North Korea v South Korea On The Brink Of War

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who has run over a wombat with a car knows you don't mess with these ******s

My mate hit a wombat, rendering his car a write-off from the damage underneath, and the little *er ran away.

'Ard as.

It were a shitbox, but still...classic.

Everyone knew the NK regime was bonkers, except apparently ignoramus President Trump, who has escalated the entire situation by running his mouth off on twitter (Five years ago if you'd told me I'd write that sentence I'll call you crazier than the Kims).

As soon as NK went Nuclear it solidified the regime seemingly forever. Short of NK committing the suicidal act of striking the South or Japan first, the US will never be able to justify its own preemptive strike which could lead to millions of allied civilians, even if that risk is calculated as low.

Unfortunately, now the West and North Korea will be forced to play out this tiresome charade - aggressive exchange of words and missile tests every year or so. This latest meeting of all US Senators at the White House was only further U.S. posturing, it was not a briefing. It was an orchestrated media showcase to demonstrate they are "taking the North Korean threat serious" - "putting all options on the table" (even though there aren't any) - this will only have the affect of further antagonising the NK regime. Senators apparently came out of the meeting with very little new information, and Trump - the idiot who is responsible for this and supposedly convening this stupid meeting only stayed for 15 minutes...has he got something better to do? Probably back on twitter capitalising an "F" for his latest FAKE NEWS tirade.

The U.S. are done. At least when Rome was ruled by Caligula, he wasn't elected and the whole world stage couldn't bear witness to his un-diagnosed insanity.
Trump is doing this to put the heat on China to pressure North Korea. It will be a bargaining tool for the USA CHINA trade deals.

I think Trump is smarter than what people give him credit for.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Trump is doing this to put the heat on China to pressure North Korea. It will be a bargaining tool for the USA CHINA trade deals.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

And so far china has done what in response?

They did nothing when called currency cheats, which he backed down from

They did nothing when he floated killing one china, which he backed down from

They did nothing when he threatened the chinese bases in the south china sea, which he backed down from

Where has trump one anything from Ghyna, because they seem to be the ones outplaying him

And for the record, chinese bans on purchasing dprk coal were initiated before trump started his jedi mind games, as part of the last UN round of sanctions

Everyone knew the NK regime was bonkers, except apparently ignoramus President Trump, who has escalated the entire situation by running his mouth off on twitter (Five years ago if you'd told me I'd write that sentence I'll call you crazier than the Kims)...

Trump had a very specific billion-dollar goal in mind at the time though;

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-thaad-advisor-idUSKBN17U09Y

U.S. President Donald Trump's suggestion that Seoul pay for the THAAD advanced U.S. missile defense system would be an "impossible option," a top foreign policy adviser to South Korean presidential frontrunner Moon Jae-in said on Friday.

Trump told Reuters in an interview on Thursday he wants South Korea to pay for the $1 billion Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system.

"Even if we purchase THAAD, its main operation would be in the hands of the United States," said Kim Ki-jung, a foreign policy adviser to Moon and professor at Seoul's Yonsei University.

"So purchasing it would be an impossible option. That was our topic when we were considering the options," Kim said...

But since then Trump has had to fold

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-usa-idUSKBN17W04T

South Korea said the United States had reaffirmed it would shoulder the cost of deploying the THAAD anti-missile system, days after President Donald Trump said Seoul should pay for the $1 billion battery designed to defend against North Korea.

In a telephone call on Sunday, Trump's national security adviser, H.R. McMaster, reassured his South Korean counterpart, Kim Kwan-jin, that the U.S. alliance with South Korea was its top priority in the Asia-Pacific region, the South's presidential office said...

I wonder if the situation will de-escalate now?

So mexico aint paying for the wall, nato aint paying the usa back dues, and now korea aint paying for a us owned and operated defense system.....

When do the winning deals start? Even the budget is a one week kick the can

I wonder if he's been convinced that there is nothing to be gained politically by going into North Korea. It's unwanted by the electorate, chastened by the experience of the Gulf War realise that it's not really based on any hard evidence that NK are a real threat.

I wonder if he's been convinced that there is nothing to be gained politically by going into North Korea. It's unwanted by the electorate, chastened by the experience of the Gulf War realise that it's not really based on any hard evidence that NK are a real threat.

