Resource 2017 AFL and AFLW Crowds and Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we should ignore the fact that one of the teams is unbeaten and 2nd on the ladder. Cats fans will surely want to see that run continue.

I expect over 50,000 though of course the Magpie turnout will clearly be depleted.
MCG predicting 44K. Free-to-air will stop many from going

MCG has adjusted both predictions for this weekend downward. Carl v Syd 32000 now 28000 and Coll v Geel 50000 now 44000. first time they have done that this year. Must be taking ticket sales and weather into account now.

The Canberra Times today was claiming the GWS vs Bulldogs match is expected to be a sellout.

'The CEO, Dave Matthews says "there's no doubt" Manuka Oval has to be upgraded if GWS are to keep coming back to Canberra four times a year when their current deal expires in 2021.
The club and the government are edging closer to starting negotiations about renewing the agreement. But the Giants say the clincher will be venue upgrades and expansion.'

It would be really nice if Canberra taxpayers had a say before another 26 million of taxpayers' money is squandered given we have the Mr Fluffy asbestos issue, the looming decentralisation of the APS, new trams, rental unaffordability ... not to mention there are other sports like rugby league, union, football and Olympic sports to consider.

What arrogance and pressure.

MCG has adjusted both predictions for this weekend downward. Carl v Syd 32000 now 28000 and Coll v Geel 50000 now 44000. first time they have done that this year. Must be taking ticket sales and weather into account now.

I'm not surprised at the Carlton readjustment. I think the world and his wife knew that 32K was unrealistic and saying that is no slur on the loyalty of Carlton fans. They are enduring a dismal disheartening time and that has now gone on a long time. It is remarkable things are not even worse for them. When onfield form recovers - if it ever does - they'll be back in numbers but for the moment it is just shockingly poor and who can blame the Carlton fans if they give it a miss?

44K for Collingwood and Geelong at the G would be worrying for Collingwood. How often in recent decades has the fixture fallen that far if one or other are top 4? I still think it will be nearer 50K but whatever happens its a concern.

Just shows how cyclical and dependent of expectation attendances are in our modern 21st century " Me me me now now now" culture.

The Canberra Times today was claiming the GWS vs Bulldogs match is expected to be a sellout.

'The CEO, Dave Matthews says "there's no doubt" Manuka Oval has to be upgraded if GWS are to keep coming back to Canberra four times a year when their current deal expires in 2021.
The club and the government are edging closer to starting negotiations about renewing the agreement. But the Giants say the clincher will be venue upgrades and expansion.'

It would be really nice if Canberra taxpayers had a say before another 26 million of taxpayers' money is squandered given we have the Mr Fluffy asbestos issue, the looming decentralisation of the APS, new trams, rental unaffordability ... not to mention there are other sports like rugby league, union, football and Olympic sports to consider.

Yes trams, Canberra needs trams.

See what they waste on that.

yes it is! but its the usual NSW numpty self entitled arrogance

I'm not surprised at the Carlton readjustment. I think the world and his wife knew that 32K was unrealistic and saying that is no slur on the loyalty of Carlton fans. They are enduring a dismal disheartening time and that has now gone on a long time. It is remarkable things are not even worse for them. When onfield form recovers - if it ever does - they'll be back in numbers but for the moment it is just shockingly poor and who can blame the Carlton fans if they give it a miss?

44K for Collingwood and Geelong at the G would be worrying for Collingwood. How often in recent decades has the fixture fallen that far if one or other are top 4? I still think it will be nearer 50K but whatever happens its a concern.

Just shows how cyclical and dependent of expectation attendances are in our modern 21st century " Me me me now now now" culture.

I'm the other way around with this weekend's games.

31 of the Swans' 38 games at the MCG have been larger than 28k. Include Docklands and it's 65 of 80 games. 28k would be their lowest crowd against a 'big 4' team at MCG/Docklands ever. If you're a bigger team and you fail to get 30k against the Swans it's a poor crowd no matter what.

On the other hand, before Geelong started their run at the top mid 40s was standard for Collingwood-Geelong. It's difficult to find comparable games given both clubs spent nearly a decade in finals at the same time and together produced what I think is the greatest run of crowds in the history of the game from 2007-2012.

But from 1998-2005 (where quite neatly usually one of the teams was good and the other not) in Melbourne the crowds go - 44k, 34k, 50k, 65k, 43k, 45k, 50k, 48k. So I think mid 40s is still clinging to reasonable, even if it's sitting at the low end of that scale.

I'm the other way around with this weekend's games.

