Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016 - 1.146 million
2015 - 1.298 million
2014 - 1.574 million
2013 - 1.281 million (without regionals) - est 1.61 million
2012 - 1.369 million (without regionals) - est 1.75 million
2011 - 1.054 million (without regionals, exclusive live to Seven under previous deal) - est 1.44 million total..
2010 - 719,000 (without regionals or fox)
2009 - 1.113 million (without regionals or fox)
2008 - 1.102 million (without regionals or fox)

Shows how much a close game alters the ratings. With the telecast lasting 3 hours, any time there's a blowout and lots of people switch off early it drags that average figure down by plenty.

Gosh mate you really are bagging the poor old Hawks aren't you?

They are not a huge club. Never have been and they exist and have done so in a crowded market in the big city where 4 or 5 other clubs ( Pies, Blues, Tiges, Dees, Bombers ) have traditionally vacuumed up almost all media and dominated discussion, but they have done spectacularly on and off field and have been a model of how to run a club. The only reason why people have the opportunity to bag their crowds this year is because they are reduced from a high caused by winning.

Enjoy bagging them and of course its nice to see them fall off but they have nothing to be ashamed of.
You are very reasonable these days GT. well posted.
In what world is 29K on a Sunday night v an interstate club a problem? It is not a problem for us, we have 72k members and no Vic club is stronger financially. Yes we have a younger supporter base and more kids than most other clubs because of recent success, so when we play in unfamiliar time slots like Sunday night (we have been used to prime slots) our crowds will fluctuate. So what. Our crowds may drop but membership will remain steady and when we rise again, crowds will be back up - the same as every other team
Unless you are in a two team town, success = crowds. The traditional big 4 of the 1980s when the term was coined were the four clubs that had played in the most grand finals the previous 50 years. Not hard to work out.

You are very reasonable these days GT. well posted.
In what world is 29K on a Sunday night v an interstate club a problem? It is not a problem for us, we have 72k members and no Vic club is stronger financially. Yes we have a younger supporter base and more kids than most other clubs because of recent success, so when we play in unfamiliar time slots like Sunday night (we have been used to prime slots) our crowds will fluctuate. So what. Our crowds may drop but membership will remain steady and when we rise again, crowds will be back up - the same as every other team
Unless you are in a two team town, success = crowds. The traditional big 4 of the 1980s when the term was coined were the four clubs that had played in the most grand finals the previous 50 years. Not hard to work out.

When you rise again - are you listening to yourself?

Last season Hawthorn was in the running to equal an 86 year record to win four consecutive flags. That's last season.

A few rounds in and you're talking as if you've only made the finals a few times in 35 years and hoping for some success real soon so that crowds return.

Speaking of clubs which have only made finals a few times in 35 years, Richmond hosted the Eagles two years ago and managed to attract 45,000 fans.

IN fact, last season the dogs hosted the Eagles and managed to attract 29k - at that point, they were a club that hadn't won a premiership in 62 years.

Just noticed that even Hawthorn managed to attract over 40k to the G against the EAgles last season, oh and look, it was played on a Sunday as well.

IN summary, to come off a near record four consecutive premierships, and then attract less than 30k to a game is pathetic.

When you rise again - are you listening to yourself?

Last season Hawthorn was in the running to equal an 86 year record to win four consecutive flags. That's last season.

A few rounds in and you're talking as if you've only made the finals a few times in 35 years and hoping for some success real soon so that crowds return.

Speaking of clubs which have only made finals a few times in 35 years, Richmond hosted the Eagles two years ago and managed to attract 45,000 fans.

IN fact, last season the dogs hosted the Eagles and managed to attract 29k - at that point, they were a club that hadn't won a premiership in 62 years.

Just noticed that even Hawthorn managed to attract over 40k to the G against the EAgles last season, oh and look, it was played on a Sunday as well.

IN summary, to come off a near record four consecutive premierships, and then attract less than 30k to a game is pathetic.

It's probably time to give the "near record four consecutive premierships" thing a rest. They didn't win last year, they got knocked out in straight sets. If you insist on trolling Hawthorn how about using "just two seasons after winning three flags in a row". Their record doesn't need gilding.

It's probably time to give the "near record four consecutive premierships" thing a rest. They didn't win last year, they got knocked out in straight sets. If you insist on trolling Hawthorn how about using "just two seasons after winning three flags in a row". Their record doesn't need gilding.

So in the year when they were aiming to equal an 86 year record to win four consecutive flags, as serious contenders I might add, just because they were knocked out in straight sets is the signal for all Hawthorn fans to give up the ghost a few rounds into a new season?

By comparison, the tiges only need a sniff of falling into the final 8, and they can attract 45k against the same opposition, and even the dogs can attract a crowd equivalent to what the Hawks could do BEFORE they won their drought breaking premiership.

