Preview Port Adelaide @ Sydney - Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Call me Mr Conservative :rolleyes: but I am putting the brakes on my expectations of SPP for his first hit out in the real stuff.
The swannies in Sydney is obviously one very tough assignment and it won't surprise me at all if he is on the pine for the first bounce, and isn't injected into the game until after the heat has gone off a tad.
I'd start him. He'll bring the heat.

For those that are interested, we've made 9 changes from our final team of 2016

In: Dixon, Eddy, Hartlett, Hombsch, Houston, Jonas, Powell-Pepper, Ryder, Wingard
Out: Austin (inj), Bonner (omit), Impey (susp), Krakouer (susp), Lobbe (omit), Palmer (omit), Pittard (inj), Schulz (ret), Snelling (omit)
as someone else said, our ins for the outs from our last game, are better than Sydney's 7 ins vs 7 outs from the GF, so that is a positive.

For those that are interested, we've made 9 changes from our final team of 2016

In: Dixon, Eddy, Hartlett, Hombsch, Houston, Jonas, Powell-Pepper, Ryder, Wingard
Out: Austin (inj), Bonner (omit), Impey (susp), Krakouer (susp), Lobbe (omit), Palmer (omit), Pittard (inj), Schulz (ret), Snelling (omit)

Of the outs - all bar Schulz are in the mix when available/fit - so good depth?

I am sure you guys don't want to remember this but a favourite AFL memory of mine in recent years is in 2014 (?) Buddy going crazy and kicking some freakish goals against you guys in the final quarter and a half.

Shaddup - I was there! we lost by 4 points!

I was there too. The Sydney fans around us were mostly quietly chatting away sipping on their lattes in between squealing like piglets every time Buddy went near the ball. They didn't seem to know or care about anyone else! Reminds me of another group of fans actually...

I have been to every Port game at the SCG from 2007 onwards and never seen a win. That was such an epic game at least. Last year I told Jonas this the night before the game (he was out to dinner in Sydney with a mate of mine whilst suspended/injured) and he told me to stop going to the games... yet I am still flying down tomorrow for the game!

I am sure you guys don't want to remember this but a favourite AFL memory of mine in recent years is in 2014 (?) Buddy going crazy and kicking some freakish goals against you guys in the final quarter and a half.
Was a cracking game. Unfortunately our win record from that game onwards is dead mediocre.

I have been to every Port game at the SCG from 2007 onwards and never seen a win. That was such an epic game at least. Last year I told Jonas this the night before the game (he was out to dinner in Sydney with a mate of mine whilst suspended/injured) and he told me to stop going to the games... yet I am still flying down tomorrow for the game!

I saw 5 losses in 2014 inc prelim - no wins - one of our good years - I'll be going to SCG too!

(I saw no games last years so dont blame me...lol)

I was there too. The Sydney fans around us were mostly quietly chatting away sipping on their lattes in between squealing like piglets every time Buddy went near the ball. They didn't seem to know or care about anyone else! Reminds me of another group of fans actually...

We asked a lot "when did the opera start?" - more theatre goers there than ever in crowland!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just arrived sydneyside... Apparently it was 99% humidity here yesterday. .. not as bad today but still steamy.

Will you be at Paddington RSL for pre-game?

We need to wear 'big footy power' badges?
upload_2017-3-24_16-49-14.png

Was a cracking game. Unfortunately our win record from that game onwards is dead mediocre.

So true. It was like the players started thinking "Wow, we played so well, and still lost. Are we ever going to be good enough?" The bundle was dropped (apart from a small resurgence during the finals) from that point on. Let’s hope they are about to start believing again.

Min 18
Max 25
Showers developing.
Possible rainfall: 3 to 8 mm
Chance of any rain: 70%
rain_70.gif

Cloudy. High (80%) chance of showers in the afternoon and evening. Light winds.

Stuff that, seems reasonable to give him the simple task of making the Swans feel it
SPP has no fear. I agree. Let him learn and play on season AFL footballers using his instinctive game. He has x factor and sometimes that will provide many negatives but then......it will provide so many highlights. Don't dampen the kids ability. I watch with interest how Voss harnesses his strengths versus teaching him the realities of tough AFL football. Swans perfect place to learn.

Will you be at Paddington RSL for pre-game?

We need to wear 'big footy power' badges?
View attachment 349290
Is possible. Playing by ear. I know eddie Dingle and possibly chiwigi will.be there. Eddie dingle is very tall and looks like... well, and ex saints fullback and tigers coach...

Last edited:
Thanks Janus - great start to the previews.

Alphabeticlly, we have them! And there aren't many teams we can say that about.

Therefore, Ports by 23 with SP-P kicking 2.5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back