31 of the Swans' 38 games at the MCG have been larger than 28k. Include Docklands and it's 65 of 80 games. 28k would be their lowest crowd against a 'big 4' team at MCG/Docklands ever. If you're a bigger team and you fail to get 30k against the Swans it's a poor crowd no matter what.

On the other hand, before Geelong started their run at the top mid 40s was standard for Collingwood-Geelong. It's difficult to find comparable games given both clubs spent nearly a decade in finals at the same time and together produced what I think is the greatest run of crowds in the history of the game from 2007-2012.

But from 1998-2005 (where quite neatly usually one of the teams was good and the other not) in Melbourne the crowds go - 44k, 34k, 50k, 65k, 43k, 45k, 50k, 48k. So I think mid 40s is still clinging to reasonable, even if it's sitting at the low end of that scale.
how long has it been since Sydney was as bad as they are right now though?

everyone loves a winner and Sydney unfortunately don't have that kind of groundswell atm

Remarkable how so many relevant omissions Cylon 7 managed in his short post.

The club and the government are edging closer to starting negotiations about renewing the agreement. But the Giants say the clincher will be venue upgrades and expansion.'...
But Cylon 7 somehow missed this bit, also from the Canberra Times – http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl...ra-market-via-gws-giants-20170428-gvuhw9.html
“… McLachlan reiterated the AFL's long-term commitment in Canberra and expected the relationship between the Giants and government to continue regardless of Manuka Oval's future. … Asked if the deal would have the condition of Manuka being improved, McLachlan said: "No, certainly not in my mind. I can't speak for the Giants.
"I want the deal to go ahead because the Giants have played an important role in Canberra and Canberra has been incredibly important to the Giants. "We talk to all governments in all markets about investments in stadia because it's important ... we'll talk about that but I don't see it as related."
The government will invest in upgrading Manuka Oval ahead of Canberra's first international cricket Test in the 2018-19 summer.
… Asked if the AFL would be willing to invest in Manuka Oval improvements, McLachlan said: "We have a history of being the only sport that chips into infrastructure across the country.
"...I was thrilled to see AFL is back as the dominant code in this market. And I'm hoping in five years time it's unassailably No. 1. We'll keep investing and partnering with the Giants to make sure we're delivering."
…It would be really nice if Canberra taxpayers had a say before another 26 million of taxpayers' money is squandered given we have the Mr Fluffy asbestos issue, the looming decentralisation of the APS, new trams, rental unaffordability ... not to mention there are other sports like rugby league, union, football and Olympic sports to consider.
Yeah – funny how Cylon7 somehow made no mention of the $350 million commitment by the ACT Gov’t to a new rectangular stadium (despite the fact that neither rugby code or soccer seem presently capable of filling the present rectangular stadium). Why no mention of that?
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...million-canberra-stadium-20170415-gvliz9.html
"... The ACT government says it will push ahead with a long-term vision to build a new stadium in Civic ..."

Speaking of ‘no mention’. Cylon 7 listed the sports above (though without the mention of the new $350m stadium for them) but conveniently ‘forgot’ to mention cricket. Obviously any Manuka Oval redevelopment would assist for test matches, not to mention BBL games. What arrogance and pressure indeed.

Crowd looks fantastic in Canberra

Yep. Atmosphere is pretty good here as well. Crowd is almost 50/50 split in terms of volume so the Dogs have a lot of love. I've been coming to manuka a bit and I've never seen it this packed, could be a record and break 15k...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remarkable how so many relevant omissions Cylon 7 managed in his short post.

But Cylon 7 somehow missed this bit, also from the Canberra Times – http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl...ra-market-via-gws-giants-20170428-gvuhw9.html
“… McLachlan reiterated the AFL's long-term commitment in Canberra and expected the relationship between the Giants and government to continue regardless of Manuka Oval's future. … Asked if the deal would have the condition of Manuka being improved, McLachlan said: "No, certainly not in my mind. I can't speak for the Giants.
"I want the deal to go ahead because the Giants have played an important role in Canberra and Canberra has been incredibly important to the Giants. "We talk to all governments in all markets about investments in stadia because it's important ... we'll talk about that but I don't see it as related."
The government will invest in upgrading Manuka Oval ahead of Canberra's first international cricket Test in the 2018-19 summer.
… Asked if the AFL would be willing to invest in Manuka Oval improvements, McLachlan said: "We have a history of being the only sport that chips into infrastructure across the country.
"...I was thrilled to see AFL is back as the dominant code in this market. And I'm hoping in five years time it's unassailably No. 1. We'll keep investing and partnering with the Giants to make sure we're delivering."
Yeah – funny how Cylon7 somehow made no mention of the $350 million commitment by the ACT Gov’t to a new rectangular stadium (despite the fact that neither rugby code or soccer seem presently capable of filling the present rectangular stadium). Why no mention of that?
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...million-canberra-stadium-20170415-gvliz9.html
"... The ACT government says it will push ahead with a long-term vision to build a new stadium in Civic ..."

