Review Dees v Carrrrrrlton: Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a "football action"!

There was no ill intent and he sent flowers!
Ok guys what makes you think that Collingwood will get past the big big sound? They've already got rid of one lot of black and white.

I'm still bitterly disappointed and gutted, it's not so much losing that hurts it's the way we loss, pretty much had multiple chances and couldn't put them away. You would think Carlton were the team with finals experience not the other way around.

Anyway now that I've had a lot more time to process it, it probably wasn't our year regardless of winning last week or this week. Yeah our ball movement was/is garbage we just lacking a forward line. Can't win a premiership if we are relying on a cooked McDonald. Smith was good but shouldn't be our best forward. Fritsch missed a lot of footy and kicking is wayward. Kozzy has had an off year. Chandler has potential but hasn't looked good for a long time. Spargo was good but doesn't do it consistently.

Next year I definitely think we need to persist with Petty forward. JVR will essentially be in his second year, so definitely much more improvement to come. Hopefully we can bring in McAdams which will be an improvement. Trac being forward also gives us a different look. Will need to have this guy's fit going into the pointy end of the season.

Our backline stood up but I'm not sure how much longer we can last with current personal. I still believe May is performing well but had shown signs of slowing down. I actually think we should hold on to tomlinson, he can at times be a liability but he frees up lever. It also allows us to persist with Petty forward. Mcvee has definitely been a good fine. Salem's form is something very concerning, it's like watching local footy, there's always a guy that's in the team, coach seems to like him but you don't know why.

Midfield on paper looks good but too often let you down. Hunter has been a good pick up but langdon has been going backwards for a long time, pretty much been subpar since early 22. Brayshaw found some form which has been great, seems to have a simpler role. Trac needs to get back to being on from the start rather than working his way into the game, also needs to stop trying to be a hero all the time, I do like him forward and perhaps playing him forward and get him an early goal helps get him up. Oliver missed most the year and when he returned was underwhelming. Viney's best in fantastic but when he is bad boy is he horrendous. Viney needs to just simplify his game as well. Sparrow is solid and definitely has some improvement. Jordon is just not up to the pace. Wouldn't mind seeing more rivers and kozzy in the centre bounce. Would be great if we could draft that could re-energise the midfield group, I doubt this. I also know nothing about the draft pool.

Overall I think we can go again next year and we are still a shot at a premiership but will definitely need to see some changes, mainly being ditching that boring gameplan, which they have at times but seem to revert to 'our brand'. Look at gws they play with dare and are into a preliminary final, knocking over Port in Adelaide on the way. Anyway if we see a more daring game plan with a more potent forward line we can get that premiership, if not I reckon our windows will shut very quickly. It's a pity we have to wait another 6 months.

Well Lever is definitely one of the dumbest players on our list. He has no game sense or footy IQ.
wouldn't go that far.
But as a pure footballer he is good
is a good footballer.

Always does dumb stuff. The blatant push in the back against Collingwood when he had numbers was a good example.
Yes, he thinks hes the best. This gets himself into trouble, costing Us... He's not, by a long stretch.

It's every week with Lever, 1 or 2 goals from dumb stuff. As good as he is with intercepting.
Correct.

I just wish he would keep the game simple, and basic defending with some intercept marks.

But setting up our attacking options should be done by others, with some more insight and dare.

Last night still feels like a punch in the face.
I feel nonplussed.

Just numb with the result, 2 seasons running; and now with RDB passing.

The reason I am just so deflated, is our stupid method of moving the ball away from our back half. Our defence game has served us well; but to continue with this Bullshi t, up the line from HBF, is so confining to us.

From HBF, we ought be searching for the 45* kick to the corridor, or running the ball from HBF to work our way towards the corridor, opening up the whole of the F50.

I you do not have the best marking forwards, then get it into the corridor going forward.
Our best footy is with our smalls smarts, finding our forwards on the move.

Yeah our ball movement was/is garbage
:thumbsu:
Fritsch missed a lot of footy and kicking is wayward.
soft as spreadable margarine.
I actually think we should hold on to tomlinson,
As a 30Yr old, we won't get much for him. I agree, he should be a 2 team player.
Maybe he could fill in as a high half-forward, taking TMc's role, IF he can take marks across the centreline.

Hunter has been a good pick up but langdon has been going backwards for a long time, pretty much been subpar since early 22.

Brayshaw found some form which has been great, seems to have a simpler role.
Trac needs to get back to being on from the start rather than working his way into the game, also needs to stop trying to be a hero all the time, I do like him forward and perhaps playing him forward and get him an early goal helps get him up.
IF, Tracca is to play so much forward time, then we rely too heavily to bring the ball forward from stoppages with Oliver's ball being turned over too much.
In this scenario I think we should get after hReid.

I don't see Oliver being as dominant, with Tracca spending more time inside F50... Viney is good, but the thought of Oli aging worries me. I don't think his game will age well.

Oliver missed most the year and when he returned was underwhelming.
Oliver has to get back to run & carrying the ball, instead of the flip-over-the-top flickpass. He wastes so much possession, putting us back under the heat of Oppositions.

This overhanded flickpass ends up just transferring the pressure too often. I don't think it serves us well. And instead of us using more care, composure with ball, and finding better direct targets by hand, we waste most possessions.

