List Mgmt. 2018 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So, confirmation on Bam Bam, Willo & Dev. Gets past the speculation, but never good to hear. Still a bit surprised in regards Bam Bam,, especially with Dev going I would have thought he'd slot into a medium forward position. I can only assume from this that the club has told him where he stands in the inside midfielder queue for next year - and he's behind others - and presumably also that he's either not rated or behind others in the forwards. If we go for a smaller forward line, after losing Dev & Stevie J, I would have thought losing Bam Bam as well would be counter-productive. Says to me that we are looking for speed in that area, whereas Matty is not the quickest.

I think the Griffen speculation about a salary dump is just speculation. The Carlton board, God bless 'em, is always trying to work out how to get maximum Giants for next to no trade value (and admittedly, they've got that these last 2 years) & it would have started there. Only picked up by Purple of the mainstream media I think, so I wonder where he gets his inside info from? I'm in line with Dlanod's thoughts, that a salary dump makes no sense - it would actually hurt us more in the long run. Griffen came with a heavily front-ended contract, and Bullflogs paying for quite a bit of it, so I'd be surprised if there's a huge amount to dump. And if there was, then surely we could keep Devon (who still seems like he'd stay if there was $ available, although I'm sure he's tempted by extra midfield minutes). So, need to push Carlton to cough up as much as possible for the 2 - a first rounder and second rounder (up to them how they get them, although Gibbs to Adelaide might resurface after the GF) is minimum for mine.

Wilson's skills the hardest to replace for mine - speed and booming kick. So, probably just need to forget about a straight in-kind replacement & look for best back available in the draft. In the short term, Adam Kennedy, Isaac Cumming & Lachie Whitfield are the ones who are probably the best chances to audition for that backline spot. But, perhaps a chance for Jake Stein or TOJ to step up.

So, outs: Johnson, Downie, Smith, Kennedy, Wilson plus from rookie list: Patfull, Mzungu.

I'd expect largely a like-for like replacement for the list, so rookies likely to be Nathan Richards (for Downie) & Brendan Myers (for Mzungu). Hopefully we match any bids on Shipley (hopefully #63 & #69 matching up to #45 bids is sufficient) & he replaces Kennedy. That leaves 2 small/medium forwards & 2 backs from our existing two second round picks plus whatever we can get in trades. I think Willo's trade is hard to get value given GWS & Freo's respective lack of first & third round and second round picks. So that might end up being a future second round. Carlton trades would also be problematic - they won't give up #3 for the two (similar to last year's story), so we're probably back to hoping that a Gibbs trade occurs. That still probably only provides pick #17 (or #16, depending on GF result) - really doubt that #10 from a Lever to Melbourne trade would go to Carlton. Not sure that #17 gets anyone we'd really want, so we'll have to see how other trades might play out. Would really like Jack Higgins or Nick Coffield in their respective positions, but going to need a single digit pick for them so unlikely. Just hope we don't get Petrucelle, as I think his speed is overrated against his lack of other skills. The reported 2 year deal for Lloyd may point to an upgrade onto the main list, so possibly only looking for 4 spots anyway, and can do some wheeling and dealing on our second round picks. Interesting trade & draft period for GWS - a little different to past years in some ways. Hopefully the team is up to it - I must admit I was not a fan of their work last year (in trading) so fingers crossed for this year,

Pardon the intrusion but my impression is there's nothing wrong with your list, even without Wilson & co. you'll still be stacked with far more talent than any other club. Maybe another small forward to replace Smith & Stevie J would be handy, I would look at either replacing Mumford (cooked) with Lobb as #1 ruck or trading him (he'd have huge currency as a key forward) because he is sort of wasted in that position and not an elite ruck anyway. Three talls in your forwardline does not work because Lobb & Patton are not mobile enough.

I think the two key areas you need to address are the amount of talent in the coaching box (sorry but I don't rate Leon Cameron...... at all) and the amount of grunt on the park. Never thought I would say this but more honest soldiers like Matt De Boer would probably serve you well, unless you can bring in a coach who can convince your stars to start running both ways. Frankly its criminal watching a team so stacked with talent playing lazy, unimaginative football and I don't think the 'they're still a young team' excuse will hold much longer because looking at the age profile you now have close to the most experienced team. My suggestion is to bring in a hard arse like Brendan McCartney to "encourage" those millennial twerps to start pulling their fingers out.

