from those spots are like 90% instead of a 50-60% shot in the pocket.

We might have kicked maybe 5 shots from those nearly guaranteed positions in the finals. That has to improve.

If our goal kicking was up to AFL standard we're in a prelim this week.

If our goal kicking was up to AFL standard we're in a prelim this week.
But it isn't and we're not. Despite it being a big focus for us this year. We're back where we started so I think we can leave it there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it isn't and we're not. Despite it being a big focus for us this year. We're back where we started so I think we can leave it there.

Which again, is on the players not go above and beyond to rectify, not just coast along on minimum hours.

Which again, is on the players not go above and beyond to rectify, not just coast along on minimum hours.
The reason for training is repeat things over and over again, so we don't have to think about what and when to do whatever. You just do it. e.g. Any sport, fireman, ambos, soldier ...

Fine motor skills come from multiple daily practices.

Trac and Koz better spend all summer working on goal kicking routines. I feel if these two improve their accuracy, we'll be a 4-5 goal better side each week.

Not at all fussed about Fritta. He's got runs on the board and I reckon his foot was a concern. Tbh. I reckon that attributed to his poor efficiency. Petty is a decent set shot. Even Joel Smith seems decent enough. But Koz and Trac generate so many shots, so work on their routines and we instantly become a better side. Trac in particular.
This, and it would be nice to also add a couple more genuine goal kickers, seems mcadam is coming and im also interested to see if we draft watson who seems to know his way around the sticks

Watching the breakdowns of the match just pisses me off more, we just shat the bed, plain and simple.

I am relieved we're out now though, thought to myself yesterday how glad I was that I don't have to stress about watching us play this weekend.

Just saw this. Perfect reaction šŸ˜‚

Completely unrelated, but how ******* good is Craig Belemy? Greatest head coach in Australian sporting history imo.

Have found myself getting back into rugby league more now with the way the Dees bore me to tears.

Completely unrelated, but how ******* good is Craig Belemy? Greatest head coach in Australian sporting history imo.

Have found myself getting back into rugby league more now with the way the Dees bore me to tears.
Yep I've been enjoying the UFC weekly events more than the dees for a while now. No political correctness, interviews with the people are actually interesting because they have personalities and the company promotes interesting and gets rid of boring

Melbourne were the hardest side to play this year for us by a fair way. The two recent contests between our sides were just brutally tough, contest games with 2 sides that didn't want to quit. Just some decent ball movement going into the F50 and you'd have won the flag. Such small things made that that much difference. Melbourne did everything wrong against the Pies, bumbled, fumbled, moon ball going into the F50, kicked like a dog's hind leg at goal, fell over often at wrong times, smalls always seemed out of position when the ball hit ground, and the Dees still only lost by 7pts. Told me the Dees should have been good enough to win the whole thing and that the Pies won't be winning. For all the frustration just a tidy up and the Dees are in it up to their necks in 2024. Sure that will be sorted over summer.

Melbourne were the hardest side to play this year for us by a fair way. The two recent contests between our sides were just brutally tough, contest games with 2 sides that didn't want to quit. Just some decent ball movement going into the F50 and you'd have won the flag. Such small things made that that much difference. Melbourne did everything wrong against the Pies, bumbled, fumbled, moon ball going into the F50, kicked like a dog's hind leg at goal, fell over often at wrong times, smalls always seemed out of position when the ball hit ground, and the Dees still only lost by 7pts. Told me the Dees should have been good enough to win the whole thing and that the Pies won't be winning. For all the frustration just a tidy up and the Dees are in it up to their necks in 2024. Sure that will be sorted over summer.
Nah was the same rubbish in 2022, there's nothing to suggest we can fix it with the current side we have. We are a 6th placed team back to back that's not a flag contender.

It's going to be frustrating to watch over the next couple of weeks. Because whoever holds up the cup, I'll feel that we were better. But at the end of the day, bad kicking is bad football. But at least we lost on our terms.

It's going to be frustrating to watch over the next couple of weeks. Because whoever holds up the cup, I'll feel that we were better. But at the end of the day, bad kicking is bad football. But at least we lost on our terms.

This is exactly the type of nonsense the club wants you to believe. You've been brainwashed.

I spent the whole year saying it. You don't win a flag with 1 AA level player. That's not how it works. We had Oliver for 8 weeks or so, Trac for most of the season. Gawn for a small period and May was off an on excellent. That's it. The rest were way below AA level. Assuming we would just magically flick a switch in finals was always rubbish. Brisbane have a lot of players playing AA footy. So do Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back