Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
richmond haven't played a proper team yet (west coast at mcg does not count). Wheels will inevitably fall off, hilarity will ensue.

Is this thread about our credentials or about the attendance....Stop trolling!!!
And just to answer your well pretty much not thought out post U do know the cats have only beaten one top 8 side, Richmond beaten 2 in eagles and dees and this rubbish it doesn't count well it does....Haters gonna hate!!!

In the wet these Anzac day clashes generally get about 84K historically. It would be kind of ironic if the Anzac eve game drew more.

Not sure how this qualifies as 'ironic', but it probably has a 50-50 chance at the moment. Although I'm not sure how this year's could possibly draw less than last year given the circumstances of that game, and that got bang on 85k.

This crowd was bigger than something like 50% of all ANZAC day Coll - Ess crowds...

It would rank 13th out of the 22 ANZAC Day games, and would be beaten by 9 of the 11 held since the redevelopment of the G was completed.

Not sure how this qualifies as 'ironic', but it probably has a 50-50 chance at the moment. Although I'm not sure how this year's could possibly draw less than last year given the circumstances of that game, and that got bang on 85k.

Ironic in that last night's game is meant to be like a curtain raiser to todays game which is the main event

Adding Seven + Fox Metro figures would give us this: 7mate/FoxFooty 734k (Syd 37k Mel 430k Bri 61k Ade 111k Per 93k).

As Tiger as they come, but I still really hope today's game pushes 90000, these games aren't meant to compete, both meant to honour the sacrifices of our past men and woman who served.

Take bias and dislike for any team out, and enjoy the fact that nearly 180000 people will turn out in Melbourne over 2 days to pay respects so all the men and woman in the most Melbourne way possible, at the footy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It would rank 13th out of the 22 ANZAC Day games, and would be beaten by 9 of the 11 held since the redevelopment of the G was completed.
A bit of context to add is the ANZAC day game sold out a month ago, except for some single seats that became available the other day as the clubs returned unsold member seats.. AFL members sold out too. IF you had a stadium with 150,000 seats then it's likely some of the ANZAC day games would have drawn more spectators. Hence it's understandable whenever a game draws in the mid 80's like last night it would outdraw some of these games. The attendance at the Essendon V Collingwood game is basically capped.

All public seats sold out in an hour back in march. AFL members sold out as well. No GA except for some of the MCC I think.

MCC is the big factor in crowds in this case, plus rain no shows.

No priority for bombers and Collingwood AFL members. Bombers AFL members are still 11 home GA Essendon Members, and some would have upgraded to A reserved seat in the public sale.

How does that work, are these seats offered to the public or to AFL members generally, or those nominating Essendon, or to 11 home game Essendon members GA, no seat in membership package?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing crowd at the G. Not sure about 90,000, looks to be too many spare seats in the AFL Members for that.
If you saw at the start of game top deck of AFL members towards city end not to full then as game goes on 3rd/4th qtrs if u looked up much more filled up, this cause they opened up the top deck of AFL members towards Q26, 27, 28 as crowd even after the first bounce when they announced 78K and still another 8K came in after that...Top deck ponsford was bursting at the seems maybe cause of rain where people were then going up top to get a seat undercover and they opened the gate that can connect to AFL members top deck to get the people into those empty areas.
Unbelievable crowd of 85,657, i predicted bout 65-70K but when we got to the ground at 6.40Pm and the car park was already full i thought wow this looking likely to be a 75K+ crowd...

On the other hand the MCC members reserve and Ponsford stand looks absolutely packed, which is very rare.
We also have level 2 reserve seat holders at the ponsford end but overall the dees supporters went their, MCC was pretty full too except the top deck Q before the cross over gate towards the ponsford end/city end...

Does anyone know if any MCC members were sent to the AFL reserve last night ?
The MCC looked packed to the rafters while the AFL reserve looked pretty empty and I know their was still massive MCC lines trying to get in.
Or if that is even possible?

Yes , once the top of the ponsford filled up they opened up the top deck of the afl members and that filled up..
Though luckily for me despite sitting about 4 rows from the front the seats to my left and right didn't fill so i got to enjoy the atmosphere
of a packed stadium without the annoyance of being squeezed between annoying strangers. The result was nice as well:)

How does that work, are these seats offered to the public or to AFL members generally, or those nominating Essendon, or to 11 home game Essendon members GA, no seat in membership package?
There's 20k seats in the AFL reserve. Any afl member can purchase those tickets when they go on sale.

Some seats in the public areas (Olympic/Ponsford/2/3rds of the GSS) are for the home team's reserve seat members.

The rest of the public seats get sold to Essendon GA members, and Collingwood members who have access to away matches.

Any unsold tix can be bought by the public 2 days later.

As part of the AFL membership, you are also home game GA member of your club (and the afl gives a portion of your money to your club for that as well). So Essendon afl members are able to purchase those tickets at the same time as other Essendon GA members can.

Yes , once the top of the ponsford filled up they opened up the top deck of the afl members and that filled up..
Though luckily for me despite sitting about 4 rows from the front the seats to my left and right didn't fill so i got to enjoy the atmosphere
of a packed stadium without the annoyance of being squeezed between annoying strangers. The result was nice as well:)

So essentially last night was a general Public Sell out?

It doesn't matter which game outdraws the other. It matters that both draw well.

As Manic said earlier what was great about last night was the tight exciting game seen by the huge crowd. thousands of Tiges and Dees who perhaps go once or twice a year saw a top class game of end to end excitement.

What will that do for Richmond with their enormous crowd seeing them come from behind to go top of the ladder? Couldn't be better and perhaps the fixture will settle into drawing 70K plus on a reasonably regular basis in coming years if both dies remain at lest vaguely competitive.

Great crowd today looks close to 90K. The last 24 hours really highlights the gap in support between Pies, Dons, Tigers and the rest of the Vic teams. All of them can pull 80-90K against anyone on their day.

Great crowd today looks close to 90K. The last 24 hours really highlights the gap in support between Pies, Dons, Tigers and the rest of the Vic teams. All of them can pull 80-90K against anyone on their day.
Thats always been thus from the start of the VFL in 1897

Interestingly in the early days of the VFA/VFL South Melbourne were one of the biggest crowd pullers,Footscray,North,Hawthorn,St Kilda and Fitzroy were the also rans and to lesser extent Geelong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back