Are North Being Too Impatient With Their Rebuild?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kelly would have been a great addition for the rebuild.

Martin would have been too if the contract was front loaded.

It is odd that they're having bris levels of trouble trying to lure anyone.

As has been mentioned frequently when people complain about how awful the go home factor is with Northern clubs....Crap clubs have trouble attracting/retaining players regardless of location.

Carlton and Melbourne have had similar issues not so long ago.

North pretty much has to attract someone decent this year.

Not just for the PR side of things, but also because of their salary cap.

If they had over $2.5M 'free' for Dusty/Kelly, then they're going to struggle to reach the minimum payments in the cap by just frontloading existing deals/current players.

Whoever it is, they just need someone to take their money next year. (I'm thinking 3 year, $1.5M deal structured as $1M, 250K 250K ).

Yeah, I reckon North are sort of going about it backwards. They should probably be looking at trading out some talent and stock-piling draft picks over the next two years, then looking at A-Grade talent to trade in to the club around 2019.

Just go to the draft North, Pick 4 and another top 5 pick next year will be great.

Perhaps as well as not having the patience, North don't have any faith in their drafting and development, particularly at the pointier end.

Who was the last top 20 pick for North to actually turn out as expected? Seems like every higher pick they've had over the last 15 years (dating back to Daniel Wells) has turned out to be disappointing or mediocre or limited or injury-prone. They have real trouble turning elite juniors into elite long-term senior players.

Who have they targeted, Martin and Kelly? Fair enough to go after them

I wouldn't listen to half the rumours, heck Carlton is linked to every player looking for a trade each year.
Haven't they also recently targeted Heeney, Treloar and Swallow?

They held onto their core group for too long and relied heavily on their ageing stars, while trying to top up with bit players that didn't really work out.
Hanging around the top too long for little pay off and low draft picks and lack of player development. It's not that they weren't a good side for a reasonable amount of time, but most knew that they weren't quite good enough for a flag and could see the crash coming. Not sure that landing a Kelly or Martin wouldn't have just put them in a similar position. They just need to embrace it now and rebuild properly. Question is, can they survive a rebuild? I mean that in all seriousness, not as a troll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibson 31
Goldstein 29
Hansen 29
Higgins 29
Swallow 30
Tarrant 28
Thomas 29
Thompson 31
Waite 34

All except Waite played round 23.

Stuffed.
Besides Higgins and Tarrant the rest should be pretty easy to replace.
They just have to nail a draft like nearly all good teams have, which is easier said then done.

Completely disagree.

When it comes to club greats - and those who can still play - you let them make the call.

He was 38. So the right thing to do is to let him play at 39 and keep a kid out as the team finishes bottom 4?

Sorry, at 38 he had plenty of opportunity to make the call and he chose to put himself ahead of the team.

100% the right call by the club.

This.

NMFC has consistently failed to develop their talent and is paying the price. I reckon Majak Daw's development at many other clubs would be far ahead of where he is now.

In chasing free agents they have reprised their hollow cheque book recruitment of the 1970s. Unfortunately for them they have the destination appeal of a cheap one way ticket to Iraq.
Totally agree re Majak, a shame for Maj that at this stage he is stuck at North.

Am looking forward to seeing Maj. play & perform well under a different coach.

My opinion is that Turner is in same boat....also gone backwards since soon after arriving.

Gibson 31
Goldstein 29
Hansen 29
Higgins 29
Swallow 30
Tarrant 28
Thomas 29
Thompson 31
Waite 34

All except Waite played round 23.

Stuffed.

I don't think they are that bad off compared to other teams. The avg age was 25 in their last game.

on the weekend WCE had Hurn 30 / Jetta 28 / Kennedy 30 / Lecras 31 / Mackenzie 29 / Mitchell 34 / Priddis 32

with an average age of 27. so its hardly a huge difference between teams.

Personally I think they are the worst list and the furthest away from a flag.

Plus they have Brad Scott who is an embacile.

I don't think Brad Scott is the imbecile. I think the imbecile is the imbecile who can't spell imbecile.:thumbsu:

I don't think they are that bad off compared to other teams. The avg age was 25 in their last game.

on the weekend WCE had Hurn 30 / Jetta 28 / Kennedy 30 / Lecras 31 / Mackenzie 29 / Mitchell 34 / Priddis 32

with an average age of 27. so its hardly a huge difference between teams.

Big difference. WC are a game away from a Prelim not second last.

He was 38. So the right thing to do is to let him play at 39 and keep a kid out as the team finishes bottom 4?

Sorry, at 38 he had plenty of opportunity to make the call and he chose to put himself ahead of the team.

100% the right call by the club.
The why was boomer still being selected to play? Obviously those that he was supposedly holding back were not as good as him. Regardless of age, the best should be selected to play.....!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back