So in the year when they were aiming to equal an 86 year record to win four consecutive flags, as serious contenders I might add, just because they were knocked out in straight sets is the signal for all Hawthorn fans to give up the ghost a few rounds into a new season?

It's kinda pointless to keep harping on about a 'record' that didn't happen, is my point. It's not even effective trolling. If you're attempting to ridicule their attendances after success it's probably best not to point out that they failed to achieve something the previous year rather than talking about what they did achieve the previous 3 seasons.

Further, being belted 4 weeks in a row is enough to make sure that less supporters turn out than you would expect if, say, the game was a grand final replay in Round 2 after winning a threepeat. Which is the comparison you made in your previous post.

By comparison, the tiges only need a sniff of falling into the final 8, and they can attract 45k against the same opposition, and even the dogs can attract a crowd equivalent to what the Hawks could do BEFORE they won their drought breaking premiership.

Awesome

Hawthorn attracted 48398 (Swans), 39007 (Lions), 29138 (Eagles) and 49527 (Swans) to all MCG games against non Vic opposition in the years before they won the 2008 flag (in 2007 and 2008). Not quite the 44464 (Swans), 50023 (Eagles), 54725 (Swans), 43583 (Dockers), 72798 (Swans), 63318 (Swans), 42977 (Eagles), 45758 (Crows) and 61588 (Swans) against non vic opposition during the glory years but nonetheless vey solid roll ups (much like the 37420 against the Crows in rd 2).

Bandwagoners come and go but the portion of rusted on fans dont change from club to club. It's just some clubs have greater scale of fans (rust ons and bandwagoners) then others.

It's funny how out of context crowd numbers can be used to support a slanted view hey.

But hey, perhaps when Hawthorn drop down the ladder the Hawks can recoup the millions of dollars that they donate to AFL equalisation. I'm sure it is just what the Giants want and need...

Last edited:
I'd say the poor crowd is more to the unusual positioning of a Hawks home game at 4.40 on a Sunday than it is any real drop-off for bandwagoning. It's the Hawks only position in that timeslot, after multiple years of not having that timeslot. I won't be surprised if Hawthorn supporting families have built lifestyles around not playing in that timeslot (as opposed to, say St Kilda or Freo 2.40 timeslot familes) and the unique position of that timeslot threw many Hawks fans out. Thankfully for them, they don't have any more at that time this year.

Last time at Sunday 4:40 - less than 18,000 rocked up vs GWS in Round 11, 2014, in the midst of their three-peat. I know it's GWS but surely that lends itself to that theory that Hawks fans don't turn up to that timeslot?

The other two Sunday 4.40 home games in the last 5 years:
2013 Round 5, 42k vs a good Melbourne-based team in North
2012 Round 21, 23k vs Gold Coast

I'd say the poor crowd is more to the unusual positioning of a Hawks home game at 4.40 on a Sunday than it is any real drop-off for bandwagoning. It's the Hawks only position in that timeslot, after multiple years of not having that timeslot. I won't be surprised if Hawthorn supporting families have built lifestyles around not playing in that timeslot (as opposed to, say St Kilda or Freo 2.40 timeslot familes) and the unique position of that timeslot threw many Hawks fans out. Thankfully for them, they don't have any more at that time this year.

Last time at Sunday 4:40 - less than 18,000 rocked up vs GWS in Round 11, 2014, in the midst of their three-peat. I know it's GWS but surely that lends itself to that theory that Hawks fans don't turn up to that timeslot?

The other two Sunday 4.40 home games in the last 5 years:
2013 Round 5, 42k vs a good Melbourne-based team in North
2012 Round 21, 23k vs Gold Coast
Do any club's supporters turn up for that time slot?

I understand why it happens (the AFL have compromised crowds in order to maximise their TV deal), but jeez it annoys me when we have two non-standard fixtures for the round and the two games that get removed from the standard weekend are the 2.10 on Saturday and the 1.10 on Sunday while the Sunday twilight game always stays.

I think Bulldogs, North and St Kilda fans generally like it.

Yes, it's not the same as the MCG, but people level way too many unreasonable criticisms at Docklands.
It's a great venue for those non GEELONG supporters living in Geelong. The ease of parking at the docklands and then jumping on the Boltie to the WG is awesome. Having Southern Cross there too is great. Suspect this is the same for those coming from Bendigo.
Getting to the G is a pain in the arsse from Geelong when it's a big game. v-Line always supplies additional footy trains straight to the G when GEELONG plays at the G, but for the rest of us you have to get off and get another train, tram. Forget driving unless you go early, which is impossible on a Friday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a great venue for those non GEELONG supporters living in Geelong. The ease of parking at the docklands and then jumping on the Boltie to the WG is awesome. Having Southern Cross there too is great. Suspect this is the same for those coming from Bendigo.
Getting to the G is a pain in the arsse from Geelong when it's a big game. v-Line always supplies additional footy trains straight to the G when GEELONG plays at the G, but for the rest of us you have to get off and get another train, tram. Forget driving unless you go early, which is impossible on a Friday night.