Current list changes are as follows

Primary List
Stevie J - Retired
Tom downie - Retired
Devon smith - trade request
Matt Kennedy - trade request
Nathan Wilson - trade request

Rookie List
Joel Patfull - Retired
Tendai M'Zungu - Retired
Daniel Lloyd - suspect upgrade

Totally different situation to McCarthy as Wilson signed as a 17 year old with us all the way back in 2010 so his put in 7 years with us so unlike McCarthy has credits in the bank and has a very reasonable reason for seeking trade.

100%
His partner is pregnant with their first child and in a city with almost no support network.

If we don't walk the talk of our family first creed we would be rightly crucified

Wilson out means an opportunity for Perryman to shine and that we no longer have 2 guys in Wilson and Williams playing much the same game, will miss that kick of Wilson's though
Smith and Kennedy out gives plenty of shoulder room for Setterfield to strut his stuff.

Hopefully trades only involve picks coming in and not players, with a bias to 2018 picks to help stretch our list age (and signing stages) profile out.

We need some more players on the list who are happy to do what they do in 17 other clubs and learn their craft in the reserves for a year or three and earn a spot, not expect one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is really left field and I am only going on talent, the need for a defensive fast small forward and minimal risk...

We ask if he is interested in trying out, if he says yes.....
We interview him and do due diligence interviews with others, if he passes....
We give him the required full medical, if he passes.....
We invite him to try for a full pre-season with us, if he passes....
We offer him a spot on the rookie list for 12 months......

Chris Yarran?

Last edited:
Wilson out means an opportunity for Perryman to shine and that we no longer have 2 guys in Wilson and Williams playing much the same game, will miss that kick of Wilson's though
Smith and Kennedy out gives plenty of shoulder room for Setterfield to strut his stuff.

Hopefully trades only involve picks coming in and not players, with a bias to 2018 picks to help stretch our list age (and signing stages) profile out.

We need some more players on the list who are happy to do what they do in 17 other clubs and learn their craft in the reserves for a year or three and earn a spot, not expect one.
I think you're overlooking Bunts and Kenners. I like Perryman, but I'm also a bit relieved when one ir bith if those two are behind the ball.

Perhaps you are right, for mine Buntine replaces Corr and AK is depth
I dont know. Both weren't in our finals side in 2016 but were at the start of this year begore the injury collapse. I think Bunts and Corr are the perfect
zone players with their flexibility, and I like Kenners heart. I see signs of silk in Perryman as well. Guess we cant play them all, down to who comes through the off season and impresses the coaches maybe.

I think we'll miss Wilson, his field kicking is irreplaceable, but it's an area we have depth. He hasn't been running much the last season and a half anyway, tactical decision I think.

Perhaps Smith isn't as locked in to be at Carlton as were been led to believe

FWIW Geelong have already offered Devon a deal and are keen, Carlton probably have the most money to offer him but are likely to have the least trade currency.

FWIW Geelong have already offered Devon a deal and are keen, Carlton probably have the most money to offer him but are likely to have the least trade currency.
Is that presuming that you won't get Stringer? I get that GCS won't get the high pick that they would ideally like for Ablett, but getting Stringer would reduce your trade currency for Dev.

Is that presuming that you won't get Stringer? I get that GCS won't get the high pick that they would ideally like for Ablett, but getting Stringer would reduce your trade currency for Dev.

If Devon chooses us pick 20 will be offered to you i think.

If Stringer comes Dogs are more likely to ask us for our 2018 1st rounder than pick 20 anyway so Devon doesn't affect that.

GC want a player for Ablett (so we can pay part of the players wage because they want money back) not picks anyway so that doesn't affect a Smith trade. GC are being crazy asking for Duncan or Cockatoo my guess is they will settle for 1 or 2 Lang/Thurlow/Murdoch/Horlin-Smith types and we will pay some of the wages.

So long story short Geelong have plenty of room for Smith who they have been keen on for a while, but depends whether Carlton offer more crazy money which they have room to do.

Wilson leaving has a silver lining in that he wasnt a great defender, his strength was running off and long kicking. Much like SJ leaving the fwd line I think it gives Leon the chance to get the team balance right and build the troops around our team strengths. Corr and Tommo keep continuing to play well and deserve to keep their spots so a lock down defender takes the pressure off Shaw and Zac and hopefully not leak goals to small fwds like we did this year.

We need to find a replacement for Shaw as he's just about cooked. I can see the end coming for him very quickly.

Whilst he's always had a clanger in him this year his concentration was just lacking.

He is on a massive deal so we probably can shop for someone pretty special. McGrath is still unsigned for 2019 ;).

I can dream!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back