Opinion Changes Rd 4 vs St Kilda (He's back! Elliott in, plus Blair and Dunn in squad. Team in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talent is what we need in our team if we are going to make the finals in 2017.

Scharenberg is a serious talent I have no doubt about that.

Unleash the chosen one!
He will be soon enough, as form dictates

Was meant to be going really well over preseason (had done about 6-8 weeks of full training I believe) and to have been a mile ahead of where he was at the same time last preseason, but then he got what has been described as a bit of a minor hip injury, just on the eve of the intra-club game, which cost him the chance to play any of the JLT games.

Was apparently given plenty of time to get over that and get some full training in again before being allowed to play a game and that's what he did last weekend, playing about 3/4 of Sandy's last practice match (v Williamstown), for around 15 possies.

Touch wood, he hasn't had a setback to his hammy for almost a year, that I'm aware of, so that's a positive.
So he has actually played and got 15 possies in 3/4 of a game. That's not bad!

So he has actually played and got 15 possies in 3/4 of a game. That's not bad!
It's a lot better than the 6-8 he was getting in the Sandy seniors in some of those games he played there at the end of last year- before being dropped back to the development league to end the year. Which I imagine is as a result of having had a much better preseason this time around to give him that fitness foundation.

Hopefully he and Schazza get to see some senior AFL footy this year!

It's a lot better than the 6-8 he was getting in the Sandy seniors in some of those games he played there at the end of last year- before being dropped back to the development league to end the year. Which I imagine is as a result of having had a much better preseason this time around to give him that fitness foundation.

Hopefully he and Schazza get to see some senior AFL footy this year!
Berg should be knocking on the door in the next week or two if he maintains form. His game last week was apparently reminiscent of that first half against Sandringham in the VFL finals of 2015, but he ended up missing the second half after a knock to the head. Smith should be breathing a sigh of relief, because if Berg had put up a full game of that type of dominance it would have been hard to justify not promoting Berg in his place!

Talent is what we need in our team if we are going to make the finals in 2017.

Scharenberg is a serious talent I have no doubt about that.

Unleash the chosen one!
Agree talent
Beats vanilla

Berg should be knocking on the door in the next week or two if he maintains form. His game last week was apparently reminiscent of that first half against Sandringham in the VFL finals of 2015, but he ended up missing the second half after a knock to the head. Smith should be breathing a sigh of relief, because if Berg had put up a full game of that type of dominance it would have been hard to justify not promoting Berg in his place!
Yeah I vividly remember that half against Sandy, was just taking intercept mark after intercept mark. Really liked the look of him in his draft year as well.

Just doesn't seem to have any obvious weaknesses in his game and is the really reliable type you can just bank on week after week. Been a real shame about his injuries, as he can seriously play.

Hope he gets a good run at it from here as he seems like a really good guy too and is apparently extremely professional.

Yeah I vividly remember that half against Sandy, was just taking intercept mark after intercept mark. Really liked the look of him in his draft year as well.

Just doesn't seem to have any obvious weaknesses in his game and is the really reliable type you can just bank on week after week. Been a real shame about his injuries, as he can seriously play.

Hope he gets a good run at it from here as he seems like a really good guy too and is apparently extremely professional.
Lack of pace is the only real weakness I see, but that can be made up for if the footy smarts and talent is there, which he has in spades. There are quite a few posters on this board who have been running with the 'bust' narrative on him for a while now. They're going to be in for a pleasant shock once he gets a good run at it imo.

so blair is back....i spent 2 weeks sticking my membership back together when he was dropped and now i have to tear it up again...

i just cant believe that buckley would drop him just so he can piss us off by bringing him back...

Very similar teams DarkSaint in their development.........massive game for both teams.

I hope the game is a cracker and we win of course ;)

Love your coach by the way! :thumbsu:

I agree with you, seems as though you guys focused more so on the mids while we went key position players.

It is a massive game with one team squaring the ledger and the other starting from a fair way behind hoping to make the 8.

A serious question, because I haven't followed his preparation this year, but how is Freeman shaping up?

He's has done most of the pre season on the back of playing 6 or so consecutive games in the vfl/development team.

Had a bit of a hip issues in the jlt which kept him out for 3 or 4 weeks but seems to be back in full training again.

Hammy seems to have held up, but I think it's just now the mental side that he needs to work on.

911th post this thread
Go the berg

Last edited:
Lack of pace is the only real weakness I see, but that can be made up for if the footy smarts and talent is there, which he has in spades. There are quite a few posters on this board who have been running with the 'bust' narrative on him for a while now. They're going to be in for a pleasant shock once he gets a good run at it imo.

Two of my favourite non Collingwood players are Diesel Williams and Sam Mitchell.

Real footballers over pace any day of the week.

I agree with you, seems as though you guys focused more so on the mids while we went key position players.

It is a massive game with one team squaring the ledger and the other starting from a fair way behind hoping to make the 8.
Big game, no doubt, probably a genuine 8 point game. The mid field battle will be crucial, but perhaps the most important factor is the venue where your team plays very well, and we did once in about 2009. Quality of disposal inside 50 is perhaps the biggest key. Our back 6 isn't too bad when the supply is slow and average. They don't have big names but play as a unit. I wouldn't underestimate them.
I too, love your coach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big game, no doubt, probably a genuine 8 point game. The mid field battle will be crucial, but perhaps the most important factor is the venue where your team plays very well, and we did once in about 2009. Quality of disposal inside 50 is perhaps the biggest key. Our back 6 isn't too bad when the supply is slow and average. They don't have big names but play as a unit. I wouldn't underestimate them.
I too, love your coach

Yep got to agree with you there. I feel the ladder position doesn't do both teams justice as we have lost 1-2 games due to awful kicking for goal.

Will probably come down to who is a more accurate kick on the day.

Last edited:
Ok everyone Happy Easter.

Enjoy the game on Sunday with your pies and sausage rolls.

I know I'll try and enjoy eat whilst eating lamb on the spit.. marinated octopus and squid.. feta cheese pitas.. homemade greek sweets.. kalamata olives etc etc etc etc.

Luv yas.

No kokoretsi or spanakopita? Enjoy your Easter Gimp, and easy on the kourabiedes, or as my kids call them, cocaine cookies.

No kokoretsi or spanakopita? Enjoy your Easter Gimp, and easy on the kourabiedes, or as my kids call them, cocaine cookies.

Not even going to ask why they call them cocaine cookies Tony Montana! :)

Χριστος Ανεστι λεβέντη!

As much as I love Smithy, if it came down to a choice between the Berg and Josh for a spot and both were playing well, the Berg wins every time.

Shaz plays on the fade, slice it like a ninja
Cut like a razor blade so fast
Other players say, "damn"
If his footy was a drug
He'd sell it by the gram
Keep his composure when it's time to get loose
Magnetized by the footy while he kicks his juice
If there was a problem
Yo, he'll solve it!
Check out the hook while our Shazza revolves it

I'll get my coat.

Status