Preview Round 8. Gold Coast V Port Adelaide. CHINA

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that a contradiction from 2 'fans'.?
Not sure why you would think they would contradict. I quoted a stat for the year to date. The other stat clearly states 'after round 3'. You obviously don't pay much attention. Even if you do watch the replays, I doubt you actually take much of it in.

There's a pattern to our big losses
Just not there in the first quarter then there a bit later on then not there when it's obvious we're not going to win
We actually held Port for a while in the late 2nd and 3rd quarters then fell away again
Having said that Port ,GWS and Adelaide will be there at the pointy end this year
The good teams expose weakness incredibly well and that's what they did to us
I rate Port and Hinkley and they pressured our gameplan to shreds and bullied our underdone kids
Will we get better?
I think so but like I said after the Adelaide loss we need a core of say 18 really good players playing together for a long time
That's when belief and success will come
No point dissecting this game any further IMO
It was a one off
We play them at Metricon we still might have been pasted but maybe not

That's great - but did these lead directly to Suns goals ? - and how many goals were scored by his direct opponent on rebound ..?
If he breaks the lines and has an effective disposal (85%DE in 2017) then as far as I'm concerned, he has his done his job well. He can't be responsible for another player turning it over up field that causes his good work to not result in a score.

Missing Swallow's grunt :(
Oh can it, Still the second best defender we've got. Bet you wernt calling Gaz a joke the other year. campaigner.

Barlow with the goalmouth scramble! Future trivia answer right there.
Gaz does his injuries actually playing the game and getting smashed.
Rory 'tissue paper' Thompson does a six week injury tripping over blades of grass.
He has serious issues.

The numbers crunch:

• 38 points is the equal third-lowest score in Gold Coast's club history.

• It was just the second time in 38 matches Tom Lynch was held goalless.

• In the second half the Suns kicked an ordinary 1.9

Gaz does his injuries actually playing the game and getting smashed.
Rory 'tissue paper' Thompson does a six week injury tripping over blades of grass.
He has serious issues.
Maybe he doesn't do those extras away from the club to get himself right. or maybe he's just getting bulls*** advice from the club physios. Hard to say but somethings not right. Same thing with McKenzie.

Do you reckon we will win. Because I have a really good feeling. I had a terrible feeling about yesterday. Melbourne always lose in Alice Springs, so maybe.

We don't travel well anywhere but having said that Alice Springs has a Cairnsy vibe
Honestly, we play a decent backline and get Swallow back in and under and after the boys have a rest we'll go close
Melbourne are half decent...and half ordinary
A bit like us really, so it depends which one of us turns up

We don't travel well anywhere but having said that Alice Springs has a Cairnsy vibe
Honestly, we play a decent backline and get Swallow back in and under and after the boys have a rest we'll go close
Melbourne are half decent...and half ordinary
A bit like us really, so it depends which one of us turns up
If the same Melbourne show up who bullied the Crows into submission, we will get smashed.

If the same Melbourne show up who bullied the Crows into submission, we will get smashed.
Not to mention the Melbourne that showed up to Metricon last year...
I nervously took my young family to that game for the first time. Nervous because I thought they would want to leave before the end... turns out, it was only me who wanted to leave..

Last edited:
Desperately need to get Swallow, Hanley and Rischitelli back in this team to have any hope of consistent performance. Maybe Hallahan as a stop gap until Rischa comes back.

Aaron Hall is a great player to watch when he's on but he and Martin seriously look like stick figure outside types out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Desperately need to get Swallow, Hanley and Rischitelli back in this team to have any hope of consistent performance. Maybe Hallahan as a stop gap until Rischa comes back.

Aaron Hall is a great player to watch when he's on but he and Martin seriously look like stick figure outside types out there.

When healthy, we have a good club. I guess being able to survive injuries with depth is the key to being a great club.

When healthy, we have a good club. I guess being able to survive injuries with depth is the key to being a great club.
Interesting to see 'the barometer' article in the HS today. Suns injury list Rosa, Swallow, McKenzie, Rischa, Thompson, Ah Chee, Day, Hanley, etc. Port - nil injuries.
I think we're behind them when at full strength let alone when they have a full list to choose from, and we are down 8-9.
Doesn't excuse us from having a dip but we were never going to win with that stat. I doubt we'll ever be healthy at this rate.

Interesting to see 'the barometer' article in the HS today. Suns injury list Rosa, Swallow, McKenzie, Rischa, Thompson, Ah Chee, Day, Hanley, etc. Port - nil injuries.
I think we're behind them when at full strength let alone when they have a full list to choose from, and we are down 8-9.
Doesn't excuse us from having a dip but we were never going to win with that stat. I doubt we'll ever be healthy at this rate.
Agree
Injuries beget injuries
It's our curse and until its broken we can't really look forward to better times
A fully fit Port will go far simply because they are fully fit
Would love to see the stats between players used/position on ladder- actually I wouldn't because I know the answer now
So frustrating as a supporter

