Opinion 2017 Draft Discussion - Pick 3 - Poll added

Who we are likely to take at Pick 3 .......

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We're sitting 16th at the moment, and Hawthorn are below us on percentage only (and not much of it). We've also just lost one of our best one-on-one defensive players for the rest of the year. Oh, and we're playing a heap of kids who will, whether we like it or not, start to get tired as the end of the season approaches.

Still expecting us to snaffle another couple of wins somewhere, but Hawthorn will do the same.

Pick 2 or 3 seems likely.

I tend to agree with this.

We're sitting 16th at the moment, and Hawthorn are below us on percentage only (and not much of it). We've also just lost one of our best one-on-one defensive players for the rest of the year. Oh, and we're playing a heap of kids who will, whether we like it or not, start to get tired as the end of the season approaches.

Still expecting us to snaffle another couple of wins somewhere, but Hawthorn will do the same.

Pick 2 or 3 seems likely.

FBI is just an optimistic poster. He figured we would be pushing for finals this year when we were at this stage last season.

Pick 3 or 4 imo

My early intuitions FWIW.

Looking like a Pick between 2 to 5 ish.

So assuming we get Pick 2 and have our virtual choice after the Brions:

I really like Fogarty

I really like Davies-Uniacke

I kinda like L.O'Brien

I don't like Rayner

Lot of water to go under bridge yet, but LDU and Fogarty standouts for me.

My early intuitions FWIW.

Looking like a Pick between 2 to 5 ish.

So assuming we get Pick 2 and have our virtual choice after the Brions:

I really like Fogarty

I really like Davies-Uniacke

I kinda like L.O'Brien

I don't like Rayner

Lot of water to go under bridge yet, but LDU and Fogarty standouts for me.

Can you dig up another Williamson TW ?
This year for us ... not Geelong !! Lol

Haven't really seen this year's crops, but was really impressed with Sam Hayes at last year's championship. And he's been in slashing form this year. Just can't see a ruckman going top 10. The last ruckman I really liked was Brodie Grundy. I thought he was top 3 in that draft pool, and he didn't end up going until pick 18.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In that infamous Rogers draft year (Boekhorst/Rainbow) i went for Goddard with our 1st and Blakely with our 2nd in the lead up to the draft and as it panned out , both were available at the selections .
Goddard seems to have slipped off the face of the earth (Achilles) ? but Blakely is coming along very nicely now .
There's no guarantees of course but it's an interesting exercise for us mug punters out there each year ...

My philosophy is that with a high end pick like the one we'll have (top ~5), you not only have to pick for just talent, you have to pick for talent + the likelihood that you'll get the opportunity to pick up a similar type of player when (if) you start travelling back up the ladder.

That's why true KPF's go earlier, you simply don't get the chance to pick them in general terms once your picking from after around the 10-12 mark.

The same goes for certain types of midfielders.
The high possession outside mids with good pace/endurance and foot skills will always go high because they just aren't that common...

Similarly, explosive/dynamic mids with break away pace and high contested v uncontested possession ratio will go high; even if they don't necessarily accumulate huge possession numbers (although it obviously helps).

It's for these reasons I don't like picking up midfielders who rack up big numbers, and may be very good players but but don't have any real stand out weapons with top 5 picks. A good example was Parish, who while is a good player, isn't elite in either an outside or inside fashion. He's just very good at both.

IMO we need mids, and either of the above type would be significantly useful.
Of the two though, I would be leaning towards the explosive, inside variety.
We are lucky in that by the end of this season its highly likely there will be several powerful fwd-come inside midfielders to select from, and we'll be selecting from a position where we can pick the cream of that crop.

In the past I've followed the u/18's quite closely, I used to work part time in recruitment. This year unfortunately I'll be away for the most part of the season. As a result I'm not going to bother following it (to the extent I have in the past at least).

I think we're in a really strong position this year if we were to go with selecting an inside mid.

My personal favourite-
Luke Davies-Uniacke (prick to spell)

Goddard looked completely lost on the weekend, but he is coming back from injury.
Never saw it in Goddard in the same way as Cordy, Vickers-Willis and even Durdin.

Another who didn't impress me in his draft year was Peter Wright. Not sure what it was, but he didn't seem 'serious'

Wright certainly has the tools but yes , he does play a little bit "nice" ...
I'm for a premium mid with our 1st at the draft this year but of course that could change should Silvagni trade our 2018 1st etc for a Hopper/Kennedy combo and/or lure a Fyfe or Martin as a FA .
Champs looming and looking forward to the discussion .

Anyone know how good Brander is, surely if we are keen for another KPF he would be a better path to down than Schache? In saying that I want a mid

At this early stage, not sure who we should pick, or whether it be KPP or a midfielder. All I am confident of, is that 40%, approximately, will be on KPP/Ruckmen that will be added to our list via trade/draft.

If I was to take a punt, this far out, I believe it will be a KPP with our first pick

Cameron Rayner, please.

Knightmare:

1. Cameron Rayner (VIC)
Best position: General forward
Height, weight: 187cm, 88kg
Recruited from: Western Jets
Projected draft range: Top 10
Similar to: Dustin Martin
April Ranking: 8
Rationale: Rayner's 23 disposals and three goals in the AFL Academy MCG curtain-raiser sees Rayner rise in draft calculations. Winning 68 percent of the ball in contested situations through his first two TAC Cup games and being as prolific as he is forward of centre is a winning combination.
Strengths:
- Contested ball
- Scoreboard impact
- Contested marking
- Strong hands overhead
- Marking threat on the lead
- Powerful and damaging kick
- Vision
- Decision making
- Damaging both as a forward and midfielder
- Clearances
- Evasiveness
- Strength
- Powerful fend-off
- Stands up through tackles
- Clean at ground level
- Production
- Big-game performances
Weaknesses:
- Endurance

Yes please!

He moves just like Martin, hips out in front when he pushes forward (if that makes sense), keeps his elbows locked in contests.........

Big fan immediately.

Don't focus too much on the top end of the draft - Last year, GWS traded -> mccarthy + pick 7 + 16 + 34 (patfull)+ 72 (pass) for picks 2 + 31 + 51 + 60 -> removing late picks that GWS wouldn't have used, the trade becomes pick 2 for 7 + 16 + mccarthy

What is the 2017 equivalent of such a trade?

Optimistic but perhaps pick 2 + 57 -> kelly (7) + hopper (16) + cap space player(?) + GWS 2nd rounds (picks 24 + 28, i.e. mccarthy) is possible?

Back