Viney's best in fantastic but when he is bad boy is he horrendous. Viney needs to just simplify his game as well.
He lost his composure after the Brayshaw hit.
Sparrow is solid and definitely has some improvement.
Jordon is just not up to the pace.
?
Wouldn't mind seeing more rivers and kozzy in the centre bounce.
Would be great if we could draft that could re-energise the midfield group, I doubt this. I also know nothing about the draft pool.

Why does Sparrow get a free ride for your mob, I understand the kid is good looking and has a good frame to play footy, but he's ******* a terrible dumb player, probably one of your worst and has not improved.

Why does Sparrow get a free ride for your mob, I understand the kid is good looking and has a good frame to play footy, but he's ******* a terrible dumb player, probably one of your worst and has not improved.
One of our biggest issues right now is our depth is garbage so no one is really getting challenged for their spots. Sparrow hasn't done much since 2021. But his main issue is he's just another worse version of the other midfielders we already have. Contested ball player who is useless on the outside as he has little skill. He should be nothing more than a depth player but he gets senior games cause we've got no other midfielders who would actually be able to do any more than him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the last 6 minutes Gawny hits the post, Fritsch nearly hits the post, Gawny then thumps Clarry's goal into the post and then Kozz hits the post.

Cursed club is cursed

In the last 6 minutes Gawny hits the post, Fritsch nearly hits the post, Gawny then thumps Clarry's goal into the post and then Kozz hits the post.

Cursed club is cursed
Or just s**t. When your plan B is dump it long to the worst kick in the team you can't then expect him to kick the goals.

Or just s**t. When your plan B is dump it long to the worst kick in the team you can't then expect him to kick the goals.
Gawn one of the most unreliable kicks at goal unless he's 50 metres out. Kozzy has a terrible set-shot routine. Fritsch used to be super reliable set-shot but fell off a cliff this year and Clarry's shot was such a low percentage kick I was shocked he even went for it.

From a club that bragged about it's goal kicking practice too.

Last edited:
Gawns misses are predictable and costly, but Kozzy is arguably the most skilled player on the team and his shot was a snap. Clarry kicked 6.2 this year and actually looks to have a good routine now and Fritsch is one of the most accurate kicks in the league.

It wasn't like our bottom 6 players were missing these shots at the end. These are the guys that have won us games off their boot before but couldn't do it on the weekend.

Gawns misses are predictable and costly, but Kozzy is arguably the most skilled player on the team and his shot was a snap. Clarry kicked 6.2 this year and actually looks to have a good routine now and Fritsch is one of the most accurate kicks in the league.

It wasn't like our bottom 6 players were missing these shots at the end. These are the guys that have won us games off their boot before but couldn't do it on the weekend.
Kozzy missed a set shot from direcly in front in the 3rd quarter. Fritsh is great on the run but his set shot kicking has been bad this year especially in the finals. Clarry's shot was going to be difficult for anyone to kick and regardless of Gawn's stupidity on the goalline having it fall within touching distance shows how low percentage it was.

We kicked like crap but good teams find ways to get shots on goal in more dangerous spots. A 25m set shot from Gawn is very different to a shot from the top of the goal square to a loose player that you were able to get because the ball came in quicker than the defenders could get back.

Cursed club is cursed
A lot of them were low percentage shots. Some of them were probably reasonable efforts to hit the post.

And if you want to bring up expected score. The fact that we were winning that stat so often in our losses shows that we needed to generate even higher percentage shots at goal to account for our inaccuracy.

Melbourne has failed in its responsibility to humanity by failing to dismiss Collingwood in the first round, then to top it off they let a C-grade side beat them in a final.
Can we sink any lower?

I'm specifically talking about that sequence of shots in the last 5 minutes, not Kozzys other misses.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing - I agree we need to fix our ball movement going inside 50, I agree that the Blues were able to kick easier goals than us due to the way they moved the ball.

I disagree that they were all low percentage shots. Gawny one was an easy snap for most players but predictably he missed it. I backed Fritsch to kick that given it was the right side for the left footer even with my veil of negativity on. Clarry literally kicked the goal if Max didn't thump it into the post. Kozzy pulls snaps like that out of his ass all the time.

If it was Viney, James Jordon and Chandler missing those shots at the end then I think it's a different story. But I wouldn't have picked anyone else in the team to take that Fritsch set shot. He's been the most accurate forward in the AFL over the last 3 years.

I'm specifically talking about that sequence of shots in the last 5 minutes, not Kozzys other misses.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing - I agree we need to fix our ball movement going inside 50, I agree that the Blues were able to kick easier goals than us due to the way they moved the ball.

I disagree that they were all low percentage shots. Gawny one was an easy snap for most players but predictably he missed it. I backed Fritsch to kick that given it was the right side for the left footer even with my veil of negativity on. Clarry literally kicked the goal if Max didn't thump it into the post. Kozzy pulls snaps like that out of his ass all the time.

If it was Viney, James Jordon and Chandler missing those shots at the end then I think it's a different story. But I wouldn't have picked anyone else in the team to take that Fritsch set shot. He's been the most accurate forward in the AFL over the last 3 years.
Gawns kicks were low percentage because it was Gawn kicking them. But if you just want to lament a few minutes of missed opportunities then go for your life. It's an all too familiar story for this team imo.

But I wouldn't have picked anyone else in the team to take that Fritsch set shot. He's been the most accurate forward in the AFL over the last 3 years.

This part isn't true. Nick Larkey has him covered easily statistically.

He was the second player I checked. There's probably more aswell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back