Autopsy Geelong defeated by Swans by 46 points..

Remove this Banner Ad

They certainly would have helped, as would cocky and danger. We beat Hawks a couple of weeks ago. They beat swans last week. It's can't be a 46 point gap really.
We shat ourselves and nearly lost a game that shouldn't have been close to the Hawks - in no way did that game reflect well on us. Dangerfield is a bandaid solution and we can't keep arguing that our injury prone players like Cocky, McCartney, Gregson, Menzel etc are going to fix anything. It's too big a what if argument when the reality is they will never manage an extended period on the field to prove their worth.

Ok so after calming down somewhat and having time to think, I don't think things are as bad as they seem with this loss tonight.

Sydney were kicking goals out of their arse in the first quarter, much like Adelaide were two weeks ago. Not alot you can do to stop that just have to get on top from the get go and not give them a chance down the other end in the first place. Our bad first quarters put us behind the 8 ball all too often, if we can figure out how to fix that we are halfway to beating these teams.

We were undisciplined especially Duncan giving away the goal and then they get another one on top of that from another free kick. Theres two goals they should never have had. We missed far too many shots at goal which after all this time we STILL haven't fixed. This is a BIG problem that hurts us alot. Can they not do more at training to fix this? Finally we have guys like Dangerfield, Menzel, Cocky, Blicavs etc out and Selwood injured.

If we can fix a few of these things and get a good run with injuries we can beat anyone on our day. The next few weeks will define our season. Need to play smart, ruthless football and kick straight. Easier said than done but we are capable of it.

Last edited:
im still optimisitic going forward. everyone is underestimating how serious our injury list is. its been diabolical for 6 weeks now. a night like this was bound to happen. but we have to start getting players back next week and hopefully not lose anyone from tonight. plus hopefully now the experiment of playing a kid to punish a better player is over.

This is an important point.

I've always hated the way the phrase "injuries are no excuse" is used to remove injuries from the table of "acceptable" factors to cite when listing reasons for a downturn in performances and/or outcomes. The idea seems to be predicated, as with so many false premises that exist within footy fandom, on the fallacious overestimation of the value of endeavour and workrate relative to the value of talent and skill. Quality of personnel on the park is the biggest factor in all sports, including AFL, in sporting results, and therefore it seems to me obvious that citing of injuries as an an explanation for a loss is not a practice that should carry a stigma.

I have no qualms in stating that the main (not *only*, but certainly *main*) reason we lost tonight is due to our injury list.

Let's not get too melodramatic after one loss. Crippled with injuries to the majority of our regular forward line, best player out suspended, 2nd best player injured part way through the match, many of our depth players who would usually come in to cover for the injured also out injured so we had to play many more kids than we would choose. The scoreline blew out in towards the end, but we didn't get thumped from start to finish.

I think some just like to take every opportunity to bag the coach. Tonight it was on the players. Really poor kicking, both in the field and at the goals, took the wind out of our sails. Some really woeful on-field discipline by senior players sealed the deal. Convert half of the easy ones and we would have been right in it at 3/4 time, and I don't think the heads would have dropped so early in the last. Apart from the crappy idea of playing Taylor forward until the dumbness of that decision dawned and he was switched down back, I don't think the coaching or game plan was a problem. The execution by the players was ordinary, and I think Scott would have been as frustrated about it, and probably more so, than we were.

The kids are kids, and are expected to make mistakes in a high pressure game. That said, I was keen on sticking with Buzza before tonight, but I've changed that opinion. Nowhere near ready. Stanley or Black would have been far better options tonight. Buzza will be good, but isn't yet, and needs to work on his game in the VFL.

Kolo is a different story. He's not a kid, been in the system for some years now, but just isn't up to AFL football and I don't think he will get better. Being a defender and having really poor awareness does not make for a long or stellar career. Twos and then trade for whatever we can get.

Tom Hawkins, how dumb can you be?? Already without much of our forward line and he goes and gives the MRP the opportunity to rub him out for a match. Duncan the same. People can harp on about game plans and coaches and whine about umps, but the stupidity of some of our senior players really needs to be put under a bigger spotlight.