I have little or no patience for the " we hate the Dome" spoilt brat MCG tenant fans.

All these fans who allegedly hate the Dome would happily trot up if their club was top 4 and was facing a top 4 club. If my Richmond was playing the Dogs this weekend there would be thousands of bandwagon tigers who "hate the Dome" baying to get in to a sell out. Same applies to fans of all MCG tenants.

The Dome is a great sporting venue. If people don't go its because they don't want to go to the game.

I have little or no patience for the " we hate the Dome" spoilt brat MCG tenant fans.

All these fans who allegedly hate the Dome would happily trot up if their club was top 4 and was facing a top 4 club. If my Richmond was playing the Dogs this weekend there would be thousands of bandwagon tigers who "hate the Dome" baying to get in to a sell out. Same applies to fans of all MCG tenants.

The Dome is a great sporting venue. If people don't go its because they don't want to go to the game.

I hate the thought of getting (travelling) to the G. But once I'm there I remember what a great ground it is and why the biggest supported clubs play there. Etihad is needed for the smaller games. I think in the furture, now the AFL owns Etihad, they will schedule clubs where they are most suited to projected crowd numbers. I think now it would only be teams like Melbourne and the MCC management that is clinging to the current arrangement.

Thought this was interesting. You'd never think there would still be a crowd record from over 80 years ago.

Mind you, it will be the 60th anniversary of the largest H & A crowd ever next year.

Back to the present and the MCG is certainly not predicting that Blues-Swans record to fall - it expects 32k to that one and 50k to Collingwood-Geelong on Sunday. If we get to that mark I will be very happy.

I hate the thought of getting (travelling) to the G. But once I'm there I remember what a great ground it is and why the biggest supported clubs play there. Etihad is needed for the smaller games. I think in the furture, now the AFL owns Etihad, they will schedule clubs where they are most suited to projected crowd numbers. I think now it would only be teams like Melbourne and the MCC management that is clinging to the current arrangement.

Thought this was interesting. You'd never think there would still be a crowd record from over 80 years ago.

Mind you, it will be the 60th anniversary of the largest H & A crowd ever next year.

Back to the present and the MCG is certainly not predicting that Blues-Swans record to fall - it expects 32k to that one and 50k to Collingwood-Geelong on Sunday. If we get to that mark I will be very happy.

I think Carlton will do well to get over 28,000 and expect Coll V Cats to break 50K. The cats are unbeaten and playing a rival.

This back and forth about the Haw v WCE crowd reminds me of last years banter about the Rich v Adl crowd at Etihad (29K). Only this time the posters knocking the crowd are getting shouted down by the supposedly "sensible" posters offering all sorts of excuses for the Hawks poor crowd. :drunk:

South Melbourne was in one of their rare golden eras with many super stars playing for them and had a pretty good fan base at that time.Carlton always had good support.

This back and forth about the Haw v WCE crowd reminds me of last years banter about the Rich v Adl crowd at Etihad (29K). Only this time the posters knocking the crowd are getting shouted down by the supposedly "sensible" posters offering all sorts of excuses for the Hawks poor crowd. :drunk:
Yeah it wasn't a great crowd though it was the loudest I've heard Hawks supporters at a h&a game for a while, so that's good at least

South Melbourne was in one of their rare golden eras with many super stars playing for them and had a pretty good fan base at that time.Carlton always had good support.

They got the name the Swans in the 1930's because of the amount of Sandgropers playing there.

5 or 6 in the 1933 Premiership team.

Be interesting to see what the Geelong/Collingwood game crowd is. Being the Sunday 3:20pm I can't see it drawing anything over 48k and i think 45k is more realistic based on the response from our fans after last week. Free-to-air TV as well won't help...

Be interesting to see what the Geelong/Collingwood game crowd is. Being the Sunday 3:20pm I can't see it drawing anything over 48k and i think 45k is more realistic based on the response from our fans after last week. Free-to-air TV as well won't help...

Yep these are the type of games that FTA TV will effect badly esp if the weather is crap.

I don't think we should ignore the fact that one of the teams is unbeaten and 2nd on the ladder. Cats fans will surely want to see that run continue.

I expect over 50,000 though of course the Magpie turnout will clearly be depleted.

I don't think we should ignore the fact that one of the teams is unbeaten and 2nd on the ladder. Cats fans will surely want to see that run continue.

I expect over 50,000 though of course the Magpie turnout will clearly be depleted.
Being 2nd on the ladder is quite normal for Geelong in the last 10 years so hardly a novelty like it is for some clubs. I don't expect their supporters to offset the likely lack of Collingwood supporters much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back