was a pretty cool event overall, we got great seats front row behind the goals, that we didnt kick through, all the talk is we are coming back and want to come back as a Club
Had a function after the match at the hotel, was a pretty low key affair talked about Leslie with the coaches and they think he will get there which surprised me
Watching the guys close up it was frustrating and dissapointing if they werent falling over they were handballing or kicking to under pressure players and under pressure players were asking for the ball, Brooksby and Leslie looked nervous and indecisive in the backline especially early
Port were switched on and way more physical and up for the day, it was a massive Port Adelaide event they had 5000 there that travelled as a group, I think its a ripper of a deal for us but we have to clearly play better and put more pre game effort into getting supporters and Gold Coasters up there
Sexton got a corkie
Brooksby was a bad choice for the day
Steven May was brilliant, boy was he giving it to Leslie and Brooksby, he doesnt hold back, he is a freak and can read the play better than most
Had a good chat to Micky Barlow, ripper bloke and just up and about around our guys really relishing the opportunity and putting a lot back, on the ground he seems to always be at the right place at the right time too, he and Lyons didn't mind a few beers after the game
The boys were pretty flat afterwards but had a chat with JJ, May, Martin and Bowesy
Even caught up with the famous Jordan Ablett, was Gazzas birthday, I think his Mum, Nathan and a couple of other family members were all there too
Mark Evans spoke and spoke well, very impressed with him and the coaching staff are too
The most random thing happened at the hotel lobby having a beer after the game Mark Stevens (Stevo) walks in and walks over to two of us in Suns gear and asks us how we saw the game, had a 5 min convo with him about what went down, he seemed like a pretty affable guy, actually made a couple of good observations about the game particularly that we had posession for about 10 minutes in the second quarter and kicked 5 points which pretty much was the last chance we had to turn the momentum around

Last edited:
was a pretty cool event overall, we got great seats front row behind the goals, that we didnt kick through, all the talk is we are coming back and want to come back as a Club
Had a function after the match at the hotel, was a pretty low key affair talked about Leslie with the coaches and they think he will get there which surprised me
Watching the guys close up it was frustrating and dissapointing if they werent falling over they were handballing or kicking to under pressure players and under pressure players were asking for the ball, Brooksby and Leslie looked nervous and indecisive in the backline especially early
Port were switched on and way more physical and up for the day, it was a massive Port Adelaide event they had 5000 there that travelled as a group, I think its a ripper of a deal for us but we have to clearly play better and put more pre game effort into getting supporters and Gold Coasters up there
Sexton got a corkie
Brooksby was a bad choice for the day
Steven May was brilliant, boy was he giving it to Leslie and Brooksby, he doesnt hold back, he is a freak and can read the play better than most
Had a good chat to Micky Barlow, ripper bloke and just up and about around our guys really relishing the opportunity and putting a lot back, on the ground he seems to always be at the right place at the right time too, he and Lyons didn't mind a few beers after the game
The boys were pretty flat afterwards but had a chat with JJ, May, Martin and Bowesy
Even caught up with the famous Jordan Ablett, was Gazzas birthday, I think his Mum, Nathan and a couple of other family members were all there too
Mark Evans spoke and spoke well, very impressed with him and the coaching staff are too
The most random thing happened at the hotel lobby having a beer after the game Mark Stevens (Stevo) walks in and walks over to two of us in Suns gear and asks us how we saw the game, had a 5 min convo with him about what went down, he seemed like a pretty affable guy, actually made a couple of good observations about the game particularly that we had posession for about 10 minutes in the second quarter and kicked 5 points which pretty much was the last chance we had to turn the momentum around

Sounds like a ripper trip, if only the results were better in our favour.

Kind of wish I'd gone in the end even though the result was poor
That pattern!
2nd quarter with a bit of luck and a couple of goals we could have made it a contest
But we didn't, and that bitter disappointment of watching your team get run over set in
When we're getting beaten you just need to see our players lay a tackle, run past, give a handball
Come off and say
At least I was there
I did something

Kind of wish I'd gone in the end even though the result was poor
That pattern!
2nd quarter with a bit of luck and a couple of goals we could have made it a contest
But we didn't, and that bitter disappointment of watching your team get run over set in
When we're getting beaten you just need to see our players lay a tackle, run past, give a handball
Come off and say
At least I was there
I did something

Too much thinking going on.

Lucky they didn't want to break away early for a family dinner before we sung the song or it could have had all the hallmarks of Michael Clarke / Simon Katich fiasco. If Gazza was Michael Clarke who would have been Simon Katich and grabbed him by the throat (and you can't say Campbell Brown as he is no longer at the club)?

Lucky they didn't want to break away early for a family dinner before we sung the song or it could have had all the hallmarks of Michael Clarke / Simon Katich fiasco. If Gazza was Michael Clarke who would have been Simon Katich and grabbed him by the throat (and you can't say Campbell Brown as he is no longer at the club)?
Jesse Joyce... I sometimes wonder if we would do better without Gaz..
The players would breath easier and not be afraid to express themselves both on the field and off it...
It's like being around royalty, you just unconscously watch your p's and q's around him and while you are doing that your mind is occupied and not free just to react naturally..
Ok, so I've just started to realise this post is starting to sound like rubbish but i promise it started off with the best of intentions..

Jesse Joyce... I sometimes wonder if we would do better without Gaz..
The players would breath easier and not be afraid to express themselves both on the field and off it...
It's like being around royalty, you just unconscously watch your p's and q's around him and while you are doing that your mind is occupied and not free just to react naturally..
Ok, so I've just started to realise this post is starting to sound like rubbish but i promise it started off with the best of intentions..
Think you're onto something to some extent and we saw this phenomenon years ago in the games without Gaz with a select few (like Harley :( ) grab the game by the throat in his absence

Sounds like a ripper trip, if only the results were better in our favour.
yeah, was a real shame because we wanted to soak it all in and was hard to banish the ugly result from the mind to keep it enjoyable, a well fought loss would have been more manageable I guess, clearly though PA had so much more skin in the whole event from supporters, to preparation, to people on the ground in China , to involvement at grass roots footy level in China......our club didn't invest in committing to the event at a deep enough level and got shown up, whoever scheduled their flights and airlines should be shot, we travel to China multiple times a year and you couldnt have ****ed it up more than their travel arranger.................

gold

Remove this Banner Ad

Back