Tom Stewart is has become vital for us, a real working-class star. Apart from his goal kicking Menegola was good, right in the guts is by far his best position. I had doubts about Parsons a couple of weeks ago but he's quickly cementing himself in the best 22. Not sure exactly what role C Guthrie is playing week to week, but whatever it is he's doing it poorly. Only staying in until others are fit.

Spare me the melodrama about our season being over. We are second, and just trying to tread water for a few rounds while we get some players back. We've done it pretty well so far, one loss was probably expected and doesn't mean the sky is falling. And we'll probably lose more while our fit playing stocks are thin. It's all about making the Top 8 and then the game starts again in finals - and by then we should have a fitter list to choose from.

On to Richmond, hopefully better kicking, better discipline and a better result.

Go Catters!

I have been surprised more than once by MRP "descriptions" of what actually happened, it is apparent that they use cameras and anatomical models not readily available to the general public.

I am not sure that the 'models' they use can really be described in any functional or logical way :p

Not blaming the umpires, but...
Hyper technical umpiring tonight, ruined the flow of the game. Crap calls both ways, but we seemed to be more negatively affected.
25 free kicks both ways = 50 That is beyond the pale. Like life in a modern society completely over umpired and did ruin the flow of game. Having said that 30 players on the ball and the scrums that are created make this game almost unwatchable. A particular umpire with a shaved head never seems to give Geelong anything but grief. Geelong were dismal also. 12 decent players play for Geelong you need at least 18 to win this comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish.

As someone who had a fair size bet on the swans I was watching the cats closely.
They had a crack.

At one stage in the 3rd quarter we were $10 and only down 22.
I had a real good think about it. Because we were showing enough endeavour to close that gap in no time.

But then I decided we didn't have the cattle. I seriously wouldn't worry about tonight. Next week is the crunch. (Assuming we don't lose hawk and dunc).
Good summary. They did have a crack.

The only part where they didn't have a crack was confident leading and confident ball movement. I don't think they truly believed they could win

Again......don't blame the blokes who are filling the gaps. Blame blokes like your namesake who want a free ride and are getting it
The culture at this club is as bad as I can remember
I'm not blaming them. The truth is that we're not going to win many games when those 7 account for a third of our side.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Not sure that superman could have coached us to a win tonight. People saying we haven't learnt this and we have learned that. Come on get realistic. We could not win tonight with the below.

Games

Simpson 2
Buzza 3
Z Guthrie 4
Parfitt 9
Stewert 14
Parsons 14
Menegola 23
Thurlow 36
Kolo 40
Bews 43

You simply don't win AFL games when 10 players have played less than 40 games and 6 less than 15. Arrogant selections yes. Poor coaching, no

This! It was obvious before the first bounce. Kolo has second most games out of that lot and was terrible all day.

There's some positives to come out of it. Scott Selwood looks good. Thurlow had 23 touches, 9 contested, 5 clearances, 5 inside 50s and 4 rebound 50s. So he was certainly involved, which is a long way from earlier in the year. Smith was terrific. Parsons will be a gun, and Simpson looks very impressive.

For a lot of the night in general play we were very strong. But we wasted our chances and that's momentum killing.

Finishing top 4 might not be our best avenue to a flag anyway, with our post bye struggles. If everything goes well for us, particularly from a personnel perspective, I still think we're a chance.

I'm staying positive. Even if some might rightly describe that as having my "head in the sand"

They certainly would have helped, as would cocky and danger. We beat Hawks a couple of weeks ago. They beat swans last week. It's can't be a 46 point gap really.

In Round 16 last year we played Sydney at Geelong.

With Dangerfield. And Menzel. And McCarthy. And Cockatoo.

It made a big difference too. We only lost by 38 points.

Actually thought we showed a bit considering our kids we were playing... shame we lost the plot early in the last quarter.

Smith was good... and with Simpson and Zuth get through puberty I reckon they will be serious players.

Swans set up well and so well drilled, the switch across to the fat side on the 50 and set up so many good chances for themselves. They also took the most of their chances..
We butchered shots when we had a chance.

No one in the media will mention how many kids we had playing, but the swans players just shifted them around at times and were too strong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back