Speaking of ‘no mention’. Cylon 7 listed the sports above (though without the mention of the new $350m stadium for them) but conveniently ‘forgot’ to mention cricket. Obviously any Manuka Oval redevelopment would assist for test matches, not to mention BBL games. What arrogance and pressure indeed.

Cyclon 7 has a history of bitterness towards the AFL.

She sees what she wants.

Manuka Oval looks good tonight, having lived in Canberra it can get bitterly cold though, the freezing wind can sweep down from the Brindabellas, Saturday arvo games are better.

It makes sense to upgrade Manuka for a variety of reasons and sports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Atmosphere is pretty good here as well. Crowd is almost 50/50 split in terms of volume so the Dogs have a lot of love. I've been coming to manuka a bit and I've never seen it this packed, could be a record and break 15k...

Wonder what sort of % of the crowd is from interstate, Sydney and the Riverina, that is where the local economy wins.

I grew up in Canberra and Footscray fans were as scarce as hens teeth, Collingwood fans however were a dime a dozen :D

So in the year when they were aiming to equal an 86 year record to win four consecutive flags, as serious contenders I might add, just because they were knocked out in straight sets is the signal for all Hawthorn fans to give up the ghost a few rounds into a new season?

By comparison, the tiges only need a sniff of falling into the final 8, and they can attract 45k against the same opposition, and even the dogs can attract a crowd equivalent to what the Hawks could do BEFORE they won their drought breaking premiership.
Supporters of non-premiership winning clubs might not be aware, but the most exciting times for supporters are when you are rising or when you are at the top. Not when you are falling. Hawthorn supporters are spoiled. After recent success we don't get excited just because we might make the 8.
The crowd was average and as expected. I am sorry that it has you so upset, but to most it is neither disappointing nor pleasing.

Lets get a bit of perspective 14,000 for AFL in Canberra pop 300,000
Only 10,500 at SFS tonight for two traditional Sydney NRL rivals Eels v Bunnies Sydney pop 5 Million

Thats a bloody good crowd on a freezing night in the nations capital
It looked great on TV and was just a wonderful advertisment for Australian Football,tough,skilfull,fast and close.
I dont think Manuka Oval needs a lot spent on it as a 20 -25,000 capacity stadium would be ideal for a city the size of Canberra

Supporters of non-premiership winning clubs might not be aware, but the most exciting times for supporters are when you are rising or when you are at the top. Not when you are falling. Hawthorn supporters are spoiled. After recent success we don't get excited just because we might make the 8.
The crowd was average and as expected. I am sorry that it has you so upset, but to most it is neither disappointing nor pleasing.
Lets see if the Hawks can beat that figure against the Saints as the recent crowds in Launceston have been very poor.

Only 10,500 at SFS tonight for two traditional Sydney NRL rivals Eels v Bunnies Sydney pop 5 Million

It looked great on TV and was just a wonderful advertisment for Australian Football,tough,skilfull,fast and close.
I dont think Manuka Oval needs a lot spent on it as a 20 -25,000 capacity stadium would be ideal for a city the size of Canberra

Yep 20k would be perfect.

St. Kilda have a decent supporter base in Tassie so should be a pretty good crowd, especially considering the Saints have played home games in the past down in Launceston

Manly v Souths tonight but yes two Sydney clubs. Not sure why we always compare AFL & League crowds though

Manly v Souths tonight but yes two Sydney clubs. Not sure why we always compare AFL & League crowds though

His point is that that Canberra crowd, for two out-of-town teams, is extraordinary compared to what two Sydney teams are getting in Sydney on the same night (and it was pretty cool in Canberra tonight).

Reckon the TV ratings for this one will be pretty good. Game down down to the final minute and the largest margin at any point during the game was 13 points. Wasn't pretty intense in terms of pressure but a close margin always trumps that.

Reckon the TV ratings for this one will be pretty good. Game down down to the final minute and the largest margin at any point during the game was 13 points. Wasn't pretty intense in terms of pressure but a close margin always trumps that.

You'd think so but these two teams have two of the smallest supporter bases but it was close and a historic night in Canberra with a full house so you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back