Politics he doesn't give a rat's arse about until it's expedient. It's all about creating tension and selling possible solutions. He's a business man. The threat of war is great for Raytheon and Lockheed Martin and General Dynamics and Boeing's Defence Industry division as well as Korea's own contractors. Samsung has its own military subsidiary, as does Daewoo.

Politics he doesn't give a rat's arse about until it's expedient. It's all about creating tension and selling possible solutions. He's a business man. The threat of war is great for Raytheon and Lockheed Martin and General Dynamics and Boeing's Defence Industry division as well as Korea's own contractors. Samsung has its own military subsidiary, as does Daewoo.

The pivot is on. First hes a smart cookie, now trump would be honoured to meet him.

Dprk didnt blink, china didnt blink, so the deadly awesome sub armada is shelved and its back to talk

You just have to look past the rhetoric. I think we're going to see this a fair bit during Trump's time as El Presidenté.

China has shown how to play him, just say nothing.

Guy cannot handle silence and effectively negotiates himself down

But...4d chess.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This would be the Trump that actually asked his negotiators to remind NK and 'Jina' that the US has nuclear submarines? As if anyone on the planet didn't know that already?
Ah, I'll go with what we know thanks.

This would be the Trump that actually asked his negotiators to remind NK and 'Jina' that the US has nuclear submarines? As if anyone on the planet didn't know that already?
Ah, I'll go with what we know thanks.

Trump just wanted everyone to know he has things that are long and hard and full of seamen that can be waved at Jina in blind hope of being accommodated.

Trump-rejected.jpg

DENIED!!!!!

China has shown how to play him, just say nothing.

Guy cannot handle silence and effectively negotiates himself down

But...4d chess.....

Oh China have played him. China have played him very well. Got him to backflip on all policies, and got the US to ignore other important areas (S China Sea). They now have got to the stage that Trump is effectively spruiking Chinese foreign policy in the area. Never thought I'd ever see a US govt criticising S Korea and effectively trying to put roadblocks up against he THAAD

Last edited:
Give any leader time before you judge them and make your judgements on long term results. Obama allowed a nation to become divided, succeeded on health care but failed on almost every other measure. Did we know this after 100 days about him? Hell no.

Give any leader time before you judge them and make your judgements on long term results. Obama allowed a nation to become divided, succeeded on health care but failed on almost every other measure. Did we know this after 100 days about him? Hell no.

Actually we do

Obama sacrificed almost everything to get the aca through, and even then it was highly.compromised.

That period set the tone for the rest of his presidency

The media are getting a good run out of this. You'd think this was equivalent to the Cuban missile crisis.
I had been wondering just how serious the situation is. The actual threat of nuclear war if was genuinely real would surely be dominating news much more than it is.

It all seems a little unreal

I had been wondering just how serious the situation is. The actual threat of nuclear war if was genuinely real would surely be dominating news much more than it is.

The north are a real concern but the north love to play games just before every south korean election.

My question though is, given this is the case, are media outlets being just as reckless by winding up an uninformed electorate? Should they not be highlighting this North Korean nonsense is consistent with past behaviour?

Should they not report that China's, the US's, SK, Japan and Australia's response is consistent with the past?

but I guess that doesn't sell papers.

I agree. I don't get the sense that we're actually heading towards a nuclear war. Trump said a day or so ago that he'd even be willing to meet Kim! The one thing about Trump is that he seems to be good at not telegraphing his moves in advance. My guess is there are still a number of options on the table before war is even discussed.

You think it's possible N. Korea could already have nukes in major ports ready to detonate?

a dirty bomb wouldn't be hard to make. it wouldn't be very effective other than the "terrorism" and fear value.

a dirty bomb wouldn't be hard to make. it wouldn't be very effective other than the "terrorism" and fear value.

fear value can be just as destructive

look at Sept 11 and the decade that followed

fear value can be just as destructive

look at Sept 11 and the decade that followed

The fear factor would be high for a few hours, until the government informed people of the low risk.

You'd need to live in the blast area for months even years, assuming it wasn't cleaned up, to gain enough exposure to cause concern.

But there fear of the unknown would be off the charts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back