Opinion Don Pyke general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So you don't think Walsh brought an elite culture with him?

I think Walsh spoke a lot of hot air.

The words were good but he didn't follow up with actions.

His tactical decisions on gameday were mediocre, our game plan was full of holes and our match selection was as horrific as it has ever been.

I said non successful clubs.

Getting to grand finals means nothing, ask Port.

Winning grand finals is success.

Just because your reading comprehension is as non-existent as normal doesn't mean you have to get pissy at me.

poaching coaches from clubs who have won Grand finals does not guaranteed success and The most important thing a coach needs is talented players.

On the plus side he dropped Thommo. Seemingly for good. As Walsh dropped VB.

Mackay is a survivor. Like a cockroach.

If McGovern was fit Charlie would be up the ground and not required as the forward pressure man because our forward line wouldn't include Otten, i.e. 4 pressureless talls.

Maybe even if Menzel was fit Charlie would be up the ground. If Seedsman was fit...

Seems we really don't have another wingman in reserve.

Dmac is the ultimate Bradbury.

I'm holding judgement on Pyke because of his good work on Thommo. But if better options become available and dmac remains that will change things
On the other hand Don would have been part of the decision process to keep Thommo.

Honest, accountable and ruthless?

He's ruthless, but his players love him because he's honest and clear with them.

What conversation do you reckon younger Crows players are having tonight?
An honest one...but not with the coach
I go back to the conversation I had with the ex player this preseason and the angst about Mackays continued selection, the retention of Thommo and the lack of communication he received. Undoubtedly some of the rest of the squad who aren't starting 22 may be feeling the same.

That'd be my guess.

They were all good mates with Lyons, and there was plenty of angst about his poor treatment; I'd be surprised if this wasn't the same.

Both Wigg and Gooch would be rightly pissed. Shooter hangs with the non-cool crew from photos I've seen. I can't imagine loyalty to the jumper convo amongst the group would gain a lot of traction.

On the other hand Don would have been part of the decision process to keep Thommo.

I don't think we need to get into this again, but I genuinely reckon he didn't see any risk there as we were going in 2 short anyway. If there was still someone they wanted we'd have been able to add them to the rookie list for no sal cap space.

I don't think we need to get into this again, but I genuinely reckon he didn't see any risk there as we were going in 2 short anyway. If there was still someone they wanted we'd have been able to add them to the rookie list for no sal cap space.
I agree we don't have to but it's about the list numbers as they will be combined more likely at the end of 2017.

And if we have no intention of playing Thommo why is he on the list? We are paying him something.

I agree we don't have to but it's about the list numbers as they will be combined more likely at the end of 2017.

And if we have no intention of playing Thommo why is he on the list? We are paying him something.

50% piss weakedness, 50% gold watch for time served. But this Mackay re-selection has me concerned there might be another 50% that he's actually going to play. If we lose an inside mid in the next few weeks, will he get a gig before Wigg?

Senior experience for the SANFL side. I wonder if we would have kept him if they kept the "ex player" rule.

Both Wigg and Gooch would be rightly pissed. Shooter hangs with the non-cool crew from photos I've seen. I can't imagine loyalty to the jumper convo amongst the group would gain a lot of traction.
Lucky for us Gov seems to be tight with Pyke.

Did last night's demolition of Freo help to restore your faith in Don Pyke?
I doubt that his message to the players has changed much since Round One and if the Crows come to play, as they certainly did last night, they're going to win many more than they lose. When the Crows execute Pyke's plan, they are awesome. If they don't, Pyke will get the sack.
As Pyke himself would say, "That's what we signed up for".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt that his message to the players has changed much since Round One and if the Crows come to play, as they certainly did last night, they're going to win many more than they lose. When the Crows execute Pyke's plan, they are awesome. If they don't, Pyke will get the sack.

My faith hasn't really waivered in Don, but i would hate for this week to be a carbon copy of the 2 games vs Geelong last year....

Wouldn't be a good look

My faith hasn't really waivered in Don, but i would hate for this week to be a carbon copy of the 2 games vs Geelong last year....

Wouldn't be a good look

Yeah this week is huge in the context for Pyke, has he learnt to deal with the Geelong gameplan and come up with a counter to it, or will we simply back in our systems once again to get the job done. I hope its the former, I fear it will be the latter.

I liked his (or Campo's?) brilliant but simple plan to free up Sloane. Forget the rough stuff from team mates, Sloane effectively tagged Fyfe until Sloane's tag had to play off him as we had a free midfielder as a result.

It also helped that we actually got contested ball unlike previous weeks. Greenwood's an important part of this, he blocks the outlet handball from a pack better than anyone.

The transition from joke, to ironically going along with it, to being a little uncomfortable at the thought of being taken seriously, to being serious, to defending Pyke from a sacking...

You could write papers on this sort of stuff! Great thread.

I go back to the conversation I had with the ex player this preseason and the angst about Mackays continued selection, the retention of Thommo and the lack of communication he received. Undoubtedly some of the rest of the squad who aren't starting 22 may be feeling the same.
the landscaper?

Yeh, it's really not a game to game thing. Nothing happened last night that we didn't see last year or even under Campo. Beating up on s**t teams or teams that, as you put it, haven't turned up themselves has been our trademark. We know we've got the squad to finish 6th, it's all but etched in stone. We need to see how we're going to match the ferocious attack at the contest when the heats turned up so we can progress 2 more weeks into September. This is where we've continually failed and have again this year and the likelihood of not experiencing that ferocity 2 weeks straight in September is extremely low. It starts with weeding out the proven failures under those conditions.

Yeah this week is huge in the context for Pyke, has he learnt to deal with the Geelong gameplan and come up with a counter to it, or will we simply back in our systems once again to get the job done. I hope its the former, I fear it will be the latter.

I'm not convinced there's much of a plan. We get smoked with relentless pressure at the contest and revert back to our hack it forward 'system'. If you're on top in the middle against us, drop 1 or 2 back for us to kick it to on the occasions where we win the clearance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back